Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inSSIDer - free version

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

inSSIDer - free version

This link here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml goes to the paid version
Can it be changed to the free version - this is one source http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
39 REPLIES 39
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: inSSIDer - free version

Perhaps it should be changed to something else entirely that is free, or just give instructions to do the netsh wlan show networks command.
Or better still just try the different channels and don't bother with the networks per channel counting.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Try this......
For inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 FREEWARE

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you checked the links as they don't work for me - says they are invalid
TORPC
Grafter

The links work for me, although it through up a Facebook like plugin, in my face Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend

must be because I have blocked cookies
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Obviously the Download@Authors Site link doesn't work anymore, but both the Download@MajorGeeks links work. Of course you'll have to avoid any adverts with bigger download buttons than those links. And I don't think the software is particularly useful anyway. Except to lead people towards the possibly faulty conclusion that all those other networks must be the cause of their problem.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Copied my link direct from the site... so it should work....
(p.s...... shouldn`t this be in "windows software"... not " your feedback "  ? ?    Huh Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No it should be here because it's a suggestion for a change to the Plusnet portal - not about the software itself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I recommend removing the link and any references to inSSIDer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've lost count of the number of people we've seen on here who've solved their issues by changing to a channel number less used!
I suppose you think just blasting out a better signal than the 582 gives to drown out the other nearby routers on the same channel is the solution?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

He'd rather try and blow up the 582 because it has a broadcom chip in it Sad
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: jelv
I've lost count of the number of people we've seen on here who've solved their issues by changing to a channel number less used!

inSSIDer doesn't really show which channel is less used, it only show the number of networks - saying it shows which channel is less used has to assume the traffic on each network is the same.
Quote from: jelv
I suppose you think just blasting out a better signal than the 582 gives to drown out the other nearby routers on the same channel is the solution?

No, I don't, because WiFi doesn't work like that. I don't know what gave you the impression I thought that. Sorry if I'm not massively biased and think everything that plusnet does is wonderful and any problem is anyone other than plusnet's fault. I don't usually just suggest that someone's wireless problem is because the 582n is a useless piece of junk - although a thread might end up with a ridiculous suggestion from plusnet staff about getting extra wifi access points, wifi repeaters / extenders, homeplug networking - anything and everything besides replacing the 582n. Do you think you can't use wireless if you can't find a channel free of other networks? Maybe things would work better if the other networks could detect signals from the 582n - then everything should be able to coexist reasonably well. But it must somehow be the fault of the other networks if they can't detect the pathetic signals from a 582n?
Is it so difficult to try different channels from a list of 1, 6 and 11 without drawing some pretty graphs which don't really give a complete picture of what's going on? Oh wait, I suppose the pretty graphs are necessary to "prove" that the problem is the fault of those nasty other networks which must be blasting out a too strong signal and drowning out the poor little 582n.
I also don't think Anotherone's comment claiming I'd like to blow up the 582n because it contains a broadcom chip has added anything of any use to this discussion. Anotherone usually likes to mark my posts, and deduct points if they decide I'm off topic or didn't fully address every single point of every previous post or if everything I've said isn't of benefit to 582n users, so I'll do the same and point out that it's just a needless dig at me.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There are occasions when you make very constructive posts ejs, but unfortunately there are too many where you are just sarcastic and negative, and you wonder why you get some of the responses you do! I have decided that it's often easier to either ignore you or be equally sarcastic.
sjptd
Grafter

Is it so difficult to try different channels from a list of 1, 6 and 11 without drawing some pretty graphs which don't really give a complete picture of what's going on?
Even though those are the most used channels, they are not always the best. (https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Infinity-on-Home-Hub-3-keeps-dropping-speeds-to-lt-5mbs/m-p/1356411#U1356411)
Of course inSSIDer doesn't give a complete picture; especially it does not show interference from things that aren't 'normal' wi-fi sources (microwaves, etc).  But it gives a very valuable picture that frequently helps people who would struggle with netsh wlan show networrk, or people who can fairly easily use netsh but would rather use the much clearer inSSIDer.
I'm moving from soon BT to Plusnet soon and have just got my 582N.  I will probably compare it's wireless performance with the HH3.  And I know one tool I'll be using in the comparison.... (and yes,,  I know they are both reputed to be pretty rubbish, but the HH3 has served me adequately for a couple of years.)