cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish Closing 15th December 2015

Steve76
Dabbler

Re: Madasafish Closing 15th December 2015

Well I got the email yesterday saying that the migration had been completed.
My old globalnet email account is still accessible on JustMail and after putting the plusnet login details into my trusty router I'm connected to the internet.
All seems to have gone OK and ahead of schedule.  Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Steve76
My old globalnet email account is still accessible on JustMail and after putting the plusnet login details into my trusty router I'm connected to the internet.

Do you know whether there was an overlap period when both sets of credentials worked?
Steve76
Dabbler

Do you know whether there was an overlap period when both sets of credentials worked?

Well I know that this morning the router wouldn't connect using the old credentials, I had to put the new plusnet ones in to be able to connect to the internet.
I don't know when the old ones stopped working, I wasn't around to check the connection until this morning.
KevinG
Rising Star

The reason I asked is because my father-in-law's migration is due on 8 October, but after it has happened I won't be able to connect to his computer to update his router login details, unless there is a short period of parallel running. Given that it is unlikely there will be, I think I will have to update them the day before and hope for the best when the day arrives. I very much doubt I could talk him through doing it.
icklesal
Dabbler

I actually asked about this only this morning on webchat.
I'm due to migrate from MAAF / PN 15th October, but asked if I could still continue to use my old router using the new details. I was told yes. However, for peace of mind, and in case, for whatever reason, the older one failed me, I did order the new router (which arrived promptly the weekend - even though in theory the old one has always shown up as Plusnet already being the main provider.  Huh
Anyway, between us, we agreed it was advisable to set up the new router system the day before (14th October) where possible, as after the migration date it is likely the old login details won't work, (perhaps understandably) because I will cease to be a MAAF's customer.
After that, if I don't have my BB working, my only hope of making any contact online with the outside world will be on 3G iphone, via Twitter! I hope they can sort out problems with more than 140 characters!  Roll_eyes
So far though, in PN's favour I do have to say they have been very helpful. Let's hope it lasts Smiley
bounty
Dabbler

Phoned customer options department today and was on the phone for about one and a half hours, most of the time listening to music. I was past around from one department to another as there was a problem with my Madasafish account. I was told I already had plusnet broadband.It turned out that a new Plusnet customer had their phone number put on my account by mistake.
They was going to change me over to Plusnet today, I told them I would think about it.
The cost would be:
Plusnet Unlimited broadband service: £14.99 per month (No contract option)
Activation fee of £50:00 ( Refunded back into account once account active)
Router: £6.99 P&P
Total to pay today £71.98
If I want to keep my original email address £1.69 per month  (with web space and domain?)
Total Per Month would be £16.68. That's more than i'm paying now.
I didn't ask to be changed over to Plusnet.

jontysoper
Grafter

Hi,
For me, tomorrow should be my migration day although I use the term 'migration' loosely.  No-one from PN has contacted me about my service going live tomorrow - I found this out when trawling through all my service tickets.  And I'm beginning to feel fidgety and somewhat frustrated already what with the lack of updates and conflicting experiences here in this forum thread.  And, I haven't even started yet and am owed a refund on my account because the wrong telephone service (call plan) was assigned, which has to occur on a future date after a future date.  Clumsy and messy.
What is meant to be a migration does seemingly feel more like a 'new customer' setup, with the bulk of the fuel from replies in this thread.  When I called up originally I was told I could have everything migrated over - so that's what I'm expecting to happen.  Irrespective of cost elements, I'm expecting domain, web-space, broadband and telephone to all be ported over.  These were all mentioned and I was given assurances.  If anything is missing (including the contents of my mailboxes) I will not be happy.
Lastly, I've already given thought of highlighting this exercise to Ofcom and the communications ombudsman to get their opinion on how this exercise is being handled.  PN has owned MAAF for 8 years and I'm already using and being billed for their infrastructure, but PN wants to move me over but rather than do it quietly and transparently I have to act as a new customer and keep my focus on developments so that I don't lose my existing services.  And it's been necessary to sign up for an 18 month contract even though I signed up in 2000/2001 before PN even came along.  Hmmm!
Wish others a smooth migration.
Jonty.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

