cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nuisance calls

davemch

Nuisance calls

Plusnet bangs on about how great it is to its customers in all its TV adverts. Well, how about backing that promise up by doing what I believe should be a mandatory service provided by ALL phone companies and allow us to BLOCK unwanted calls at no additional charge. I violently object to having to pay anything to stop these scum from pestering me. It is adding insult to injury to charge your customers £4 a month for this. Phone companies need to start taking some sort of responsibility to protect their customers from this blight. I have received 6 of these stupid calls this afternoon alone, which is what has driven me to raise this topic.  So how about it Plusnet? Are you REALLY as concerned about your customers as you keep telling us? Prove to me that you are, please.
25 REPLIES 25
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Nuisance calls

Hey there,
The reason they're unable to provide this service for free, is because there is cost at wholesale level. Companies have to make their money somewhere, if they don't make money, they simply won't exist anymore.
Also, part of having a telephone line, much like an email address, sadly involves receiving unwanted contact (Sure there are spam filters for email, but you can't ever stop ALL spam)
At the end of the day, do what I do, use your mobile phone and don't use the landline, after all, a good majority of the population just use their landline for internet anyway.
Cheers,
Matt
picbits
Rising Star

Most telco companies charge for the call blocking / anonymous call stuff but you have plenty of restrictions.
If you bargain maybe £2-£3 a month then you're talking £24-£36 a year. A one off call screening / blocking phone will cost you £30-£40 as a one off payment and is far more flexible in operation than a line controlled blocker.
http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/cordless-phones/cordlessphones-answering-machine/bt-6500-dect-phon...
Oh and you can use it as a phone and answering machine too  Grin
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hmm, you forgot to add the cost of CLID...
picbits
Rising Star

Oops - true although I read somewhere that BT are going to start charging their own customers for CLID soon.
MrT
Grafter

A good start would be to stop callers withholding their number.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The best start would be to get international caller ID working on BT systems, it works on UK mobile networks so why do BT residential landlines just show 'International'?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MrT
Grafter

@w23 I agree that would also help. Don't know how you would get the Spanish boiler houses to display their number. Perhaps a pan-Europe law might help.  Undecided
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: w23
why do BT residential landlines just show 'International'?

This might be of interest:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmcumeds/writev/636-i/ntc008.htm
Displaying the number of calls from abroad
19. From autumn 2013 customers will, if required, in addition to the wording INTL, start to see the CLI of calls from abroad. Our plan is, as exchanges are upgraded, to roll out this facility to all customers by autumn 2014. This network development will allow customers to screen their calls more easily and recognise the numbers of friends and family calling from abroad. It will also readily provide CLI /data to help customers report their calls to the regulators.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Not before time. Thanks for the info Andy.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

In the interim, pay for caller display and zap them with one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-W5769-Sound-Machine-18486/dp/B002ICWDIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&q...
I've not had any repeat nuisance calls after they've been subjected to a loud "fart" etc,! I don't use it immediately but wait until they've launched into the script. In fact, if it's by the 'phone (mine is), caller display isn't that necessary. I have a Monty Python version too.
picbits
Rising Star

I've given my stepson full permission to be as abusive as he wants to anyone ignoring the fact that I'm on the TPS register.
He came back from school the other day saying he'd managed to wind up a PPI spammer calling his new mobile phone and strung them along for 10 minutes  Grin
maxjam
Dabbler

Quote from: picbits
I've given my stepson full permission to be as abusive as he wants to anyone ignoring the fact that I'm on the TPS register.

I'm an older guy and i'm also disabled and quite honestly i've been taking this action for a long time now....I get more than a bit twitchy having to literally drag myself to the phone only to listen to nonsense.....and I don't care who gets offended by my language......if you don't want to be offended then don't pester me with irritating phone calls. simple really...Colin
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: newagetraveller
In the interim, pay for caller display and zap them with one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-W5769-Sound-Machine-18486/dp/B002ICWDIK/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&q...
I've not had any repeat nuisance calls after they've been subjected to a loud "fart" etc,! I don't use it immediately but wait until they've launched into the script. In fact, if it's by the 'phone (mine is), caller display isn't that necessary. I have a Monty Python version too.
Fun idea provided the call is live and not a pre-recorded spew. They're unteachable.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Not far from where I live is a large call centre and whenever I pass there are usually a number of people in their late teens entering or leaving the building.
I'm thinking that this is the only job a lot of these young people, fresh from school can get....most weeks there are vacancies.
So although on the one hand I detest cold calls, on the other I feel sorry for these people who just want to earn a living.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine