cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor speed

patandlen

poor speed

My line went live today, I was very annoyed to find my speed,  1.29mbps down and 0.32 mbps upload!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was quoted 5 mbps, how soon can I cancel. Angry
13 REPLIES 13
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: poor speed

Hi patandlen,
All new ADSL Max lines go through a 10 day training period in order to let the line 'bed in', as it were, and find its stable speed of operation. You should find that the speed picks up over the next couple of days, to speed up this process we'd recommend rebooting the router once a day or so ideally in the late morning in order that the equipment in the exchange records the rates at which you connect.
It's also worth making sure that you've got the router plugged into the master socket via a microfilter and that absolutely everything else plugged into the line is likewise filtered - otherwise the interference generated will slow down the connection speed.
Hope that helps,
patandlen

yes it is plugged into main socket etc. but that is still a LOT slower and if it is still bad after 10 days how much time do I have to cancel.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can request to cancel as soon as you like, but we'd be very grateful if (assuming there is a fault on your line) we're given a chance to resolve it before you leave?
Apprentice
Grafter

@ patandlen
I know it's early days yet but what are the line stats like?
You can get the stats info from your router, use this link to the  "Kitz"  website to find out how.
patandlen

So what now? I am prepared to let you fix it but only if it is soon, otherwise i am off!
patandlen

Apprentice
Dont know whats going on but admin, administrator, blank or serial number nothing works?
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Give your line a chance to stabilise before you do anything else. There are a lot of contributory factors that affect the speed of ADSL, not limited to but including your own equipment.
It is a common misconception that absolutely everything is down to the service provider - please remember that BT Openreach are vacariously liable too in terms of the quality of your line and if there was a fault on the line between your house and the exchange then it is they who are liable to get this sorted.
I'd also bear in mind too, that sometimes there are things that happen at the exchange that can affect speeds, and if you are on a heavily congested exchange or there is a fault with a line card, this can also affect things too, again totally out of the control of Plusnet.
It's all too easy to blame the ISP these days.
patandlen

my laptop is new and works fine on other isp's, the router is new from Plusnet, and as far as stabalising I was quoted 5 mbps, 1.29  is no where near!
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

If you have a router from plusnet it will be http://192.168.1.254 and you should log in as "Administrator" there is no pre-set password for that as far as I know.
If you then click http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=1&l1=0 it should take you to your statistics page.

Edited to add links.
patandlen

WOW!
6.60  down and 0.33. up.
Please tell me this is NOT because it is after 6pm?
patandlen

Quote from: Chemical
If you have a router from plusnet it will be http://192.168.1.254 and you should log in as "Administrator" there is no pre-set password for that as far as I know.
If you then click http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=1&l1=0 it should take you to your statistics page.

Edited to add links.
[/quote
Sorry this does not work it still wants username and password?
Apprentice
Grafter

If you didn't change the username and password during the router set up then use:-
Username >  Administrator  (note the uppercase  A )
Password >  Serial number of your router  (again any letters are in uppercase )

If they don't work then it's a factory reset as per the router instuctions.

Setup  information  for router
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since you will have a recently supplied router I think the router username and password will be follows:
username admin (with a lower-case 'a') and
password the serial number from the bottom of the router
The serial number looks like CP0123ABC4D (capital letters and ignore the number appearing in parentheses).
David