cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying more and getting less

SeanM
Grafter

Paying more and getting less

I've been with Plusnet for years now so long I can't remember when I switched to them. I've never faulted the service and have made some referrals and would still do so. However I have a gripe! I'm not a heavy user as the figures below prove. So this month I've hit the dreaded 11GB where I get a nice warning that I'm near the 13GB limit of a 20GB limit. Now I understand that these things have to be in place to avoid sustained abuse but I object to the idea that once I hit 13GB I'll have my speed cut down to 2Mbit. This is nonsense, for one I'm no where near my monthly limit for which I am paying for and secondly this is probably the 2nd time I've ever got close to 13GB never mind 20GB. Plusnet should apply a rule that if someone hits these (unfair) limits 3 months in a row then throttle that persons account at peak times.
Billing Period  Peak usage  Off-peak usage  Total usage
09 Sep - 08 Oct 6.7GB                 1.99GB                   8.69GB
09 Oct - 08 Nov 5.76GB                 2.48GB                   8.24GB
09 Nov - 08 Dec 8.14GB                 4.79GB          12.93GB
Now onto the other reason behind this post.
I've noticed that I'm paying over the odds and getting less. Another of Plusnets crafty moves is to introduce new products that offer a better service charge less and then leave the older more expensive products in place so mugs like me are left subsidising newer customers. I guess I could draw a parallel with the fat bank manager from those certain TV adverts and Plusnet .
I'm on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 for which I am charged £21.52 a month and get only 20GB usage. Now looking at the current products on display I see I can get 30GB usage for £19.55.
This is very unfair as it shows that Plusnet don't give a toss about it's long term customers. Why not just move all your Premier customers onto this product? I already know if I request switch products I'll get stiffed with a £15 charge which will effectively see me still paying more.
I'm not happy at the way Plusnet are treating me and like I did with a certain satellite subscription company may well look to cancel my product and move it elsewhere. I do hope Plusnet didn't go to the same business school as them as when after 13 years of having their top of the range product I was not offered a single enticement to stay.
An annoyed customer.
38 REPLIES 38
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Paying more and getting less

I think if you check the peak/off-peak hours (and possibly prioretisation) of the packages you're comparing you'll find significant differences.
It always helps to be fully informed  Wink
You might consider revising your views after doing so.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is no charge for switching broadband products and hasn't been for a long time
SeanM
Grafter

Now this is from their products page
   * 30GB usage allowance
   * Up to 8Mb1 download speeds
   * 1 month contract
   * Free activation available2
   * Free wireless 4-Port router available2
   * Free overnight usage(midnight-8am)
   * Award-winning 24/7 support
   * Broadband Phone (VoIP) calls included3
   * Broadband Firewall and spam/virus protection
   * Unlimited email addresses, 250MB webspace and more
   * Great for surfing and streaming
   * Suitable for music and movies from sites such as iTunes and YouTube
   * Suitable for online gaming
   * Suitable for VPN

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
My current product -  http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
Your Way - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml?link_bbyw_view1=speeds#Option3sp...
So tell me where does it differ that much? Hardly any difference from what I can see. So unless you're going to add something that's actually useful i.e. something that informs me about what I'm missing then you should consider revising what you post.
Oldjim - Thanks. I've just found that out while looking at the product lists again - this is something that Plusnet haven't bothered to communicate when they removed that charge.
zubel
Community Veteran

The BBYW Packages offer a Peak time of 8AM-Midnight
Your current package offers peak time of 4PM-Midnight - SUBSTANTIALLY less.
Therefore your product is actually more beneficial if you use the internet during the day.
Plusnet will have mailed you about BBYW if you had not opted out of marketing emails.
The decision to switch is yours and yours alone  If PN automatically switched people to BBYW then there would be equally annoyed customers who have lost their longer off-peak hours.
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basic difference
Peak times with BBYW is from  8.00am to midnight
Peak times with Premier 4.00 pm to midnight
bugger Barry types too fast (and I had to check the numbers)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

"Broadband Premier Option 1 is provided with 20GB allowance for peak-time (4pm-Midnight) usage"!
Current products: "Free overnight usage(midnight-8am)"
So, to save you bothering to do the arithmetic you currently get 16 hours per day free INCLUDING MOST OFFICE HOURS.
New contracts get 8 hours per day free overnight.
Moderators note by Chemical Brother - Inflammatory Comment removed - please have another read of the link:rules

SeanM
Grafter

Wow so I get less peak time but even less download usage! How is this going to benefit me when I'm at work? The free hours is total [Censored] - nothing is free I pay for it. All it means is if I wanted to download large amounts I could leave my PC running either at night or during the day to take advantage to unlimited (subject to restrictions) during off peak. I've never felt the need to do either so why would I start now. As for your marketing emails I don't ever recall opting out. If a change to T's & C's had been made we should be been informed e.g. that the charge to change products was dropped.
Moderators note by Chemical Brother : Inflammatory comment removed - please see the link:rules
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Jim the mod
Please keep this civil - there is no need for personal comments.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding comparison with Premier.
If you switch to BBYW3 then the download limit is 30GB  for £19.55 per month. So more than the Premier limit but with longer peak hours
zubel
Community Veteran

@SeanM
The decision to move packages is yours
I can guarantee you that you will have been mailed about BBYW if you had not opted out.  I suspect that you did opt out, or you do not monitor the mailbox that PN send mail to.
However, that being said - it seems that in your circumstances it would be beneficial to switch to a BBYW package, so merely select the upgrade option from the portal and choose the package that suits you the best.
B.
Santiago
Grafter

Hi Sean
I am also on Premier Option 1and have never liked the fact that the package is stated at 20GB peak time at up to 8MB but in fact it should say 13GB at up to 8MB and the remaining 7GB at up to 2MB or whatever you can get. I have grumbled about it on here before and have  been lectured on traffic management best practice and fair use for all. Apparently plusnet are helping us to stay within the 20GB limit and saving some peak time internet for their other customers.
However on the other hand, as already mentioned, the peak time is considerably less on this package than the newer ones. That means you are only measured on your use between 4.00pm and midnight. Outside those peak times the usage is not measured.
This useful for scheduling downloads and updates etc.
So on balance I have decided to stick with the legacy product as the off peak times suit me.
Looking at your usage if you want to save some money Plusnet have an offer on for 10GB per month for £9.75 if you sign up for 12 months http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/12/17/10gb-broadband-offer-broadband-only/
It is being discussed here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71998.0/topicseen.html
I hope this helps you
SeanM
Grafter

Jim - you moderate my post but it's OK for HP to tell me to wind my neck in? It was that statement that riled me! Perhaps he didn't notice but this forum is called Rants & Raves.
I notice no one has commented on the ridiculous 13GB limit and how unfair it is to those who hardly ever go over the limit. Or how Plusnet change their T's & C's and don't inform people - a bit like when they changed their products from unlimited (which I signed up to) and reduced the download limits time and again and then send out an email telling us how are limit has been "up"ed from 15GB to 20GB.
Santiago - thanks for your comments (very useful) just read before I posted this! Plusnet don't listen despite what they say.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can anyone remember how long ago the throttling at 13MB on Premier 1 was introduced? I'm guessing getting on for three years.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SeanM
Grafter

Can anyone tell me if I switch to BBYW 3 do I get the free router? I ask as my 3com has been rebooting itself a lot recently.