Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sadly leaving PlusNet for new 150MB service from EE

DaveLister
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Sadly leaving PlusNet for new 150MB service from EE

My contract with PlusNet ends this month, but they still don't offer the 150/300MB service, despite EE and BT offering it from my exchange. If the speed is as promised I will be get 3 times faster downloads for only an additional £1.50 per month. I was told, by email, I would be charged an early contract leaving fee for one month, but was assured by the helpline this is wrong, and will only be charged for a few days in February while I wait for connection. I was consistently getting 64MB out of PlusNet a few months ago but this dropped to about 48MB in September and has stayed that way ever since. EE are offering the new service at a 20% discount for 18 months and halved the setup fee to £25. You need a engineer to visit your home to install a booster box on the copper line. Apart from the speed drop, I was happy with the PlusNet service and would have stayed if they offered the new one for a similar price.

21 REPLIES 21
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Sadly leaving PlusNet for new 150MB service from EE

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DaveLister
Grafter

I also want to keep my email addresses and PlusNet used to charge £20 a year to keep them. I was told on the chatline this service is now free to old customers, unlike BT who charge an extortionate £7.50 per month to keep emails. Once I get the new EE service, I will see if the PlusNet emails still work, and then finally dump BT once and for all.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't EE also part of BT?

DaveLister
Grafter

Yes BT own EE, but hopefully will keep charging less for almost the same service.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and sorry to see you're going. 

Yes, we would only charged a part-month as you've mentioned, that's handled automatically so I think the agent was referring to what fees would be due if the account were have been closed there and then. 

I hope everything goes smoothly with EE for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi DaveLister

If you wish to keep your existing PlusNet email account make sure you ask before you leave as there have been various posts about people having  problems because they did not ask before leaving and their email account was closed

Brian A

DaveLister
Grafter

OK thanks Adam, but the point is your system quotes an incorrect charge in writing. This should be corrected if you don't want many complaints. The monthly charge for my package is given as £11.61, instead of a daily cost of less than a pound.

DaveLister
Grafter

Thanks Brian, I did ask the chatline staff to note that I want to keep my emails for this closed account.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@DaveLister wrote:

My contract with PlusNet ends this month, but they still don't offer the 150/300MB service, despite EE and BT offering it from my exchange. If the speed is as promised I will be get 3 times faster downloads for only an additional £1.50 per month. EE are offering the new service at a 20% discount for 18 months and halved the setup fee to £25. You need a engineer to visit your home to install a booster box on the copper line. Apart from the speed drop, I was happy with the PlusNet service and would have stayed if they offered the new one for a similar price.

Lucky you. I was only looking at whether Plusnet offered such a service this afternoon. If they don't up their game I suspect more people will start to look elsewhere.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
DaveLister
Grafter

Just noticed Talk-Talk have jumped on with a 150/300 service offering with very similar pricing to EE. They have a very good description page with the exchanges listed :

• Bath
  • Brighton & Hove
  • Cambridge
  • Cheltenham
  • Derby
  • Edinburgh
  • Gillingham
  • High Wycombe
  • Leamington Spa
  • Luton
  • St Austell
  • Swansea

So if you use one of these 12 exchanges, then perhaps an upgrade is possible. The more people get the service, the more this should encourage the main ISP's to roll out more. An upgrade makes sense for people who download large files, have many people connecting via the same router, or are quick adopters of new technology, e.g. 4K. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

That was the initial 12 pilot sites, it's expanded quite a bit since.

Link

DaveLister
Grafter

OK great thanks for the update, more exchanges means more customers and the roll out should go faster.

DaveLister
Grafter

Extended exchange list: 

Armley
    Bath Kingsmead
    Bishops Stortford
    Brierley Hill
    Brighton Hove 
    Chorlton
    Eltham
    Glasgow Bridgeton
    Glasgow Douglas
    Great Barr
    Hammersmith
    Hemel Hempstead
    High Wycombe
    Hunslet
    Kidbrooke
    Liverpool Central
    Lofthouse Gate
    Manchester East
    Mansfield
    Northern, Birmingham
    Parsons Green
    Portsmouth North End
    Pudsey
    Rochdale
    Wandsworth
    Whitchurch, South Glamorgan

This list may still be out of date 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

That's only phase 2 which includes my exchange, new exchanges are being added on a daily basis.