cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What package should I be on?

flodden
Grafter

What package should I be on?

I am currently on Plusnet Extra which includes 60GB, this went up from 11.49 to 12.99 a month so is not good value in the current market especially with bundled deals on offer. I dont think i ever go over 60GB usage in a month, certainly not last 3 months. Would be interested in TV but you dont seem to do that at moment and possibly phone, although maybe tied into BT Unlimited Weekend and Evening Plan at moment and dont want to incur cancellation fee. What package should i be on for best value? Thanks
37 REPLIES 37
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: What package should I be on?

Hi flodden,
It really depends on how much usage you use each month. Given the fact you're currently on our legacy Extra Package (60GB), you'd probably better suited to our Unlimited Broadband package.
If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail, you'd be best speaking to our Customer Options Team, they can be contacted on 0800 432 0200.
I hope this helps Smiley
gnicholson8
Grafter

Without prying too much, How long till your phone contract ends?
If you fancy waiting, you could wait until your phone contract ends and then sign up for both phone/broadband together if not, take out one of the new packages, Plusnet Extra discontinued at the end of last year and the best current package would be Unlimited Broadband at £12.49 a month
Link here:
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/unlimited/broadband-only/
There are fantastic offers if you take out a phone line with them, ie Broadband from £2.75 a month for 12 months, but obviously this depends on how long is left on your phone contract.
flodden
Grafter

As BT have just announced a change in their prices I can cancel without charge. However they are offering unlimited broadband free for 6 months then reverts to £16 per month for remaining 12 months (£192 for 18 months). This works out cheaper than equivalent from Plusnet of 12.49 a month (£224.82 for 18 months). BT also can get unlimited anytime calls for £7 a month and pay line rental up front for a year costs £141 (11.75 per month). Can Plusnet beat that?
James
Grafter

Give our customer options team a ring.
I suspect we can come up with something to encourage you to stick around for a little bit longer.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"Can Plusnet beat that? " I'm sure they can.
Even if you are on a Market 1 exchange you will do better than BT with PN's unlimited and 'phone package.
Give Cust. Options a call as advised. Smiley
PN anytime calls is £5/month and LRS around £138/annum.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: flodden
As BT have just announced a change in their prices I can cancel without charge. However they are offering unlimited broadband free for 6 months then reverts to £16 per month for remaining 12 months (£192 for 18 months). This works out cheaper than equivalent from Plusnet of 12.49 a month (£224.82 for 18 months). BT also can get unlimited anytime calls for £7 a month and pay line rental up front for a year costs £141 (11.75 per month). Can Plusnet beat that?

As the staff have said, call the customer options team HOWEVER, a simple look on the website they can certainly beat it.

Option 1
£14.50 a month line rental (with weekend calls)
£2.75 a month for unlimited broadband (for 12 months)
Total cost: £207.00 per year (Add £5.00 a month for anytime calls to UK landlines = £267.00)
Option 2
£131.88 up front line rental (no calls included)
£2.75 a month for unlimited broadband (for 12 months)
Total cost: £164.88 (Add £5.00 a month for anytime calls to UK landlines = £224.88)

flodden
Grafter

Thanks i was just reading up on it under phone packages. Only question would be what does the monthly broadband, line rental and call plan charges revert to after the 12 month period is up?
gnicholson8
Grafter

Subject to PN not rasing the prices,
Line rental and the Plusnet Anytime are their standard prices (not special offer) and the Unlimited broadband goes from £2.75 a month to £9.99 a month (still cheaper than BT)
Also, I may be wrong (I'd need to check) it's either only a 12month contract, or 18months so after that period, find another cheap package Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

… or alternatively, towards the end of your current contract call the Customer Options Team again to see what they can offer if you re-contract.
David
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
… or alternatively, towards the end of your current contract call the Customer Options Team again to see what they can offer if you re-contract.

Well yeah, saves creating a new account/new order. They're, from my previous experience with them, are very good at matching the offers to new customers.
flodden
Grafter

OK I will phone customer support but my concerns would be losing 1471 service from BT which gives last number called (they are starting to charge for 1571 voicemail so will cancel that anyway) and also any problems with the line i take it a BT engineer or BT test will still need to be done and will be charged extra for that? I dont really want to switch phone providers too often as they can muck up the billing at switch over. Also will my phone and broadband bills be available in one place and one bill via Plusnet or in two separate places and payments via Plusnet and Talk Talk? ie can i sort things out via one phone number or separate numbers for both phone and broadband?
James
Grafter

You should still be able to use 1471.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: flodden
OK I will phone customer support but my concerns would be losing 1471 service from BT which gives last number called (they are starting to charge for 1571 voicemail so will cancel that anyway) and also any problems with the line i take it a BT engineer or BT test will still need to be done and will be charged extra for that? I dont really want to switch phone providers too often as they can muck up the billing at switch over. Also will my phone and broadband bills be available in one place and one bill via Plusnet or in two separate places and payments via Plusnet and Talk Talk? ie can i sort things out via one phone number or separate numbers for both phone and broadband?

The suggestion has been to contact the Customer Options Team to discuss offers rather than Support. The Customer Options Team (also known as the Cancellations Team) are on 0845 140 6002 or 0330 123 9197 (or 0800 432 0200 and select the appropriate option). They are available Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (except Bank Holidays) and Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm.
Once Plusnet have taken over the phone service, your line rental and call charges will appear on the same invoice as your broadband. Should a phone fault develop you report it to Plusnet on 0800 432 0200 as with broadband and they will test your line and deal with it at no cost to you (subject to doing the internal checks). Should an engineer be needed to fix the problem it will be the same BT Openreach engineers who attend, but there will be no need for you to contact BT at all. (in case you get the impression a middleman is being introduced if you move phone to Plusnet, not so; line rental with BT is actually with BT Retail, and they contact BT Openreach. So a middleman is still involved.)
David
flodden
Grafter

Thanks for clarification. One thing that would make me go with BT is the added TV option of a YouView Box and BT Sport, as I have a Top Up TV Box which no longer works in terms of recording from the channel guide as they ceased trading on 1 Nov. I dont have Sky (and dont want a dish) so cant get BT Sport via Plusnet, but in the email on 20 Nov it said Plusnet is about to anounce something for non-Sky users. I would have to cancel my BT phone this week in order to avoid a fee, so not sure I can wait for the Plusnet announcement, will phone Customer Options tomorrow to see if they can shed any light.