cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage meter broken?

grahamt
Rising Star

Usage meter broken?

(Apols if this isn't the right forum for this topic. Mods - feel free to move it.)

According to 'View My Usage' I haven't had any usage for the past three days (0KB since Weds 29th June). That's not right. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I'm on an unlimited package, so accuracy doesn't matter, but still - it's nice to know what your usage is.

15 REPLIES 15
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Usage meter broken?

I can't see any reason for it not tracking.

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks. I guess I could try that, although there was no disconnect at the time when it stopped tracking. I moved to a new billing month yesterday and so far it's not showing any usage for this month.

grahamt
Rising Star

Disconnect seems to make no difference. There was a disconnect (initiated by BT, I think) last Wednesday evening, and there was still no usage showing today (Monday). I've just done a manual disconnect/reconnect and I'll check whether there's any usage showing tomorrow morning.

As I said, I'm on an unlimited tariff, so I'm not that worried about it, except that I like to monitor my usage from time to time just in case there's any sign of malware activity.

grahamt
Rising Star

No. There's still nothing showing for this billing month (which started on the 4th) on the usage meter.

Would there be any point in ringing the support line about it, given that Matthew said he couldn't see any reason why it's not tracking?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

No, first line support won't have a clue!

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

I agree with grahamt that the usage monitor isn't (now) working. I am showing zero usage today and rather low for yesterday and earlier in the week.

It doesn't in any real sense matter to me either as I too am on an unlimited package.

grahamt
Rising Star

That might be normal, BrightonRock. The meter is (in my experience) slower to record usage with unlimited packages than with limited ones (I have my father-in-law's limited package for comparison). My meter's been showing nothing for over a fortnight, which is definitely not normal.

By the way, I'm not pleased that a mod blocked a more specific question I asked in the Accounts forum, on the grounds of cross-posting. I'd thought carrefully before posting there and gave a reason why I believed the question was not the same. Never mind. I guess I'll have to try phoning up about it.

BrightonRock
Pro

@grahamt wrote:

<snip> The meter is (in my experience) slower to record usage with unlimited packages than with limited ones (I have my father-in-law's limited package for comparison). My meter's been showing nothing for over a fortnight, which is definitely not normal. <snip>

A fair point about a possible slow response but the usage meter is definitely broken - as you suggested quite a bit earlier. For what it is worth, I'm on a fibre product that has not yet transferred to the new network.

Your post also answered a question that I had been mulling as to whether anyone now had a contract with a limit on usage: clearly yes.

Mav
Fixes: 514

@grahamt wrote:

By the way, I'm not pleased that a mod blocked a more specific question I asked in the Accounts forum, on the grounds of cross-posting.

As I mentioned in a PM spreading the same question(s) over two or more threads can make it difficult for others to help.

Your other post is still available to see with a redirection to here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

BrightonRock
Pro

The usage monitor now seems to be working and has caught up to (more or less) the present

grahamt
Rising Star

Glad to hear that. Mine's still not working after nearly three weeks.

BobPlumbe
Grafter

usage seems about as accurate as exit polling

my times of highest usage have happened on weekends where I had no connection at all

no real world applications, just a bit of fun as far as I can tell

grahamt
Rising Star

It's now been almost a month since I registered any usage on 'View My Usage' - and this despite a phone call to Support four days ago that was passed from first line support to technical support. The tech support rep was sympathetic, and seemed confident that things would quickly return to normal, but there's no sign of that so far.

I'm one of those who's due to be switched from 40/20 to 55/10 at the end of the month. This shouldn't have anything to do with my usage meter as far as I know but I'll wait until after the switch and, if things aren't back to normal by then, will try phoning again.

I actually got through to Support on the phone very quickly. I think the trick is to phone during office hours on a very hot day when all sensible users are either at work or out sunning themselves!

nursemorph273
Grafter

I've just noticed that none of my usage has tracked for a week now..just suddenly stopped on the 21st. No idea why as nothing happened that day to cause it, though my router got turned off several times in the days prior to that due to the issues with the network. I'm on broadband, not fibre...am on an unlimited package but have never had issues with zero usage. Not really bothered about it as I don't generally track my usage but don't want to get accused of doing something to cause it either. Oh well..will just keep an eye on it