Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Nuisance calls

Yes I agree, however that is no excuse for those firms who ignore the TPS list - it is illegal for them to cold call.
One of the phrases that immediately puts me on guard and is liable to make me lose immediate interest is....
Mrs XXXXX - Hello how are you today?

AndyH
Grafter

Here's a little more info on the international CLID changes and rollout schedule:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/wholesalelinerentalbriefings/wholesalelineren...
colintivy
Rising Star

I find that the calls, which are all "Witheld" are those where there is no-one at the other end very irritating. I gather that these are computer-generated and establish that the number is a valid one for others to use for there own purposes. You cannot make noises to them to put them off. There was a suggestion that entering a row of #s would upset their system but I do not think that it works.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I find that organisations such as hospitals and Doctors surgeries who call you with appointment details etc. usually withhold their  number, so you either take a chance and answer the 'WITHHELD' call or ignore it and not know if it was important or not.  Utterly stupid and inconsiderate of them IMHO.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Pity there's no middle way for such as doctors and hospitals. Would it take a genius to come up with an option that allows the number to be replaced by, say "Doctor"?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MrT
Grafter

Why not just stop these organisations withholding their number!
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The main problem is the relationship we have with phones. I can't count the number of times I've been having a conversation with someone face to face and their phone has rung, they stop the conversation with me and start a conversation on the phone, frankly rude at worst, inconsiderate at best. If someone came up and butted into your conversation you'd tell 'em to push off.. We think because our phone has rung that the caller wants to talk to "ME" , is vitally important and everything else is secondary.
I let it go to answerphone if I am busy doing anything else, if it was important they'll leave a message or ring back, if not then why did they ring in the first place? Tele-marketeers rarely leave a message so I have saved myself the stress of getting angry at them.
Basic answerphone on PN is free I believe.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've been told that the way phone lines are arranged at our local NHS hospital, the only number that could be displayed is the generic hospital main switch board number - so they withold number, as in a large hospital the switchboard operator wouldn't know each individual/extension. Not sure that's a good enough reason tho' Huh
AndyH
Grafter

I reckon car insurance companies are to blame for a large majority of nuisance calls in the UK.
They sold the data of accidents/claims for years and got away with it.
I have always been ex-directory and it was only after a non-fault car accident that I started getting nuisance calls a could of years ago. They started off accident related, then I was getting everything from PPI to Anti-virus rubbish.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Had two of the most laughable "nuisance "calls today -first one, as I said "HELLO" she said "GOODBYE".....Beatles song anyone  Grin
2nd call was from "David" whose "English" was so excruciating that it took about a minute for me to translate into "I'm calling you about your unclaimed PPI......"
Mav
Fixes: 514

@Gerry I agree with your comments about the use of the phone. I frequently ignore the ringing phone if I'm already engaged in conversation with someone.
On the other hand why do people see that you are on the phone and still try to strike up a conversation with you Undecided
As for call waiting. I hate it when you are on a call to a friend/family then they they tell me they ave to go as they have another call coming in. Gggrrrrrrrrr - so rude!
Any calls I get that show as International, Withheld, etc I answer with silence until the caller says something.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still