cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One month, two weeks on...

Siddy
Grafter

One month, two weeks on...

I have wrote this post many times and the deleted it as it gets long and just shows how frustrated i am so im going to keep it short and sweet...
Im really fed up with this service and trying to get my tech to work together nicely, ive asked for help on these forums and thankfully one person came to help but, i still have issues. Infact after spending two hours trying to fix the issues im having yesterday it seems i made the issue worse but what do you expect when you can not get help? Ive searched your fabulous website for help and even tried to make a ticket but after being sent from one page to another i just gave up, maybe im missing the part where it says start a ticket as all im seeing is ask jess...
I wish i could rejoin VM if im honest because everything work flawlessly with them plug in WNR2000, yay tech works and so does the internet! With you though, its just more sodding issues.
Previous posts:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131198.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131500.0.html < plusnet didnt respond why supefish were on my router
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131536.0.html < chose the second option but disabling dhcp on the wnr2000 means no nas unit.
Anyway, because i'll get no responses nor help again i'll go to another site and see if i can get some kind folks to help me out. Im seriouslly dissapointed in my new internet provider. But please feel free to throw in your two cents at last while i seek help and guidence from elsewhere.
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: One month, two weeks on...

Hi again Siddy,
You certainly had a bit of a rough ride with the installation, but that is now history.
In respect of the supefish issue, the reason you had no response from PlusNet is that the question was answered by the community - when the internet link is down (or a URL cannot be resolved by DNS) you can get the router logon page reporting that the link you tried to connect to failed.  When you clicked the link, you got to the target which looks like a script.
As for the other issue, this is user side networking and is not the remit of the ISP's support service.  They might be able to assist, put it is not their area of expertise.
Reading between the lines of what your are seeking to do, you seem to think that putting all of your media services onto a separate network will improve their performance.  This will only be the case if you are streaming from one device to another WITHIN your own local network.  If you are streaming from the internet, this will make no difference as the throttle point is the internet link, not the internal network.
A reason that the WNR2000 worked with your VM set up and not PN is possibly down to the different default IP networks used between VM and PN routers.
There are two common LAN subnets used by most home routers - 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 - PlusNet routers by default use the first.
If any of the devices have been given fixed IP addresses in the 192.168.1.0 range or the WNR2000 has a DHCP pool in this range then mayhem will ensue when connected to the PlusNet router.  To work proficiently in the absence of a desire / skill to establish interconnected separate subnets, there should only be one DHCP service (that supplied by the TG router) and all devices should be configured to obtain DHCP addresses.
As for the PC taking ages to connect, if it has dual connectivity to your network (wired and wifi) it could be having difficulty working out how it should route internet traffic.

It might help to step back and list all of your devices, what you need to connect to what and which need to access the internet.  Others around here might then be able to advise on the best way to set this up - all in one subnet as I have suggested or possibly a segmented network allowing some devices only local connectivity over a higher speed LAN and others access to the internet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Siddy
Grafter

Sorry i stopped reading after reading plusnet dont need to answer why their modem is displaying an ad companys link on a  failed login as i clicked nothing other than "Ok" to access the router after i typed in the IP address.
But yes, sure blame it on a virus i never had good call.
Im requesting for this to be closed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

This is the first time I've ever heard of a customer having 'Superfish' on their computer when redirected to the router page.
It sounds as though there may be some programs/add ons or even toolbars installed on your computer, which require the internet to be able to function properly, which is why I'd think you've received the error you have, it's perhaps bad timing that it was displayed when you were redirected to your router.
I appreciate, from your last comment that you think this is something that we've caused, but experience and knowledge from working in our Customer Support Centre would direct me as per above. If there is anything we can help with, please let us know. I'm sure Townman was just trying to help you with his response above.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The Superfish issue was to do with your browser, not the router, but I don't suppose you'll read this either Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Locked as per OP's request as it isn't going anywhere