cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I start?

KateR
Dabbler

Where do I start?

I switched from TalkTalk PlusNet as things were pretty dire and PlusNet were recommended. Now I'm thinking most ISPs are all much of a muchness.

I can't even get into my online PlusNet account. It says my user name and password is wrong and they aren't.

The speed is also slower than with TalkTalk.  I am well passed the recommended 10 days.  But my emails take an age to send from Apple Mail client. You don't seem to support Apple Mail though I was assured you did (one of the reasons I switched from TalkTalk). But I can't change the settings on my email client. I have stuck with my TalkTalk email addresses because I am registered with so many sites under my two main email addresses. TT assured me I could keep my emails and so obviously I use their servers for incoming mail but I should be able to change the outgoing servers to yours.  Also, some of my emails still going into people's spam.  This was a problem I had with TT and one of the reasons I switched.  You should be now dealing with this and letting me have control over spam emails. As is stands I have no idea how many emails have gone missing or into another's spam. Much of the time I end up using Gmail or iCloud accounts but shouldn't have to.

When I signed up to you, you also sent a protection package against malware etc but it could only be used by PCs. So how is that supporting Mac users?  I tried to reinstall Rapport, which my bank recommends. But it's not showing in my apps or the menu bar.  All in all, the switch has created even more problems than it's solved Angry

17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Where do I start?

Moderators Note.
Moved to Feedback board
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to read about your experience.

I can't even get into my online PlusNet account. It says my user name and password is wrong and they aren't.

Do you have this issue using a different device or web browser?

The speed is also slower than with TalkTalk.  I am well passed the recommended 10 days.

Testing your line is showing your router in sync at 17mbps which is above your speed estimate of 13.5mbps.

Can you run a speed test here using a wired connection and let us know the results?

But my emails take an age to send from Apple Mail client.

I suspect this may be related to the slow speeds you're experiencing.

but I should be able to change the outgoing servers to yours.

That should certainly be possible. You'll need to setup a Plusnet e-mail address at www.plus.net/e-mail

Once created you should be able to use relay.plus.net as the outgoing mail server for your TalkTalk address.

Also, some of my emails still going into people's spam.  This was a problem I had with TT and one of the reasons I switched.  You should be now dealing with this and letting me have control over spam emails. As is stands I have no idea how many emails have gone missing or into another's spam. Much of the time I end up using Gmail or iCloud accounts but shouldn't have to.

As your e-mail address doesn't belong to us, due to the way this works, it's not something we can look into I'm afraid.

When I signed up to you, you also sent a protection package against malware etc but it could only be used by PCs. So how is that supporting Mac users?

I do apologise that Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee doesn't work for Mac users. There should be various free and paid for firewalls/anti-virus applications out there on the internet you could use instead.

Whilst we can't recommend one, I'm sure other users of this community might be able to.

I tried to reinstall Rapport, which my bank recommends. But it's not showing in my apps or the menu bar.

I'm afraid this isn't something we can support you with as it doesn't relate to the service we're providing you. Again, I'm sure other users of this community might be able to help.

Let us know how your speeds look on that test I linked above.

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KateR
Dabbler

No, I can't login on my phone either

Why do I need to set up a PlusNet emails account?  I have been able to use any email address as long as the outgoing server settings are correct.  I was advised in fact before switching to yourselves that a HotMail or Gmail account would be better because they're not tied to a specific provider.  But TalkTalk stated I could take my email addresses with me as I have registered to numerous sites with these email addresses. 

I don't use ethernet. We've always used Wifi and I switched to you with this in mind. I will check the speeds after I've posted this because it's so slow I have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for pages to load. In fact I just had to restart my whole computer because of browsers not responding etc

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you reset your password here and try again please?

Why do I need to set up a PlusNet emails account?

Because our outgoing mail server won't work without an e-mail component on your account.

You shouldn't need to use your Plusnet e-mail address, you'll just need to set one up.

Once you've done that, you should be able to use our outgoing mail server.