On behalf of another I rang the migration number, explained what was required and said I thought that we would need Plusnet Business Broadband account. I was sold instead Plusnet Broadband (domestic) with an assurance that the web space and domain would be retained.
Migration should have happened on Monday but owing to an ISP administrative error didn't.
Seeing this post
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
UPDATE: With regards to webspace we no longer have any residential offerings for this, however we do with our <a href="https://www.plus.net/business/broadband/?gclid=CjwKEAjwyemvBRDFpN3E5_bs9BQSJAA5n8L2wmnBK0Pd82SZMF-Vi_pxZNdz-I8DImFYQuIDalmtixoCJYDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds">business products</a> so you'd need to choose one of those or seek a 3rd party web host.
I took the opportunity to confirm what I had been told. I rang the migration number today which could not tell me what had gone wrong with the migration but repeated the assurances about the retained web space. When I challenged this information I was referred to Customer Services which reaffirmed what Adam had said. The planned migration has been cancelled and we are starting again from scratch with a migration to Plusnet Business Broadband.
As a result of the above confusion the existing MAAF broadband service has stopped working. The Business Support Team thinks that it has identified what happened and expects the service to be working again in the morning. Let's hope it is right!
A feedback thread on Plusnet forums should not be the place to seek information. What is needed is FAQs on the MAAF website and a migration team which can ask customers the right questions about what is required and knows the right answers to any additional questions the customer might have. Given the shambles migrating from one Plusnet brand to another customers could be forgiven for thinking that migration to another ISP is worth seriously considering.
bounty
Dabbler

You can still sign up for Madasafish JustMail with 100MB of webspace for £20.28 per year.
Link: http://www.madasafish.com/just-mail
KevinG
Rising Star

My father-in-law was migrated one day early and I have successfully talked him through updating the router connection details to Plusnet and, to my mild surprise, everything works!
jontysoper
Grafter

Hi,
I'm just sharing an update and findings here.  Although it may seem like a rant I'm just wishing to share the latest.
From a PN service ticket I'd seen that my migration was meant to be today, although I'd received an email on 1st October telling me my ADSL was ready to be used.  For the last week I've still been using my MAAF ADSL details quite happily.  Although everything was still working as normal (web, domain, email addresses, ADSL) I thought I'd punch my new PN ADSL log-in into my router.  After a period of nothing I got a working ADSL service with very similar up/download values as before.  So seemingly I had two ADSL services running in tandem but no point in going backwards to MAAF (or at least one would hope).  So it seems the web-space, domain and mailboxes element is still work in progress as they're still all very happily active as before.  Perhaps PN will let me know when things will 'migrate' or at least my account me updated to reflect these migrations..?!
But then I thought I'd check out my MAAF account and any service tickets - just to see what info had been logged.  It's here I've had more fuel added to my migration fire (if you'd seen my previous post) because there are elements which really backup the unnecessary need for all this work in 'migrating' from one part of PN to another.  Having called PN on 23rd Oct to get the ball rolling I had a MAAF service ticket logged on 1st Oct (without my knowledge) that said my migration was complete.  Really..?  And what part of this migration would that be..?  And before there's a MAAF ticket logged 23rd Sep thanking me for staying with and moving to PN.  Staying or moving..?  Which, both..?  And other tickets showing me my bandwidth usage reset following an account change.  All this quite clearly demonstrates that PN had no need to run this exercise and get existing customers to spend time and effort (and perhaps money!) in moving from one brand to another when the infrastructure was the same.
Regardless of easy or painful migration I will be taking this up with Ofcom and the communications ombudsman to seek their opinion.
Jonty.
bounty
Dabbler

You are right Madasafish broadband customers was moved over to Plusnet broadband service a long time ago. All they have to do is change over our Madasafish account and router login to plusnet account. They are signing us up like we are new customers.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
All the letters are going out over the next couple of days Mike.

I have just spoke to a MAAF customer they have received no letter , not impressed  Angry , as any other MAAF customer had their letter  ?
If i send a PM can some one please check the customers account ?.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: bounty
You can still sign up for Madasafish JustMail with 100MB of webspace for £20.28 per year.
Link: http://www.madasafish.com/just-mail

Thanks. However, given that MAAF is closing down why would anyone assume that the above was a solution?  If it was, why wasn't it offered as an option?
Far too late MAAF has mentioned the above as an option but in doing so created more questions than answers.
bounty
Dabbler

Someone on thinkbroadband forum has a Madasafish JustMail account and was told his JustMail account will be unaffected by Madasafish closure on 15th December. He also received an email as confirmation.
Link: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freenetname/4434759-madasafish-rip.html?fpart=2#Post4435024]