Did you mean: 

Where do I start?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Where do I start?

@Gandalf wrote:

The speed is also slower than with TalkTalk.  I am well passed the recommended 10 days.

Testing your line is showing your router in sync at 17mbps which is above your speed estimate of 13.5mbps.

That synch speed is also higher than the BTw speed estimate you've just posted...

ADSL 2 + (15 Mb)

17mbps gives a profile speed of  14.99mbps

Ran two speed tests on Wifi 

Download = 14.2 - 14.8 

Upload = 0.6 - 0.7

Given that some allowance needs to be made for packet over heads, error correction these DATA transfer rates are exceptionally good for the estimated profile speed.

I've not had these problems with any ISP before

So again, I ask, what is the "issue" here?  Exactly what is the impeded performance you experience in USING the internet (as opposed to running arbitrary speed tests)?

This line appears** to be performing ABOVE expectations.  You've still not specified your claimed to be better performance experienced with Talk Talk.  So how fast was Talk Talk?

**Without the detailed router stats requested (including the line attenuation figures and SNRM) it is not possible to advise on if the estimate is reasonable or overly conservative.

2nd link - figs too small to read 

Does your browser have a zoom option?

Third link 'bad request - something went wrong'

What router are you using?  Did you chose a link suitable for YOUR router?  If there is not a link there for YOUR router, then use the link to Kitz to find the stats page for YOUR router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KateR
Dabbler

I'm sorry, you may be trying to help, but posting loads of tech information isn't helpful, it's just exhausting. It's not what I expect to do. I am just a regular user who has noticed a noticeable drop in functionality since switching ISP. That is the only variable that has changed, OK?

I obviously didn't ever check the speeds with TalkTalk because I didn't need to. It wasn't the speed issue I had with them.

I would have though my issue was obvious.  Browser taking much longer to load.  Email client much longer to load and other apps.

If the speed wasn't a problem then why did the PN rep on Facebook said signal strength too low. Are you saying they don't know but you do?  Maybe that's true and you're very technical but if PN don't know then how do you expect me to?

Oh and it's the PlusNet router I'm using. 

Apologies, but I'm finding this too tiring.  It's not actually helping.  I thought I was joining a community with PlusNet staff.  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This is the first post in which you've actually said what you SEE as being wrong.

I would have though my issue was obvious.  Browser taking much longer to load.  Email client much longer to load and other apps.

No, the issue is not obvious at all - you referenced line speeds with zero context.

@Gandalf advised of the line speed and told you it was better than estimates.

After prodding you produced speed estimate information which only you can access, which again indicated that the line is performing faster than expected.

Looking at the data transfer speed tests they are right on the nail for data transfer on a line with a 17mbps SYNCH speed.

Without the information from the router, it is not possible for community members to assist you.  They key piece of information required is SNRM (signal strength) and attenuation.  As for the change PN suggested, in some cases on very good lines, the line management systems will push a line to go faster, though that might introduce stability issues or elevated error rates ... however, the speed tests somewhat imply that might not be an issue here.

Increasing the signal strength might reduce the error rate thereby reducing the retransmission over heads, however the line speed WIIL be lower.  Until this post YOU have focussed on the line speed.

The problem your describe could simply be that the wifi network is now different.  It could be that the BT Wholesale connection to the internet is carrying more traffic.  Neither of these are down to the ISP.

Oh and it's the PlusNet router I'm using

There are several Plusnet routers ...

...if you need help with self help, try reading the speed issue topic - see the link below.

@Gandalf has anyone looked at the S-VLAN here please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.