cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 6 Days Of Plusnet Pain

stalkstalk
Grafter

Re: My 6 Days Of Plusnet Pain

21-22mb was the TalkTalk ballpark figure, my ping was much lower before as well, a lot of this is down to the Interleaving, why I'm Interleaving at less than a mile from a main city centre exchange is mind boggling, line Attenuation below 20db is categorised as outstanding, and I'm at 19db, this ain't no 50db+ line into the historic wilderness, just ran a ADSL BER test at my end, unsurprising it came back as clean as a whistle.

Portal > Data > Transfer Speed - Says that my estimated line speed is 2mb, very useful...total madness.
I can clearly see that it's being restricted, because the downstream attainable rate on the line is a lot higher (22284) than the actual given sync rate, that's one of hell of a margin?, that's a difference of 2393, surely that can't be right?, now I'm no broadband expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it look's as if the line is still pretty much capable of dishing out the same speed as the TalkTalk connection did beforehand?
Sync Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current198911276

Attainable Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current222841288

SNR (db)DownUp
Current6.16.0

Attenuation (db)DownUp
Current19.011.2

Interleaver Depth (d)DownUp
Current961

Delay (msec)DownUp
Current61

Again I'm no CTI Fire Spark, but I think if you change the Red number (Interleaving off), it will significantly help on the orange ones...ermm..?
stalkstalk
Grafter

Just auto resyned.
Sync Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current183831275

Current202721282

SNR (db)DownUp
Current9.16.0

Attenuation (db)DownUp
Current19.011.2

Current964

Delay (msec)DownUp
Current66

Around in circles...lol, the game continues.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: pwatson
No - ADSL2+ has a max speed of 24Mps.  It is sold as 'up to 17Mbps'

Thanks for the clarification. So is a different standard applied to FTTC where they sell it as 'up to 38 Mbps' and 'up to 76 Mbps' since these seem to be the maximum speeds for the product?
x47c
Grafter

Assuming you are next to the telephone exchange or close enough that your line length is not the limiting factor:
ADSL2 has a maximum theoretical SYNC speed of 24000Kbps.
Overheads on the BT system take the IP setting down to 88.3% of the sync achieved so the max theoretical BT IP setting will be 21192.
I guess Plusnet will round this down to 21.1Mbps as their data transfer setting.
This will be the max achievable
So you might expect to achieve this as a real download on Sunday mornings at 6am from a site that could actually provide the data at that rate.
Now; not myself having FTTC - I'm sort of guessing/remembering the figures for FTTC...
Assuming now that your house is next to the cabinet
The max possible FTTC sync speed is 80Mbps
I think the IP setting is something like 94% of the sync which indeed does give the max possible achievable download at 75Mbps

as to the OP....
I think the line has a fault on it - hence the wild gyrations as the fault comes and goes and the DLM tries to compensate for the varying line conditions it finds.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I am wondering if it was actually any use of the phone that was affecting the broadband, if it seemed to get worse each time Plusnet was phoned. Also if there are any other telephone sockets, what kind of master socket, test socket etc. The TalkTalk LLU equipment might have been set on a fixed profile, and so would have disregarded any problems caused by extension wiring, but now it's on BTWholesale equipment with the Dynamic Line Management.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I am no expert but I agree with the previous post and think that when you were on LLU, there was a fixed profile and no DLM, so you had a certain level of stability there. Now that you are away from LLU, DLM has a part to play, and it is acting to try and stabilise the line.
I suspect DLM is seeing high numbers of errors on the line, and reacting accordingly. The thing is, these errors were likely on the line before, but since you were on a fixed profile, it just chugged along, errors and all.
I think something isn't right somewhere for DLM to act so much, so that is worthy of investigating. Your issues were simply being masked before, and maybe that was fine for you, in which case, you should stick with an LLU provider.
If you are staying with any kind of BTW type product, then you should try and figure out what is causing the line problems. Raising a fault is a good start, although I do understand if you have simply had enough and are cancelling.
These issues are not PlusNet doing anything to your line, but simply BTOR systems reacting to line conditions.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Precisely that jafreer. The OP clearly had not appreciated the effects of the automatic exchange DLM on the broadband connection when some sort of line fault or interference is causing a problem and so dived head-long into blaming Plusnet for "sabotaging" the connection Roll_eyes
What is a slight mystery is why the probability of some sort of intermittent line problem is not mentioned in the list in reply #2.
The clue as to why the user's previous connection on TT did not display similar issues eventually came in reply #9
Quote from: StalkStalk
Previous ISP was TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+, was set on a static 24FSNR6 profile aka (24mb/Fastpath/6db).......

Also, the OP seems to think that living in a city centre means that lines never have faults or go faulty -
....... I know that from previous experience that my line is sweet even @ 3db SNR, I live in the city centre, not some farm yard barn.

