cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed issues

stormrunner
Dabbler

speed issues

ok thought id better start my own thread as this seems to be an issue that could take some time to resolve
firstly i havent been with plusnet very long but it seems the honeymoon period is over,
i was getting the max speed my line could handle
my download speed was between 7500kbs and 6000kbs droping to around 5000kbs at peek
but over the last two weeks that has altered drasticaly to between 120kbs and 80kbs droping to as low as 20kbs at peek
however iv sat up a few nights to try a few downloads after midnight and noticed that i DO get the max but only after midnight i also did some downloads in the morning and im still getting the max  but as soon as midday comes its back to the snail speed.
sounds like im making this up lol well iv screenshots to back it up
the first was taken at 20 past midnight on the 25/11
the second was taken at 10 past 10 on the morning of the 26/11
the third was taken at 11am on the morning of the 26/11
the forth was taken at 1206 on the afternoon of the 26/11
the fifth was taken at 10past 10 on the evening of the 26/11
all thes downloads were done on files contained it the same serverlocation
as you can see great speed from midnite untill midday then slow and realy slow during peek.
i am getting the speed so i know plusnet can give me the service im paying for, it would be nice if however the fast stuff was during the day and not when i should be asleep

Embarrassed

jim:red Agents name removed from lower picture as per forum rules mod:end
46 REPLIES 46
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: speed issues

What account type are you on and where are you downloading from. Looks to me to be a Rapidshare-esque service which will be classified by our traffic management platform as a download site/server.
Depending on your package, traffic from these sites is likely to be heavily rate limited.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stormrunner
Dabbler

im on an 8 meg unlimited usage  account
the issue is that my speed on any download has changed to slow during the day yet at night(aftermidnight) its as high as it USED to be during the daytime
this isnt only speed on downloads its also ping on a game server i use  that used to be around 25/30  now its up between 250/400.but again if i log on after midnight its ok
rate limited??  if thats so then why are the downloads between midnight and midday so much faster than those between midday and midnight,
this is plain and simply a speed issue .
its also causing log in problems with other online comms programs i use like paltalk and ventrilo which time out because its taking so long to connect.
so i think it has nothing to do with what site im downloading from...  but thanks for the input
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Our Unlimited product has traffic management in place at peak times, which means that you will see slower speeds between midday and midnight.
You can see the speeds you can expect normally here.
That said, we've had some network issues recently, which may mean that you see speeds lower than this.
stormrunner
Dabbler

thanks Mand  for the reply
but iv had max speed on my downloads up untill 2 weeks ago, so whats changed at that time????
thats what no one at plusnet can tell me and why the ticket is still ongoing
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed apart from some of the network problems may have caused slowdowns below the figures you looked at when the network was on Plan B management. On the basis of the info provided, at a quick glance everything seems to be correct.
There may have been the odd instance where traffic management was not applied when updates/system changes were being made.
Don't forget to multiply kB/sec x8 to get kbps.
stonesfan

My major gripe is that I'm paying around £25 per month for the 8mb unlimited, yet am getting a service which is inferior to those who are paying £10 a month on alternative ISPs.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

you are not paying for an 8 Mb connection, you are paying for an "up to 8 Mb", and that depends on how far you are from the exchange, the quality of your line, any rubbish put out in you locality etc.
how come you are paying £25, unlimited doesnt cost that
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@stonesfan  I see from your other posting a few more facts, live with it, start a new thread in Broadband speed, add the results of a BT speed test http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and a http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/, then within a short time one of the "bright sparks" will do some diagnostic test with you
stonesfan

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you are not paying for an 8 Mb connection, you are paying for an "up to 8 Mb", and that depends on how far you are from the exchange, the quality of your line, any rubbish put out in you locality etc.
how come you are paying £25, unlimited doesnt cost that

I understand the point about '8mb'. However, I do not expect  450k when I fancy doing a bit of video streaming during the day! Currently my speed Test has shot up to 3.3Mb, although that is at almost 1am!
I'm going to ask a few neighbours as to what they are currently getting on their BT line ADSL too. That may well prove as to whether the problem is with the exchange.
stormrunner
Dabbler

the upto 8mb is the max speed u could get(its that your paying for)
if ur line is only able to handle 6.5 meg then thats all ull get or so iv been told by BT
so its worth checking to see what your line can handle
my line can handle 6.5 meg and thats what i was getting up untill 2 weeks ago  with great download speeds but thats all changed
and now its like im getting les than 1 meg with realy slow download speeds....
caccy

Stormrunner,
I've had this problem for about two weeks as well. All was ok up to 13Nov then when I next checked my download speed on the 24Nov it had fallen to 320Kbps and has stayed at that  ever since. Just hoping that the current maintenance will bring it back to its normal level. (4300Kbps)
69gillan

I live 302 metres from an exchange, I have unlimited and my speed is no better than dial up, crap broadband from a BT company, worst broadband ever, sorry I ever got it from these cowboys, this is one company I would never recommend.
mal0z
Grafter

@69gillan - if you post details of your router , stats etc , and speeds, times etc here - ther will be many offers of help and suggestions. You only have to look back at past posts on these forums to see that.
As you say 302 meters from an exchange should give you a very good speed. There must be a technical fault somewhere.
stormrunner
Dabbler

hi 
caccy  i know its getting realy silly,  have u checked ur download speeds after midnite,  at the moment mine are what they used to be during the day,  have a look and see..
69gillan  have u checked ur line speed with the bt speed checker, it will let u know what ur line can handle, pierre_pierre  posted a link to it a couple of posts  ago.
well im still getting the C.R@.p speed and if plusnet dont get it sorted out within the next few days  im outa here...