cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband fibre unlimited speeds

bootofbeer

broadband fibre unlimited speeds

I febuary of this year I moved house. I was on the Isle of Wight and used to get 13mb upload and about 60mb download. I move to Grantham and I get about 10 mb upload and around 30 mb download.This is all on unlimited fibre extra. Haven't noticed any extras yet. In April I was getting about 9mb upload and about 45mb download. Not great but usable.In early August I was getting 7.6mb upload and about  42mb download. So generally fairly poor for fibre unlimited extra. I changed to fibre unlimited and now I am on it I get 7.6mb upload and 42mb download. reasonable for fibre but why on earth have I put up with paying extra for no extra over the last six months. Please note Plusnet this is your first warning. I no longer get a discount for my fibre for the poor service I had previously in the Isle of Wight and now similar is happening here.I have complained to you since february and was told I was getting the max the line could supply. If that was the case why did you not suggest I go to fibre unlimited and not pay for the extra which it would appear was not available.
17 REPLIES 17
AndyH
Grafter

Re: broadband fibre unlimited speeds

The unlimited package gives you unlimited usage, the speed is up to 78Mbps.
Plusnet have no control over the physical capabilities of your telephone line. They provision your fibre based on estimates, which are entirely that.
If you go here, http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/, can you post the speed estimates for your line?
bootofbeer

So this is all I get?
47.8 34.8 10.6 7 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 40 22.4 10.6 5.7 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 4 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Cry
AndyH
Grafter

Unfortunately.
It is a possibility that you're being affected by cross talk that can cause 20-30% reductions in sync speed. There are trials going on at the moment which will eliminate cross talk.
bootofbeer

Thanks for your interest and reply. Please note that I am not impressed with the service I have recd. and the first warning still stands.I see many topics on the forums but the underlying theme is why do new customers get better deals than existing customers who put up with your shortcomings?Do we as customers have to do what the insurance industry have forced us to do. I.E. change your insurance every year for another company so you get the best discount. Now if we fly that kite you guys could very rapidly catch a cold.Think on and pay some attention to what your customers say.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

as a minor point the 40/20 unlimited and 80/20 unlimited extra have only been sold since the 10th June so unlimited fibre extra wasn't available when you moved so you would have been on the old unlimited
BRABUS
Grafter

Really?  So besides the speed what does the extra give you that 80/20 unlimited didn't give before?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As Oldjim has pointed out the package you were on for Fibre when you moved home was the Unlimited Fibre package which allowed up to 78/19.5 speeds.
The "extra" that you mentioned that you paid for was the Unlimited usage bit. Back in February when you moved house the 2 packages that were available were Unlimited Fibre or Essentials Fibre. If you had wanted to pay less then the Essentials Fibre package would've allowed speeds up to 38/10 but it also had a 40GB usage allowance.
The 2 Fibre packages that we've offered since the 10th June, 2014 are both Unlimited and the packages available to you depend on your line estimates. As AndyH pointed out - they are estimates and best effort.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: AndyH
........... There are trials going on at the moment which will eliminate cross talk.

Well at least reduce it significantly, but I'd be surprised whether it's anything that consumers are likely to see implemented on a widespread basis within the next 12-24months Shocked
GeordieMark
Grafter

I wonder how well vectoring will affect aluminium lines?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

With a bit of luck the worst ones will blow up and have to be replaced Sad  (I jest, slightly)
GeordieMark
Grafter

Haha hopefully then I should be able to get a better connection in my street :
AndyH
Grafter

I had a faulty line a couple of weeks back and the engineer said it was a joint that had come loose. He explained they had been replacing a large amount of cable (the engineer had been heavy handed and loosened some joints) and that it was all aluminium  Embarrassed
GeordieMark
Grafter

Yeah the guy I had out said he had put in a "1024" for my jointbox to be replaced but this about a month ago and no one has been since so chances are it's been forgotten about.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Good engineers on the ground will frequently raise a 1024 only to have back room managers cancel 1024s just as frequently.  Had the same happen to me at the old business premises.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.