Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I join Plusnet

FIXED
Ricky45
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Should I join Plusnet

Very true, just need enough to stream HD content at peak times and weekends and my step son's online gaming when he stay's here.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I doubt they gave you a "guaranteed" minimum expected speed. They probably quote "expected" minimum speed (though it may not say that). The DSL checker results give you what's should be achievable. On a good line (A) you'll get between 55.8 and 76 download and on a poor (B) line between 42 and 68.3

Brian

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your estimate is sufficient for Unlimited Fibre Extra (76/19 Mbps) currently at an offer price. Smiley

Moving you off LLU onto BT equipment in the exchange will obviously change things, though if there is a fault in your copper line to the cabinet it is unlikely moving ISP will fix that.

If the fault remains it's unfortunate that you'll have to start again with fault reporting, including engineer visits. Progress with fault investigations can be slow but sticking with it will hopefully get things fixed. Smiley

David
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@chenks76 wrote:
no vodafone have their own network.
the only part of the BT network they use is from your house to the exchange, which is the same for every ISP.

from the exchange they have their own backhaul network.

Vodafones Network does not extend to all exchanges. 

I assume that for many exchanges Vodafone have to use BTW to connect to a Vodafone POP.

However, Norwich Central has been unbundled by Vodafone according to SamKnows.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EANCC

Given the relatively small Vodafone BB customer base it would be surprising if their network was overloaded.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/05/vodafone-uk-grows-216000-fixed-broadband-9-5-million-4g...

The Vodafone router is known to be problematic (which is an understatement):

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19234.0.html

Perhaps the VF router is the source of the OPs problems?

Richard

Ricky45
Grafter

Thanks for all your replies and help, I still have ten days left on the PN offer, when you say fault with the copper line part I take you mean the line from my local green cabinet to my house.

The biggest problem is Vodafone's costumer service seem's to know nothing about how to help, it's not like some other ISP providers who have dedicated technical staff on hand, I believe there quite new at providing internet services. They never even considered the router could be the problem, but that's another long story.

I agree about Vodafone being over subscribed, I thought they were a small ISP, it just seemed to me it was easier to let me go rather then find or fix the problem.

Just one more thing, is PN's fair usage policy anything to worry about.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

fault with the copper line part I take you mean the line from my local green cabinet to my house.

Correct, that is what it will mean

is PN's fair usage policy anything to worry about.

Nope , as there isn't one

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ricky45
Grafter

PN's fair usage policy.

"Nope , as there isn't one"

Well they seem to disagree.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

That information is from a 3rd party website and is incorrect , there is no FUP with PN

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ricky45
Grafter

1. Well almost made it through Kong Skull Island tonight on Amazon Video, started off in full 1080p HD, then half way through it went to HD and yet again switching from HD to SD, very stark difference in picture quality, very annoying.

Vodafone ain't a viable ISP, for me anyway.

Internet intermittent and dropping out, so thanks again for your time and help.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Your very welcome , sure you will have a better experience with PN

Ricky45
Grafter

Fix

I did read up on there fair usage policy, it said it uses a priority system, certain online activities take priority over other's so the lower priority activities will be slowed down at certain times if your bandwidth is being used up, no capping in that sense.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

PN did have a traffic prioritisation system , which is very different to an FUP , but PN completely removed TP a few weeks ago.

Ricky45
Grafter

Many thanks, much appreciated.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Traffic prioritisation was removed from the unlimited products a while ago but even with it in place it helped to ensure real time activities were given bandwidth in preference to that for non-interactive downloads. It didn't cap line speed.

In fact some of us had reservations about it being *removed* but there hasn't been adverse comment in these forums.

David
Ricky45
Grafter

Thank you, it did sound a good idea.