cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnaet Failure

DieselDo
Dabbler

Plusnaet Failure

Sad Angry Plusnet this is the 1st time you have failed me.  YES MY WIRING IS GOOD IN HOUSE      why do i have to wait 72 hrs for just a reply  and yes i dont  like  your rep raising his voice to me.  I am the customer  i can raise my voice  if he raises it back not good.  I will look into leaving you tonight due to this and the original phonecall  was about drop outs.  over 30 in 1 afternoon  now i have to wait till thursday.  Yeah right  goood job plus net  u had my cash  u wont be getting it no more at this rate
19 REPLIES 19
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnaet Failure

Either this is just posturing or I cannot see the point of posting it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Sounds like one very angry customer... Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Sounds like a customer who does not understand that there is a process to go through which protects them from the risk of a fault in their equipment or wiring giving rise to the risk that they will be charged by BTOR for a no fault found engineering visit.  Similarly they are ignorant of the fact that if there is a fault with the BTOR owned and maintained phone line, then it is most likely that the fault will move with them should they decide to move ISPs.  Thinking that raising one's voice helps to fix a problem is shear arrogance.
A rant like this is also unlikely to garner support from the community.  If the OP wants help from the community, please take a look at the speed and connection threads at the top of the broadband forum and post the results back here or raise an on line fault report here - http://faults.plus.net - PlusNET support staff will not be on these forums during the weekend.
Repeated disconnections can be caused by...
A faulty filter - these can just degrade to the point where they fail to do their job - has a replacement been tried?
A flaky router - ditto - ditto?
Internal extension wiring - ditto - has the router been connected to the test socket (if there is one) for a good period of time?
Electrical interference from within and without the home - has any new equipment / appliance been acquired recently?
Noisy phone line - has a 17070 option 2 quiet line test been performed using a corded phone plugged into the test socket?  If there is noise on the line then that needs to be addressed by the phone service provider (which might not be PlusNET) before proceeding further with a broadband fault investigation.
Until all of the above have been assessed, unless one is prepared to face / accept a marked risk of getting a £60+ bill from BTOR then proceeding to an engineer visit is foolish.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst it sounds like the OP is quite justifiably angry at the way the call was handled, and would be understandably annoyed and upset at the drop-outs that were encountered, things were obviously not explained in a satisfactory manner.
Townman has mentioned plenty of factors that could easily be the cause of such a fault, and these have to be checked out, a lot of them by the user.
But what should be made clear is that even if the responsibility turns out to be Plusnet's to get fixed whatever the fault is, it will not have been caused by Plusnet who have no control over the cable to the exchange, the users equipment, electrical interference etc. etc.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DieselDo,
Sorry to hear that you've had a fault with the service as well as concern surrounding the agent you spoke with about this.
I have since reviewed your account and can see that you had this matter raised with a manager who both the fault raised/engineer booked for you as well as investigating the problem call to be listened to.
If there is anything more we can help you with then just drop us a reply here and again we're sorry for any inconvenience you may have seen.
Criticmonkey

Ditto. Been with Plusnet just 3 weeks, had a fault on line (phone & internet) from day 1. They cannot fix and keep fobbing me off. Terrible customer service, each complaint takes 48hrs for them to tell me its fixed, only for me to re-complain  that it isn't.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Criticmonkey,
Your issue is being dealt with elsewhere - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130156.msg1133436.html#msg1133436 - where you have been advised that BTOR (PN's suppliers) have forecast a fix for 6th Aug.
Quote from: Criticmonkey
Agreed. The fault lies with the people you are giving your money to. Plusnet are failing me too.

Comments such as this in other people's threads are not helpful and in this cause not accurate.  The fault in your case lay with BTOR, accountability for resolving the issue does indeed lay with the people one pays the bill to, but not the fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cruise85
Grafter

Hi Criticmonkey
I can confirm that I have chased Openreach for you this afternoon, who have advised me that they believe that they have resolved the ingoing fault on the line.
I have reviewed the connection and this appears stable, however if you find that a fault is still apparent, please don't hesitate to respond to the fault ticket so that we can further investigate.
DieselDo
Dabbler

ty for all your replys  .  @Anotherone  i have my phone line rental with plusnet so they ARE responsible.  plusnet are owned by BT  .  I wont say no more.  @Towman  ty  your input to possible faults are much appreciated  i have been through same faults with many ISP's and they all give the same excuse.  New filters tried . No test socket in my master plug. (plusnet are aware of this. ) resetting my profile at the exchange used to sort a similar problem.    Didnt know about the 17070 option 2.  Could you please come out of retirement and work for plusnet customer service plz? Would have been nice to talk to some1 that knows system.
DieselDo
Dabbler

