cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has happened to PlusNet support?

hiwj
Dabbler

When I joined PlusNet several years ago, their customer support was excellent. When you phoned support, you would get an answer within about 2 minutes. Now, their chat service is offline, and their phone support is non-existent (no answer after 30-45 minutes of waiting).

I've logged a support issue over 10 days ago, and was promised it would be escalated to higher-level support, but I've got no response or resolution at all. I've even pointed them in the right direction after reading these forums.

I used to recommend PlusNet to family and friends, but at the moment am finding it difficult not to move to another ISP myself !!

10 REPLIES 10
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: What has happened to PlusNet support?

@hiwj Welcome to the forum.  🙂

As you're probably aware, Plusnet, like EE, are part of the BT Group.

Some say that the dismal support is a deliberate ploy to destroy the Plusnet brand and get customers to move to BT Retail.

I prefer to believe that it's rooster-up rather than conspiracy - ie good old fashioned incompetence.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

What’s the issue you’re having?

Maybe somebody can help out over here 

hiwj
Dabbler

I recently switched to the Unlimited Fibre Extra service with a guaranteed download speed of 60mbs. However, I have noticed that my account is being restricted to 21mbs by PlusNet. This is a well known issue, and I've seen it several times on these forums (https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Current-Line-Speed-Download-21Mbps-after-upgrade/m-p/1...).

I've pointed the support team in the right direction and informed them that others have had the same problem as me, but for some reason, I'm still waiting for it to be fixed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @hiwj,

I'm sorry that you're not receiving the correct speed following your upgrade and for the poor experience that you've had in attempting to get this resolved - I'll pass on feedback about this.

Having checked your account I can see that you are still on the ADSL connection profile. As you have a static IP address, this is limiting your throughput speed to 21mbps. I've adjusted this now and you should receive the correct speed after you reboot your router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hiwj
Dabbler

Unfortunately, the problem is still not fixed. My IP profile is now fixed at about 57mbps, and I am still not getting the minimum guaranteed speeds.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @hiwj,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still not receiving the correct speed and that your IP profile has settled at 57mbps. I've adjusted the IP profile again but something definitely looks to be out of place here as testing your line shows that it's currently syncing at 63.7mbps. This is slightly above your minimum guaranteed download speed of 60.9mbps but is below your line's estimated speed of 66-72mbps.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 63.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 287.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-12-10T15:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 62.6 Mbps 64.0 Mbps 63.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 744.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-12-23T14:16:17.293+00:00 2020-12-23T14:31:17.293+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 1 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

If you've not done so already, I'd recommend that you run through our basic troubleshooting checks here. If that doesn't resolve the problem the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection improves. This rules out internal wiring, faceplates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

Please let us know if your throughput speed is still below the estimates for your line once you have done the troubleshooting.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hiwj
Dabbler

I've tested with a different router at the main BT socket, which doesn't make a difference.

I notice that the speed profile on Plusnet's site now shows 78Mbps, but on the BTWholesale site, it still shows 58.7Mbps as the IP profile. As I am only getting downloads of about 55Mbps, I think the BT profile is more accurate.

You mention that the downstream speed is 63.7Mbps, but I am getting nowhere near this download speed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank you for confirming that you have tried with a different router directly from the test socket but this hasn't made a difference to your speed and for letting me know that your IP profile is still showing as 58.7mbps on BT Wholesale. As this is the case and with our tests not picking up the cause of the problem from here, we'll need to arrange an engineer visit so that this may be investigated further.

Please can you add your availability for an engineer to the ticket here? If you drop another comment on this thread once you've done that, we'll pick this back up and get your engineer appointment booked.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hiwj
Dabbler

Availability slots supplied. Thanks.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Many thanks for providing your availability. I've booked your engineer appointment now and have confirmed the details on the ticket.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team