I don't use ethernet. We've always used Wifi and I switched to you with this in mind. I will check the speeds after I've posted this because it's so slow I have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for pages to load.

Using an ethernet connection will help us narrow down where the problem lies.

If this is not possible, I'd recommend tackling this from a wireless perspective by trying the steps here.

In fact I just had to restart my whole computer because of browsers not responding etc

This sounds like a problem with the computer I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KateR
Dabbler

Ran two speed tests on Wifi

Download = 14.2 - 14.8

Upload = 0.6 - 0.7

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for that @KateR

Those speeds look about right for the speed your router is in sync at.

Do you experience speed problems using a different device?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KateR
Dabbler

No, my phone and tablet seem OK for speeds but my main device is my desktop and as I say I didn't have the speed issues so much with TalkTalk.  My sister also uses a laptop in the same property and has noticed hers is a bit slower than it was too

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm afraid that if your speeds are OK on one device but not another may indicate the problem lies with the affected devices.

Would you be able to connect your Mac into the router using an ethernet cable to see if the problem still occurs?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KateR
Dabbler

Hmmm.  It was never this slow with TalkTalk and believe me there was a lot wrong before.  While I accept that things are likely to be somewhat slower on a Desktop because I need to have many apps open, this doesn't account for all the problems.  The one thing that's changed is my ISP and all other variables constant.  So while I expect it to be a bit slower than the other devices named, it is noticeably slower so that I have to keep force quitting apps.  

I've already said that the ethernet cable is too far from the router so no.  And besides I have always used Wifi so I am comparing  exactly the same situation with before PlusNet and after.

Also, nobody has dealt with my login issues. Tried contacting on FB page. They asked me to PM them. I did. But very slow response there too Angry

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@KateR wrote:

Also, nobody has dealt with my login issues. Tried contacting on FB page. They asked me to PM them. I did. But very slow response there too

Did you try resetting your password as requested by @Gandalf in an earlier post?

@Gandalf wrote:

Can you reset your password here and try again please?

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

It was never this slow with TalkTalk

You've not stated what "this" is not what it was with Talk Talk.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KateR
Dabbler

I've already posted my speeds. I shouldn't be having to do anything too technical. That's the duty of my ISP who I'm paying for.  

With TalkTalk my browsers were faster on my Desktop and same with my email client.  

And for your information the PlusNet on Facebook page said this:

"I've checked the connection this side and it looks like the signal strength for your line is set too low which explains when your devices seem connected but nothing loads up or you just get buffing.

The good news is it's a fairly easy fix and I have placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour. If you then turn the router off and then on again in a hour or later the connection should be back to normal for you."

It doesn't seen to have made a noticeable difference, maybe marginally.  So PN are admitting a problem.  I'm completely fed up. I gave them the benefit of the doubt re the first 10 days of performance when the speed needed time to settle.  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

You don't need to do anything you do not want to, but if you what help from the COMMUNITY, then you need to do something to help the community help you.

The speeds you have reported - in the absence of a context - are completely meaningless.

The requested data provides a context...

1. What are the expected speeds for YOUR line
  2. What are the actual speeds reported BY THE ROUTER
  3. What are the line characteristics reported by the router

Only when those are known does the speed you've furnished have any meaning / relevance.

The advice offered on Facebook is reported here without context.  If the "signal strength" is to be "raised" that WILL REDUCE the line synch rate.  There is some possibility that might improve the DATA throughput rate.  You will have to wait and see.

There is a fair chance that your problem is NOT the internet service, but may in fact be related solely to the performance of WiFi ... you have yet to provide enough information to enable the COMMINITY to discern what is going on here and therefore what advice might help you.

...but as you suggest, if you do not want to, you don't have to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KateR
Dabbler

First link had lots of figs - Fixed ADSL (7.5 Mb)

DSL Max (7.5 Mb)

ADSL 2 + (15 Mb)

2nd link - figs too small to read

Third link 'bad request - something went wrong'

I've not had these problems with any ISP before - oh apart from when I was on dial up many years ago but that was pre-broadband.