cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Still no connection or router

Lloyd71
Dabbler

New customer - Still no connection or router

Over 2 weeks ago we decided to go with Plusnet as the ISP for our new house and received an order confirmation so that our account would be up and running when we moved in on the 15th. Having moved in we discovered there was no working phone line and no internet connection active. On the door mat was a letter from the 30th Jan welcoming us to Plusnet displaying our account details, however it turns out that we still have not been connected.
After a phone call to the customer services line (where I had to spend 15 minutes on hold building up my mobile phone bill) we got an online question raised against our account and were told that the phone line would be reconnected on the 18th Feb and the broadband would take 5 more days after that date.
So we are without internet and a home phone line while paying for it from the 15th. We've received no router and no contact besides the initial welcome email. I thought Virgin Media were bad but this is already worse. Is this how all new customers are treated? Get the account and then ignore them? Not a good start I'm afraid.
17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New customer - Still no connection or router

I'm really sorry about this.
It looks like this has happened part due to an inappropriate expectation being set and an issue with the order being picked up a little later than I would have like to have seen.
Regarding the router I've just dispatched that now. With any luck that should reach you tomorrow. Please let me know if it doesn't.
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to alter the time-scales involved but I have added an update to ticket  81415168  regarding something we can definitely do for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lloyd71
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, we received the router very quickly and were told via SMS that our connection was active a few days back. We've had to wait until today to try our internet connection since a tree fell on our phone line (the line is now working again), but it's not letting me connect to broadband at all. The router internet light fails to come on and even if I manage to log in via my browser it tells me my connection isn't active. This is despite waiting for an hour for the router to finish performing it's initial setup.
Is there any way of telling if we have been connected or not, please? It appears that despite being told otherwise, our connection still isn't active either due to the phone line issues or something else. Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm really sorry to hear that you're continuing to have problems getting online.
You may need to run through the router set up process in order to establish an Internet Connection. To do this you will need to do the following steps:
1. Connect an Ethernet Cable to the router and plug the other end into the computer/laptop.
2. Open up your Web Browser (Such as Internet Explorer).
3. In the address bar at the top of the page (where it says http) you will need to delete whatever is in there, and replace this with: 192.168.1.254
4. You will be prompted for a username and password. (These should have been supplied when you received the router)
5. You should now be logged into the Technicolor Gateway. Click where it says 'Technicolor Gateway' (Just once).
6. In the middle of your screen you should see where it says 'Pick a Task', directly underneath that, you should see 'Set up my Technicolor Gateway', please click this.
7. Click, 'Next' >> Make sure Plusnet is highlighted and click 'Next' again.
8. Type in your account username followed by @plusdsl.net and also fill in your account password in the password field.
9. Click 'Next' and then click where it says 'Start'.
10. You should see a screen saying 'Configuring your Technicolor Gateway'. After a few minutes this should complete and you then need to click 'Finish'.
You should then be connected to the Internet. Close the Internet Browser down and open up a new one and you should be free to surf the Internet.
If this doesn't do the trick, please let us know.
Lloyd71
Dabbler

That didn't work. It completed the setup, I closed the browser and re opened it to test the connection and was told to enter my gateway ID and password again. I did this and it did the exact same thing as last time; prompted me for my Plusnet username and password before telling me I had no internet connection. Clicking 'Connect' forces it to try and connect but once again I got a 'no internet connection' message.
My fiance just spent the last half hour on the phone only to have come to no working solution. A fault with our connection has been raised and this will add at least another 48 hours to our wait to get connected as we've got to hope an engineer gets in touch with an answer. Given our rural location I imagine it'll be another long wait yet.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just had a look at our RADIUS log records - this shows that when you ran through the router setup, you entered your account password incorrectly.
Can you run through it again and double check that you're typing in the correct details please?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just in case you are trying the wrong one - it's the password you use to log in to http://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html you should be using.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lloyd71
Dabbler

It's definitely the right username and password, I just tried it on the provided link and it worked first time.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sometimes your browser can save values such as passwords etc. so make sure the field is empty before you type it in.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The user name you entered was
username@plusdsl.net
where username was the name you use to log in to the portal?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lloyd71
Dabbler

The first time we tried I entered it incorrectly, every time since I've used that username and password. The same username and password we were instructed to use by the phone help.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Maybe you need to reset the router? Phone support should advise on that though.
Lloyd71
Dabbler

The router has been reset 3 times already, and it still behaves the same no matter what. I've got a different router in a box somewhere, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lloyd71,
How did you get on with the alternative router?
Lloyd71
Dabbler

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but we've had a phone call from someone who explained that there was yet another issue with the line and an engineer is looking into it.