Adam C  ty  I will be in touch after the engineer visit 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

DieselDo,
Thank you for your kind words - come out of retirement and work for PlusNET - an interesting idea!  Huh
Not having a modern nte5 with a test socket could indeed be a factor in your issue.  The need to "reset at the exchange" again is very indicative of a line / connection / equipment fault.  It suggests that the error rate on your line is driving the exchange management systems in the "wrong" direction.  The standard stats requested should indicate this if we could see them.
The process is a bit of a pain, but it is there to significantly eliminate the risk of ineffective use of BTOR resources with the consequence of costs to the end user (you), costs to the ISP (billing and payment processing) and BTOR not being available to service someone else's fault which they need to fix - which could have been yours - resulting in a no show appointment.  One way or another these checks do everyone a favour!
I've been through all the stages of this over the years: "It worked yesterday, nothing has changed here so the fault must be somewhere else" only to eventually find that changing the router, filter or moving to the master socket has eliminated the "external" issue.  Electronics deteriorate over time, especially capacitors.  Their decay can be slow or sudden, but having crossed their operational margin they no longer do their job properly, which is not the same as not working at all. Marginal operation is a major issue in any high speed system, be that telecommunications or computers.
A very significant number of speed and connectivity problems are down to those issues which users are asked to check out.  After that the router stats and other data (if you know how to interpret them) can tell you a great deal about the likely cause of a problem, which is why they are asked for.  Some issues can be resolved by correcting line settings, others will require an engineer visit.
However an ever increasing number of Internet issues are caused by the many electrical gadgets we use in our homes: anything having a switched mode power supply (those little black boxes powering laptops etc); baby monitors; DECT phones; plasma TVs; Freeview boxes; CCTV systems; central heating; fridge / freezers; in fact nearly anything which switches on / off or for some reason uses a variable amount of power (switch to / from standby) can cause a phenomena called REIN.  This is really bad news as it is difficult to locate and (especially if external to your home) be difficult to eliminate.  BTOR have no regulatory power to cause the "owner" of the cause of REIN to rectify matters.  At the business premises I recently occupied, West coast mainline trains passing nearby generated a -4+dB noise spike - given that my normal noise margins was around 6dB on some occasions that spike was enough to drop my connection - nothing anyone could (or would) do about that.
I hope your engineer visit finds a fault which can be fixed.  Hopefully he will fit a modem nte5 socket - if he does not suggest it, ask him if he thinks it will be beneficial.  Be warned there might be other faults which they don't pursue - there is a tendency to assume that the fault found which when fixed and delivers some improvement is all that's wrong with a line.  You might find it useful to get the router stats before they attend to compare them to after they leave.  This will give you a comparison of the achieved improvement.  Further, sight of your current stars will allow an estimation to be made of what your line should do, so that when talking to the engineer you will know how close to ideal their fix is before they leave.
HTH.

DieselDo
Dabbler

Update Time.  Bt engineer came out no fault found in internal wiring  New main socket fitted incorperating test plug  .  no noise on line  .  3 hours later  wife rang to say  lots of noise (( crisp packet being russled)  by the time i got home  no noise  tried 17070 opt 2 ( tyvm townman)  no noise.  great  intermittent fault  .  tested my speed tonight  ive suddenly gone from 16 to 6  .  ok  something going on .    I request this ticket should remain open as an ongoing fault  as per phone call i am just about to make
@ Townman  thanks again  Bt engineer confirms connection from house to modem good and was very pleased to see connection from modem to PC is via ethernet 🙂
DieselDo
Dabbler

hi all last post on this subject please.  TY all for input and support  as of 00.30 8th aug 2014 i have cancelled my broadband with Plusnet.  Great 4 nearly 2 years  then  same as others so join ill find another that promises me the world and will deliver for 18 months then think they own me .  hope u all get any probs sorted    Big TY to Chris  who was PlusNet support  on the phone tonight  . Not your fault  its company fault.    Ty 2 Townman  (get ya ass outta retirement  )  Many thanks for the input
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds to me like you may still have a line fault which you'll take to your new ISP & Openretch still will have to fix!