cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router farce. No bb over xmas

Backhojo

Router farce. No bb over xmas

So the OR engineer came today and installed our fibre service then he asked me...can i have the router. What router ? You mean you havent got it with you. Turns out that the router is sent in advance via royal mail (thanks for not bothering to point this out PLusnet). So i am now left with no internet. Phoned plusnet and they blamed xmas post and said it was sent on 19th. Why not send it two weeks ago..i dont care if its sat round waiting for install day. So then i check my account messages (usng slow 3G on an ipad) and message posted at 4pm today says "hardware bundle ordered" ????? What does this mean....looks like they havent sent router and have just realised so sent today. This theory  is backed up by text message i got this afternoon to say "your router is on its way"...shocking customer service. Why dont they just give OR the router to bring with them. Or why dont they send router with a reliable courier service, afterall they charged me for delivery when i placed the order. Not impressed.
32 REPLIES 32
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Router farce. No bb over xmas

Do you realise you can connect your computer direct to the OR modem. You will need to set the protocol to PPPoA  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PeterLoftus
You will need to set the protocol to PPPoA  Smiley

WRONG !,  you need to set your computer to PPPoE.
PeterLoftus
Pro

Lips_are_sealed
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
picbits
Rising Star

Here you go - hopefully it will get you up and running until you get your router sorted Smiley
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Backhojo

Thanks. Only issue is that i dont know my bb password and user name...where do i find these ?
Will this work on XP ? I have windows 7 on laptop but not as convenient due to location of modem.
Backhojo

Doesnt work. Tried everything in the guide and even managed to chat online to plusnet support, until i lost the chatroom connection. I get an error 651
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

OK, Assuming you have the correct username and password (Error 651 indicates an authentication error), then either you are entering them incorrectly, or your account has not been activated.
[Edit] Your user details would have been sent by email in your Welcome Pack, but if you haven't received that the help desk should be able to give them to you. I believe you use the same password as you use to log on to the member centre, and you username takes the form of username@plusdsl.net - you would have chosen the username and password when ordering, I think.[/Edit]
Try connecting with the following:
Username - bt_test@startup_domain
Password - anything
if that connects you won't get web pages, so disconnect and try this next:
Username - bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
Password - anything
After that it's a call to support. What they do depends on the result. If the connection worked it may just be that your account has not been activated yet, in which case they should be able to do that while you are on the phone. If it doesn't work they'll probably have to raise a fault with BTwholesale to get that rectified.
Backhojo

thanks for your help. username is indeed username@plusdsl.net and password is the same as member centre.
I eventually got connected using my other desktop PC that runs XP. cant connect using laptop on windows 7. very weird. I contact support via the online chat - not surprisingly they were not very busy today ! infact i was on to them around lunchtime and they were really quiet - everyone else eating turkey I think !
they said there could be some registry files missing from my laptop and there is not a lot they can do - they checked my account and confirmed all active. I then tried on teh XP machine and got straight in ! I have 49mbps - not bad considering I pay for only 40 and I have moved from 2.5mbps !!!
not an ideal solution as cant connect any wi-fi devices but dont need the internet much over the holidays. new router has been sent in case first one was lost in the post.
thanks for the tips - would not have connected without your help. shame they dont train the OR technicians cos if he had this info he could have got me up and running !
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Glad to hear it's working for you. When the router arrives just move the ethernet cable from your PC to the uplink port on the router and it should self configure. You can connect your wireless and non-wireless devices to the router, and remember to delete the PPPoE connection from the PC that you directly connected to the modem.
PeterLoftus
Pro

Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for the problems you've had but great to see that the other posters in this thread were able to get you online!
thanks for the tips - would not have connected without your help. shame they dont train the OR technicians cos if he had this info he could have got me up and running !

The OR engineer is only required to prove the modem (not the router) is in sync, not to ensure a full end to end connection.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Backhojo

yes, i know that, but how hard would it be for them to be sent a memo with the knowledge in it so they can connect customers when the router has not arrived ?
or better still....why dont plusnet get their act together and send the router 2 WEEKS IN ADVANCE ??????? there is no logical reason why not
my router was allegedly sent out on 19th dec (although reading some of the account notes I am suspicious of this ?) and ITS STILL NOT ARRIVED.
dick:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We usually send routers to be delivered 2 days prior to the install, normally this causes no problems and the router arrives in time. However looking at your account I think we've messed up and only ordered the router when you contacted us about it, I can't see any record of a router being ordered prior to when you contacted us via ticket around Christmas. Due to all the bank holidays and then the weekend, your router was dispatched yesterday, so I'm sorry that you've been advised any differently (I'll pick this up with the agents in question).
I'm just about to reply to your ticket again and I'll arrange a goodwill gesture for the error.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
However looking at your account I think we've messed up and only ordered the router when you contacted us about it, I can't see any record of a router being ordered prior to when you contacted us via ticket around Christmas.

Chris,
Was the OPTIONAL router requested at the time the OP processed their FTTC order?  IIRC the PlusNET router is not a mandatory option - the user can if they so choose opt to use a suitable router supplied by themselves... which is another reason for not supplying these via BTOR.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.