cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's contacting who?

Elmpark71

Who's contacting who?

I receive a phone call from someone who says that they are from Plusnet.

They ask me a security question. Everyone in the world tells me not to give security information to an unsolicited caller.

I feel that Plusnet need to revue their methods of contacting customers.

12 REPLIES 12
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Who's contacting who?

Welcome to the forums @Elmpark71.

Although I do appreciate your concern with this, we unfortunately do have to pass data protection checks on every call where we're discussing account specific information.

If you'd prefer to not go through security checks during calls that we've made to yourself, the best advice I can give would be to request the advisor adds notes to your account explaining the reason for their call, and then giving us a call back should you wish to discuss the matter further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

does the opposite remain true also that the person calling should also have to pass data protection checks?
data protection checks always seem to very one way IMO.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

VERY true - I had a phone call from "my bank" last week - I asked THEM for some security info.- the CS girl was bewilderedFunny

Elmpark71

I'm not sure that you do really appreciate my concerns with this matter. You cold call me and ask me for verification as to who I am. If I am not who you are expecting to speak to, why call me?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We need to pass data protection checks on outbound calls, because we can't guarantee that the recipient on the other end of the call is who we think it is.

For example, if we call a mobile number, the number could be incorrect on the account or misdialled. As for calling a landline number, one instance could be that the call connects to someone else if the line is crossed.

I hope this helps clarify things

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You really don't get it do you!

How the hell is the person receiving the call supposed to be sure that the caller really is from Plusnet?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I don't see a way of us confirming ourselves without revealing account information I'm afraid. As Harry has advised the best course of action if you suspect the caller is to request the adviser to leave notes on the account, then to call us back.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

well a simple solution would be to use a passphrase system.
the caller would need to say a passphrase that the customer has supplied on their account.
if the caller can't say that passphrase then they fail the check.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I don't see a way of us confirming ourselves without revealing account information I'm afraid.

How about confirming the billing date ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Or two random characters from username?Huh

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anoush wrote:

I don't see a way of us confirming ourselves without revealing account information I'm afraid. As Harry has advised the best course of action if you suspect the caller is to request the adviser to leave notes on the account, then to call us back.

This really has to be complete nonsense!   Authentication if it is to be of any value is a two way process.  There needs to be a protocol whereby the callee is presented with some unique verifiable data from the caller to establish their credible identity.  If a client calls Plusnet this action is completed by using details from the account, but in the reverse direction - a call FROM Plusnet there is no mechanism for the client to verify that the caller is genuinely calling from Plusnet?  In a later post (9)  @chenks76 has put forward a workable solution.

Why as a customer should I be required to call my supplier at MY expense to discover what it is that I may / may not want to hear about?

NOTE:  This problem is not unique to Plusnet, I have the same issue with many other organisations including my bank!

Take a lead and start making positive moves to TWO WAY Data Protection - you know it makes sense. Thumbs_Up

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although I unfortunately cannot guarantee a change of process. I am more than happy to pass the feedback on and make sure it gets to the relevant people to review.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet