cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 6 Days Of Plusnet Pain

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: My 6 Days Of Plusnet Pain

The sad thing is that many people on this forum would really have tried to help resolve the issues. But when you can't accept the reasoning for why the problems are present, I guess there is no hope.
stalkstalk
Grafter

When you have a family of 4, 12 devices (6x iCloud), 3 years @ 21mb+ fastpath, then 3-4mb of your download and 1/3 of your upload disappears on Day 2, it makes a big significant difference, I'm sorry if I've come across as a bit harsh, but I'm not going to pay for a service that simply just ain't up to scratch, we can hypothesize for weeks on end, and I do appreciate all of your input be it even negative, but PN are in no rush to do anything, because in their eyes nothing is wrong, as I'm still getting the estimated speed, I'm not buying myself out of two hundred quid contract for the fun of it, I've been with left with no choice but to do this because I don't want my families online experience to suffer, and blimey I am mad, because that money could have been better off spent elsewhere believe you me, I'm always pessimistic, and I honestly feel that if I had of stayed here, my connection wouldn't get any better, in fact my prediction on current data would be a further decline with even more degradation, I'm sorry to say, but I am not used to paying for this quality of service, I can appreciate that some of you have been happy loyal PN customers for many years, but on the flip side, surely you can understand that this is not the broadband service that our homestead had previously become accustomed to.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

You make a lot of valid points above, and I am not even saying moving away is the wrong thing to do. But when you argued that the reason for your issues were down to Plusnet almost sabotaging your line, that was simply not the case.
If you don't accept that DLM was trying to stabilise your line, then fair enough, you ought to stick with an LLU provider on a fixed profile for the long haul. Whatever underlying issue is de-stabilising your line, I hope it doesn't get worse, as there may come a point when even on a fixed profile you have issues. At that point the problem will have to be solved.
stalkstalk
Grafter

It was a promising start.
Day 1:
Sync Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current204031276

Attainable Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current214581288

SNR (db)DownUp
Current6.16.1

Attenuation (db)DownUp
Current19.011.2

Interleaver Depth (d)DownUp
Current961

Delay (msec)DownUp
Current61

Well with 2 Days remaining to disconnection Interleaving is now finally off.
Day 18:
Sync Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current143351275

Current203081288

SNR (db)DownUp
Current15.66.7

Attenuation (db)DownUp
Current19.011.2

Current11

Delay (msec)DownUp
Current00

But now my downstream SNR is off the hook again...
Quote from: StalkStalk
6-6db, turn off Interleaving, how hard can it really be?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Congratulations, a banded speed. In a way, Plusnet are correct to not want to muck about with DLM settings and profiles, when there is an issue with your line or sockets and wiring which should be fixed instead.
stalkstalk
Grafter

We shall see in a few days time, it will be an interesting comparison, needless to say that I'm already predicting a vast improvement.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, of course your prediction will be correct, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have got a decent speed and stability on Plusnet, if you'd got the problem sorted out.
stalkstalk
Grafter

After approximately 10 days on the new LLU provision.
LLU:
Sync Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current225141020

Current227121232

SNR (db)DownUp
Current3.16.1

Attenuation (db)DownUp
Current19.011.1

Current11

Delay (msec)DownUp
Current00

From PN's meager 14335 to the LLU on 22514, as you can well imagine the 8mb difference is leaps and bounds apart, A very expensive lesson learnt, I'll bid you good day, and I rest my case.
Au Revoir Plusnet...
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for sharing, speed`s a big improvement, like a avatar off a shovel.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I can only assume the OP never really did grasp the reason why he/she was having difficulties. As has been mentioned previously, I suspect there will come a time when that sub-optimal line will get worse (or die completely). I wonder who the OP will blame when that happens.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I notice they didn't post the error stats. I wonder how much of a drop in actual throughput they are getting because of retries?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: StalkStalk
Why isn't PN using SRA? BRAS is definitely inferior.

That one is simple, Plusnet provide broadband using the BT Wholesale platform, in common with many ISPs, they do not have their own exchange equipment and are 'tied' to the systems provided by their 'supplier'.  Your question should, perhaps, be 'Why isn't BT Wholesale using SRA?'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Mod:note
Op has left so won't be back and as such thread is closed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'