Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

estimated upload speed wrong

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

estimated upload speed wrong

Thought i would have a look at the new sign up journey, I am on a 20CN exchange (up to 8mb) ,  once i input my details, it gave an upload speed estimate of 1mb, surely this should be 448kbps.
See attachment
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

13 REPLIES 13
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: estimated upload speed wrong

Can you post the full response from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telephone?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=... please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It shouldn't show 1Mbps for 21CN customers either at the moment as the provisioning engine is still capping upload. I'll see if this has been raised as a bug. I did point it out last week whilst messing around on our staging platform ...
Edit: raised as an internal problem (ref: 79791)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

As requested
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Also provision of some services may not be allowed due to product withdrawal, please contact your service provider for further details.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Bob
It shouldn't show 1Mbps for 21CN customers either at the moment as the provisioning engine is still capping upload. I'll see if this has been raised as a bug. I did point it out last week whilst messing around on our staging platform ...

Unbelievable!
We were told ages ago that you were no longer provisioning capped. We also heard that a script was being run to bulk uncap users who download was above a certain level!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that jelv. There are certain journey's where upload is uncapped but the signup journey isn't one of them. We were hoping to incorporate that into a later phase of this morning's roll-out. We /have/ been bulk upgrading people.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

It's a month on and I'm wondering if anything has been done to ensure that where the speed prediction is reasonable (say above 4Mb download) both automated and manual orders are now uncapped. Could someone from Plusnet confirm please?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The situation remains unchanged Jelv. We're still rolling out batched bug fixes following the website overhaul. Incidentally we're doing the next one tomorrow morning.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Two years on from the start of this topic and we still see people having to ask for their upload to be uncapped!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To my knowledge, most ADSL orders /are/ provisioned with uncapped upload now. I could be wrong though, so let me ask around and establish what the latest is...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Bob, There's been a few instances recently where orders for something like interleaving on/off or SNR rest have put people back on capped upload. I'm not sure if picking the wrong option is a feature of a Plusnet interface or a BT one.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm struggling to see how an SNR reset could cap the download, but it's certainly possible when placing a modify order to apply/remove interleaving. I'll let you know once I've a definitive answer...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
I'll let you know once I've a definitive answer...

Assuming the criteria is met (download speed estimate > 4Mbps) and a customer is provisioned on ADSL2+, all automated XML orders are now submitted with uncapped upload. When submitting a modify order, either manually or using our CRM systems, upload speed is a configurable parameter.
Sounds like the examples you've come across may well have been the result of human error?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Generally they are, I've got a list that I'm collating and sending through as feedback.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.