cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The infinite loop

cjkenworthy

The infinite loop

Plusnet,
Since April 2013 my broadband connection has been broken and you haven't managed to fix it. Your technical support staff are friendly people but they keep trapping me in a perpetual scripted loop of engineer visits and connection monitoring. If I hadn't put an end to it at loop four we'd still be playing this strange game of unproductive guesswork. Even the three BT engineers who visited, after reading your notes, reckon you have no idea what the problem even is with our broadband connection.
I rang your accounts team on 17-June-2013 and spoke to Kelly. I told her I wanted to make a complaint and cancel our account. She said I can't do that unless we pay a cancellation penalty. She also said that I need to give you a chance to fix the problem. So just how many chances do you need? Three doesn't seem to be enough. Even a fourth round of monitoring did nothing. I asked Kelly too but she didn't know. It sounds like you want an infinite number of chances to fix a problem you can't even identify.
I can't wait around any longer for a broadband service I depend upon as a freelancer working at home. So far I've wasted three months of broadband charges (£30.00), you've also caused three days of lost work (£750.00) because I'm unable to reliably video conference my clients.
Kelly promised to look into compensation for the terrible of service. She never rang back. So I rang again on 20-June-2013 and spoke to Matthew about it. He said my complaint was with your escalations team. So I asked a reasonable question - when will they get in touch? He didn't know. I asked if I could speak to them for an update.  I wasn't allowed and he told me to just wait until they call me.
It's now 03-July-2013 and no one has called me back. Our broadband still goes up and down throughout the day and runs at a choking speed, we're on router number four by the way - which cost me another £32.99 so that's a running total of £812.99 you've cost me.
So I've had enough of wasting time and money - today I cancelled my direct debit. I'd like someone to investigate how things went so badly wrong, so other people don't have to go through this again. And just to be clear, I don't want another telephone conversation about an engineer visit or more connection monitoring.
Chris Kenworthy.
6 REPLIES 6
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: The infinite loop

Did you have a business service? If so, there should be a service level agreement in place - unfortunately if you are carrying out business activities on a residential b/band contract then you really don't have any claim for meaningful compensation!!
Mav
Fixes: 514

While I understand the frustrations, cancelling the Direct Debit is not a good idea as this could be deemed as you breaking the contract. You may incur extra charges as well as the possibility of debt collectors getting involved with adverse affects on your credit rating.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can understand your frustration, unfortunately that's pretty much how the fault resolution process works - we can make requests and push, but we need to follow our supplier's processes.
I'd strongly recommend continuing with the investigation, it's the only way things are going to get resolved. We can promise to request further investigation rather than engineer visits, or wait and see if weekend appointments are available (unfortunately those are few and far between).
It's your call of course, I'm sorry that things have gone on this long but assure you we will do our best to get this sorted if given the chance.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Its frying pan and fire Im afraid.
Unless you can find an LLU supplier then its the same BT equipment whoever your ISP is. Roll_eyes
then there is the copper to the exchange .... Crazy.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: cjkenworthy
Even the three BT engineers who visited, after reading your notes, reckon you have no idea what the problem even is with our broadband connection.

Isn't it their job to find out what the problem is and fix it? That's why they were sent out, isn't it?  Huh
keith4x4
Grafter

Chris
I know that feeling so very very well. Infinite loop? Oh yes and still more pointless rubbish up until you either give-up or die.
It has endless possibilities right up until the eureka moment when the next new bright spark tells you “its your router” so back to square 1.
I have been on this road for 2 years plus (current call with minusnet opened 11th November)
I actually thought I had light at the end of the tunnel but no just another total time waste.
I work as a contractor and just as yourself “no work = no pay” I will not embarrass all the bleeding heart do gooders by naming a figure .
I am absolutely astounded that PN ever got any awards for anything.
Currently I am averaging an update on my call about every 11 days.
I have just been corrected apparently the awards are for having a UK based call centre and nothing to do with customer service (reference http://ihateplusnet.blog.co.uk)
Still I am sure the professional way you are apologised too will really make the difference.
jim:red avoidance of this Forum Rule sorted mod:end