Service keeps dropping and helpdesk not able to resolve

stevem001

Service keeps dropping and helpdesk not able to resolve

I was really unsatisfied with the conversation with the helpline today
regarding issues with my broadband.

I was told that the router was old and probably developing an issue. I was
also advised that I could have had a replacement when I re-contracted as an
incentive to stay with Plusnet. I advised that I had been with you for 3
years and cannot understand why the router could not be replaced now.

I only assume that you are only concerned to get a customer to renew a
contract and after there is no customer loyalty. That was a surpise and a
frankly a shock that stamement was made and the router cannot be replaced
free of charge.

Also I am embarrased that I have convinced my partner to open a contract
with you and she overheard my conversation. I mentioned to her that she
will is still  within the "cool-off" period, so she is looking to cancel
her contract as well - xxx xxx xxx 

Obviously there is a choice of providers, and I will now be looking at
alternatives. This is a matter of principle relating to customer loyality
(or lack of it) and it looks like you will lose 2 customers.

Unless I hear back from you wirthin 2 days, I will assume you are happy to
lose 2 customers over the provision of a route

12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Service keeps dropping and helpdesk not able to resolve

Hi Steve,

A warm welcome to the forums. One customer to another, at 3 years your router is out of warranty, so can you please advise why you feel that you should get a free replacement?

A personal view is that the BT routers Plusnet are forced to use are not the best of breed, There are better routers out there for not very much. A few months back I picked up an excellent (apparently brand new) TP router for £10 in a charity shop. Far more functionality than the BT hubs.

Have you checked your phone line for noise?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear of the advice you were given by our support team.

As a gesture of goodwill, I'll be happy to send you a free router (excl. the postage fee of £6.99).

Please let me know if you want to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevem001

Thank you for your goodwill gesture. Please arrange for the router to be sent with the postage charge. I am hoping this will resolve the issue

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you let us know you're happy with the cost by replying to this ticket?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevem001

Yes happy with the cost thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We'd ideally need the request coming from your account.

Can you reply to the ticket please.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevem001

Sorry you didnt make it clear I had to reply from my account. Now done

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. We've ordered the router for you and it should arrive soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Chigs

@Townman wrote:
Hi Steve,

A warm welcome to the forums. One customer to another, at 3 years your router is out of warranty, so can you please advise why you feel that you should get a free replacement?

A personal view is that the BT routers Plusnet are forced to use are not the best of breed, There are better routers out there for not very much. A few months back I picked up an excellent (apparently brand new) TP router for £10 in a charity shop. Far more functionality than the BT hubs.

Have you checked your phone line for noise?

After years with Plusnet I had to finally join the forums to reply to this.

Since I signed up to Plusnet I've had nightmares getting things sorted from them sending BT engineers to activate the wrong address resulting in me taking two days off (even though I had to do nothing!), and sending my Technicolor 582n router to the wrong address also, through to poor router performance in a single storey flat, even in the same room.  When it was fine it was fine, but I complained on support calls about how frequently it would cut out, even after all tests, resets, channel changes etc. I had tried another Technicolor 582n. They are just not fit for purpose. The replacement model was not offered to me unless I paid full price for it. I was told on Twitter earlier this year and this week also a potential replacement could be sent out.  I am reassured by Gandalf's response in this thread that something can be done. I don't want to pay for something to replace hardware that was unsatisfactory from day one, but of course the postage isn't a problem... I'm already payuing £9 more a month than new customers would pay - a lovely reward for my loyalty - the least that should be done is allowing me to get close to the 76Mbps I'm paying for! So, I've considered moving but would like to give Plusnet one last try with the Hub One in tow, with fingers crossed that my WiFi connection improves finally.  Ethernet has always been the saviour and until recently most scenarios I have just lived with.  However, this week has been speeds of anywhere from completelety dead to 1.2Kbps download... 😕  I don't want to use the BT Openreach modem and the Technicolor router anymore... I managed to get speeds back up to 18Mbps where it was stuck for some time until another few reboots bringing it somewhere closer to 50Mbps. How long that lasts, I don't know, but I had to vent at someone wondering why people would want a router replaced free; I've been asking for over 3 years so maybe its time I either get something for my loyalty or just give up and leave... I get OPs situation may be different, but still, this has been a bit of a frustrating journey.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chigs,

If you have issues you would like help with, please start your own topic and provide the information requested in the speed issues topic.  Of the recent routers provided by Plusnet, personally I would argue that the 582n was the best.  Its the one I use on the end of a fairly long ADSL line and I see few problems.

2704n's I have seen show marked issues with WifI stability requiring periodic reboots.  The HUB1's are out of date BT Home Hubs - about two versions behind the current BT Home Hub.  Personally I would not use anything out of the BT stable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chigs

Interesting @Townman - the only solution to bad is worse, or spend on a decent Asus. Glad you got a decent TP; I've had varying results.

My issue has been raised via social media team but if that fails I'll create a new post here. Thanks for the advice. I was just venting here that the 582n has always struggled to maintain a stable wireless connection even with no channel conflicts. Even in the same room.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The TG582n performance is markedly influenced by the firmware version (and hardware version).  I have firmware 10.2.2.B and currently have a 116 day xDSL session.

WiFi performance is very much influenced by what else is happening in your locality.  Too many OTHER wifi SSIDs on the wrong channels can cause havoc for any budget wifi router.