cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curious Plusnet estimates

sjptd
Grafter

curious Plusnet estimates

Just finished a move to Plusnet from BT; phone moved today.  Very pleased so far.
Was on around 70Mbps with Infinity, now on very steady 40Mbps with Plusnet (40/20 package).  Exactly as expected; and not even a drop in modem sync at the changeover.
But ... just received an email from Plusnet About your broadband speed.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 2Mbps
Current line speed: 40Mbps

Not too worried, but I hope they don't use such figures in their statistics to 'prove' how excellent their speeds are against estimates.
~~~
A sort of related comment.  When I was on BE my ADSL speed as around 18 to 20Mbps, but only 1Mbps upload.  I upgraded to Infinity mainly to get the higher upload (Plusnet didn't off 20 upload at that time), and moved to Plusnet as 40/20 as Plusnet prices just fits my needs.  All fine.  However, my BT Wholesale estimates now says VDSL A range 56 to 72 (correct), but ADSL2+ estimate up to 2Mbps.    Again, not too worried as I plan to stay on VDSL, but what is the likely reason for a drop in ADSL estimate from 18 to 2?
3 REPLIES 3
Regulus
Community Veteran

Re: curious Plusnet estimates

I would half suspect that their estimate is based off of your ADSL speed rather than your fibre speed, for example my predicted adsl speed is 11mb (which is what my email quoted me when I received it) and my fibre estimate is about 22mb which I'm currently receiving.
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Quote from: sjptd
A sort of related comment.  When I was on BE my ADSL speed as around 18 to 20Mbps, but only 1Mbps upload.  I upgraded to Infinity mainly to get the higher upload (Plusnet didn't off 20 upload at that time), and moved to Plusnet as 40/20 as Plusnet prices just fits my needs.  All fine.  However, my BT Wholesale estimates now says VDSL A range 56 to 72 (correct), but ADSL2+ estimate up to 2Mbps.    Again, not too worried as I plan to stay on VDSL, but what is the likely reason for a drop in ADSL estimate from 18 to 2?

When you were on BE, you were on partial LLU - which delivered ADSL2+. However it maybe that your Exchange is still on ADSL for BT (hence ADSL for PN), which might explain the 2M estimate!
NB:- Some years ago, I transferred to O2 (same kit as BE) for the very reason that (at the time) BT/PN could not deliver ADSL2+, but O2 could! (Fortunately, my Exchange is now fully ADSL2+).
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sjptd,
Glad to hear that everything went smooth with the switch over!
With regards to the estimates you mention, we do indeed take these directly from BT's estimates which you saw here so this seems to line up with what they're showing on their side although I'm a little unsure as to why an ADSL2+ estimate has been provided on a Fibre account  Undecided This certainly should have reflected the correct estimate for the account type so please accept our apologies for the confusion here.
As for the change in estimates between what you saw with BE and the estimates on the DSL Checker, I'm at a loss as to why this is showing 2mbps if you had actual speed of 18mbps. There are differences in LLU and BT network speeds on occasion but nothing with a delta as wide as this so I would hazard a guess at this being more of an inaccuracy with the records held within the DSL Checker as opposed to anything else.