Oh dear!
And as ejs has pointed out, it could be an internal issue that is causing the problem, because there has been no information or analysis of this.
One thing is clear, whilst a fixed profile could mask the underlying problem, if it's some sort of intermittent line issue that's not addressed then there's a good chance that at some point in the future it will fail completely, but hey-ho, it's always the ISP's fault. Whilst the OP continues with this hot-headed approach it'll probably not get addressed.
Also I'm guessing that as the service was previously with TT, then line rental will probably have been moved to Plusnet with the BB, so if the service has been cancelled (on day 6) rather than "migrated" (not a sensible approach as mentioned by aesmith) then there'll be no chance for Plusnet to initiate a line fault investigation, the line will be cancelled with the consequential loss of BB, phone service and phone number Shocked
IF however, the service didn't get cancelled in the end, and the OP cares to post back with a more reasonable approach, then maybe forum members may be able to assist in getting the problem resolved.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't believe Plusnet were making changes maliciously, I think that's beyond fantasy.    And until the health of the line and the OP's internal wiring is know, DLM seems the most likely explanation.  Especially now we know that his TT profile was set to maintain speed irrespective of line health. 
I've personally had two harmful changes made to my account, but I think one (removing Interleaving) was a system glitch, and the other was just a misguided action by the agent.  Both were corrected, after differing amounts of effort on my part to get the message across.  Wasn't it Napoleon who said "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's undoubtedly DLM action for the likely reasons mentioned. Looking at some of the data posted, Plusnet must have also tried an SNR Reset (something that can only be done every 10 days) but that has resulted in a fruitless outcome as the line problem is still present.
stalkstalk
Grafter

No major CRC's or HEC's errors ect at my end, I noticed that it hadn't previously Bit Swapped since Day 1, but now today (Day 12) it has?
Why isn't PN using SRA? BRAS is definitely inferior.
Well I'm connecting back to a LLU on the 3rd of Feb, seeing as PN can't provide anywhere near the same service, I wouldn't want to put my family through 18 months of this tosh, basically as you can see in this thread my PN BB provision can range anywhere from 6-20mb, and btw with reference to the above, we haven't made a single call from the landline yet, as 0800 is free from my mobile, so it's £216.70 (insert gasp here) for less than a month with PN, I've never previously fealt the need to buy myself out of any contract, hell I'm not leaving because I'm wealthy (far from it)...it's simply because this provider cannot provide, and the support team is full of liars...simples.

Connection as it currently stands.
Sync Rate (kbps)DownUp
Current183831276

Current203041280

SNR (db)DownUp
Current9.16.3

Attenuation (db)DownUp
Current19.011.2

Current961

Delay (msec)DownUp
Current61

Again I'm no CTI Fire Spark, but I think if you change the Red number (Interleaving off), it will significantly help on the orange ones...ermm..?

They seem to be very efficient at telling me that I have cancelled my Direct Debit, and that I should add a Payment Card...lol they can whistle dixie for it, I shall pay it as slowly as possible, bring on that third party debt recovery agency that you have already threatened me with.
Pmsl, most of my PN support tickets end with this following statement.
stalkstalk
Grafter

Nope...major Plusnet fail, my line activation was a day late, which left my family without broadband for over 14+ hours, smooth migration? not on your nelly matey.

That will be the refund for my service being activated a day late then, you can't even manage your own diary schedule, so what chance do customers have of receiving a decent connection and/or service?

'Oh take me back to the start'

3-6? Waited for 4 hours like I was told to, turned the off router for 30 mins like I was told, turned it back on to find out that nothing had changed whatsoever, phoned them back up, told by a different PN staff member that those settings weren't even possible, and my only options were to like and lump it, or to cancel my contract.

Ahh, that you will be the settings that you never even changed, and then lied to me about making then would it?

Oh really..?

Apparently calling someone Incompetent is abusive, I would call it factual considering the circumstances, trolololol...
6-6db, turn off Interleaving, how hard can it really be?
* We'll do you proud *

Unsurprisingly 90 percent of the waffle that they spilled out to me over the telephone isn't actually mentioned in the support tickets, which is a real shame, as I really wanted to expose some more of the PN support team fibs.
stalkstalk
Grafter

So I'm on a public forum with thousands of threads, but I've got my own, well what's the point in having a public community forum then? If other people's threads are not meant to be posted in? Then what's the point in having the forum?, surely a personal support ticket would keep other people's opinions out, btw I've turned off PM's for a reason, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you would respect that fact, so please don't abuse your moderator privileges by sending me unwanted PM's, thank you.
Ahh lol, the Orwellian censorship has started now then has it? Welcome to 1984, the thought police are on patrol, Mylar at the ready...
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) I have removed the PM you quoted as posting it is against forum rules http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132333.0.html#post_posting
stalkstalk
Grafter

You are funny, first you send me a PM that I didn't even want (I deactivated them on Day 1), then you delete your own PM from my thread that you told me to post in, making much work for yourself?
Well...that was pretty pointless? I'm laughing so hard, this is A class gold mod material, absolutely priceless, you've made my day, can we do that again please? Pmsl.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You really do have an attitude problem - I had my doubts when I just saw your user name before I read any of your posts. Everything of yours I've read since has confirmed my suspicions.
I really don't see any constructive point in you continuing to post railing against Plusnet when the principle issue at stake is how BT's systems work and will be common to all non-LLU ISPs. The way you are going I can see you taking an extended break from posting on these forums - and it won't be a break of your choosing. Abusing the moderators (who are not Plusnet employees but fellow users who volunteer to act as moderators for no personal gain whatsoever) is a sure fire way to make sure that happens.
There are many users on here that would have given you constructive advice on achieving the best speed with a stable line that is possible given the BT system limitations if you had let them.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: spoon
You really do have an attitude problem ...

No doubt this post will be removed, but I was going to say much earlier that the OP sounded as if he was as his avatar depicts (and no, I don't think it looks like a Walnut Whip).