cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful migration from Madasafish/BT

kbturner
Grafter

Successful migration from Madasafish/BT

I have had broadband from Madasafish (and previously freenetname) and telephone from BT since forever, but was getting increasingly disillusioned by paying as much as £14.99 per month for a meagre 5GB of broadband.  I was a bit apprehensive about moving, not least because I wanted to retain my domain name and webspace inherited from freenetname days.
I eventually decided PlusNet was the best bet because (a) as a sister company to Madasafish, they were able to reassure me about the retention of my domain/webspace, (b) the deal was OK, but only if I moved my landline as well (I'm on a Market 1 exchange so the numbers aren't nearly as attractive as the promotional material would have you believe), and (c) I found that by signing up via a link from moneysavingexpert.com I was promised a £50.00 cashback from PlusNet.
Well, the migration is now complete, and I have to say it went remarkably smoothly, and all according to the timetable promised by PlusNet.  I've seen quite a lot of negative press about the Technicolor router, but so far I've been impressed.  I've moved from a Netgear DG834 non-wireless, and have seen a slight increase in download speed (from approximately 5.1 Mbps to perhaps 5.4 Mbps).  I had a wireless card on my desktop, configured as peer-to-peer, so although I could talk from my laptop to my desktop and vice versa, I couldn't add in anything else.  Now with the Technicolor's access point, I have added in my HTC Hero smartphone, my Canon MP620 printer (previously wired to the desktop) and my A C Ryan PlayOn!DVRHD TV recorder.
The only downside so far is that the retention of my domain and webspace is only achieved via a kludge:  keep the Madasafish account open, but downgraded to "Justmail", at an unbudgeted cost to me of £1.69 per month.  Granted it seems to work OK, but the method of achieving it seems to me inelegant.
I have yet to see (a) my £50.00 cashback (I'm led to believe it'll take about six weeks), (b) my final bill from BT and (c) my next bill from Madasafish.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Successful migration from Madasafish/BT

kbturner,
Welcome to the forums and PlusNet.  Really nice to hear of a success story and also of the ease / benefits you've had in connecting up all of your kit.  I doubt that you'll have much trouble with the wifi in your neck of the woods.
Talking of your neck of the woods, have you been there long?  Do you have memories of Fr. DPM at St. Botolphs before he moved to Leeds?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kbturner
Grafter

Talking of your neck of the woods, have you been there long?  Do you have memories of Fr. DPM at St. Botolphs before he moved to Leeds?

Not sure which neck of the woods you're referring to - I'm in Nettlebed, just outside Henley-on-Thames, and I'm not familiar with any St. Botolphs in this area ..
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It's at Syncombe.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kbturner
Grafter

Aah, I think you mean St Botolphs at Swyncombe.  I know of it, but don't know any Fr. DPM.