Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inSSIDer - free version

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: inSSIDer - free version

So the part of your post I quoted wasn't sarcasm eh, so that's clearly why you don't think many of your posts are sarcastic then.
Apart from the fact that we know that the wireless signal is not as strong as some other routers in certain situations because it has internal aerials and that this does present a problem in a minority of cases, it seems your solution is just to shout louder and on a different channel.
But has it never occurred to you that most of the problem is down to the fact that the others are shouting too loudly, louder than they need to in a lot of cases, and if it were possible to turn them down, there would be a great many situations were problems would go away.
Yes, these "very loud" networks are the real problem, it's no made up explanation.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Do you have any actual evidence that the problem is the other routers transmitting too strong signals? Are you suggesting that certain models of router exceed regulatory limits on transmission power output? Or is it that anything better than the 582n is going to be deemed as too powerful and a problem?
All I've seen is that Townman was pretty quick to accept very likely faulty data as evidence to support their own view that the problem must be those "rogue" routers. Whereas any data that doesn't support the prevailing opinion would most likely be quickly dismissed, disregarded or ignored. You seem to want to convince people that they've constantly got to dodge those other networks, although if they had a better router they wouldn't need to. The issue might well be that the other routers are transmitting stronger signals than the 582n, but the problem isn't that their signals are too strong, I think it's that the 582n's signal aren't strong enough.
Wireless of course isn't really about everything shouting at the same time and whatever shouts the loudest winning. Although that's probably a simpler and easier to understand explanation than how things actually work.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: ejs
Do you have any actual evidence that the problem is the other routers transmitting too strong signals? Are you suggesting that certain models of router exceed regulatory limits on transmission power output? Or is it that anything better than the 582n is going to be deemed as too powerful and a problem?

Did I say any of that in those terms? No I didn't, and no amount of attempting to twist my words will make any difference.
What I was saying as I'm sure you are quite well aware, is that in many circumstances, the signals pushed out by any number of routers are significantly stronger than they actually need be for those circumstances.
This thread is about a piece of software that can help users consider the position of their wireless routers and APs in their particular circumstances and choose which channel to use in those circumstances.
We know that the just "change channel" advice can lead to further frustration - Perhaps you could offer some clearer realistic advice, which isn't clouded in technical gobbledygook (should someone not wish to or be put off using that particular software) on how a user with no technical knowledge can get the best from or improve their wireless setup in their particular circumstances and which doesn't involve binning the 582n.
So far I haven't seen that.
Whilst it might be interesting, but not on topic for this thread, to hear your explanation of "how things actually work",  you seem to be contradicting yourself,  you are now implying the answer isn't  to shout louder., as in your last post you said
Wireless of course isn't really about everything shouting at the same time and whatever shouts the loudest winning. Although that's probably a simpler and easier to understand explanation than how things actually work.

yet you've already said the problem is because the 582m doesn't shout loud enough as you've previously posted
............someone's wireless problem is because the 582n is a useless piece of junk.............
Maybe things would work better if the other networks could detect signals from the 582n..............
............if they can't detect the pathetic signals from a 582n?

Not really helpful is it!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This thread was Feedback to Plusnet - Will you two take your arguments elsewhere otherwise I will just remove the posts
Anotherone
Champion

No Jim, you should just lock the thread, it has served the purpose you intended.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No I won't - in case there are other appropriate comments
TORPC
Grafter

<snip>
How about replacing the link to inSSIDer with something that's free and better then?
https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

Having a look @ both inSSIDer & acrylic WiFi
For the novice
inSSIDer comes out on top & should be their 1st choice
acrylic WiFi seems to be for the more advanced / experienced user
<snip>
I don't usually just suggest that someone's wireless problem is because the 582n is a useless piece of junk
<snip>

To clarify
Both inSSIDer & acrylic WiFi
Works with many other routers & is not designed just for the TG582n
<snip>
Except to lead people towards the possibly faulty conclusion that all those other networks must be the cause of their problem.

The exact opposite as it does help to rule in / out other networks interference / congestion with individual channels, which can then be eliminated as required, by changing channel to the reported quietest / non congested channel.
As all ISP's recommend channels 1,6, 9, 11 / there will always be a congestion issue somewhere or other, & nothing to do with the make / model of router in them cases,
That is where inSSIDer will come in use for the novice & acrylic WiFi for the advance users.
I would say that the link to inSSIDer is amended as per OJ's suggestion
&
acrylic WiFi added with a description that it is for the advanced user
That way then, the end user can choose which best suits them
I recommend removing the link and any references to inSSIDer.

Why take away a valuable tool that has helped & will continue to help so many end users ?Huh

Whilst non of the programs mentioned will tell you if you have REIN from any electrical equipment like
1. Fridge / Freezer
2. Central Heating Boiler (CHB)
3. Lights
4. Power-packs
5. Washing Machines / Tumble Dryers
& much more
It does help one to eliminate, interference /  congestion, from other Routers WiFi Channels
Anotherone
Champion

Microwave Ovens, Video Transponders are just two example of likely contenders that should be at the top of such a list Wink  and there are others mentioned here.
hadden
Grafter

Although I've used inSSIDer on my desktop and have used it on a laptop in the past, I find it handier to use an Android App on my phone.
I can wander about and get an idea of the physical location of other wireless sources and not just the channel occupancy in one place. It also allows me to find any limitations in coverage of my own wi-fi.
inSSIDer for Android is not free so I use Wifi Analyzer and would suggested that is listed as a non-Windows alternative.
TORPC
Grafter

How could we have missed the good old Wifi Analyzer for Android
Cheers JohnJ for suggesting it gets added to the list,
Especially when Android end users are growing fast