Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving - Its been real

peterb99
Grafter

Leaving - Its been real

Hi,
I've just cancelled my contract with Plusnet after 9 months.  Seen as there is a feedback forum thought I'd leave mine :
The Good
========
Great forum, every problem I've had has been resolved on here.  I've had call backs from people off the forum checking that things have been fixed etc. This is really good and after subscribing to ISP's for nearly 20 years its the best customer services I've ever had.
I thought I had to pay for a new line install so paid upfront.  I got a phone call to ask why I wanted a new line when PN could re-activate the existing one and refund my money - really appreciated this. Would have been easy for PN to stay schtum and let me get a new line - thanks.
I signed up through topcashback and it didn't track - one post to the forum and it was sorted very quickly and I got the cashback.
I've had a very steady connection with very few dropouts and I've been happy with that.
The unlimited package I upgraded to has been excellent - I don't think I've ever been traffic managed (apart from genuine QOS type traffic management). Whenever I've download things I've got the full line speed at all times and not had to worry about downloading stuff out of hours etc.
The Bad
=======
I left Virgin as I was attracted by the high upload speeds available on FTTC.  I signed up on the basis that I would get 54meg download and 15meg upload with a +/- 1meg error margin.    I didn't ever get that and actually got about 34meg download and a woeful 5mb upload.
I chose Plusnet as they could install a phone line and fibre on the same day (this is the *sole* reason I didn't go with talktalk as they advised that I had to order the line, wait while its installed and then request fibre).  I chose the installation date etc.  to have the phone line activated and fttc installed on the same day.  I later found out that this couldn't happen and they'd have to be installed seperately and the date I'd chosen wasn't available at all.  Felt a bit misled by this, though wasn't too bad as I'd made sure that the Virgin service overlapped so I wasn't without internet.
When I first signed up I heard nothing so chased on the phone to make sure everything was ok.  I was told that it wasn't possible to install FTTC to my house. I knew this was not true as I knew where my cabinet was, that it was fibre enabled and that there was plenty of space for new installs.  I spent about 45 minutes on the phone and just got no-where so I had to cancel really frustrated.      I posted on the forum to say how unhappy I was, I was asked if I would give them a chance and not cancel and they'd try their best to resolve it.  WIthin a couple of days they'd got the problem fixed (BT database issue) and it could be installed  --  really happy with this, excellent service and I decided I'd never call again just use the forum.

Overall
======
I think Plusnet are great. I'm mostly happy with this very forum, I hate having to phone service providers for anything - to me it is just a waste of time and seems to takes ages to get past all the security etc. and then to get my point across.      I love the fact I can just post a message on here in a couple of minutes, leave it and know I will get a response quickly and the response will be of high quality.  I also appreciate that you can discuss billing issues on the forum as well - not seen that from any other provider.
The only reason I am leaving is the cost and speed.  I haven't needed a phone line for ages and have decided to go VOIP with Virgin.  It will work out nearly halve the cost of PN with discounts and new customer offers.
If/when FTTP is available at my house (its in York but not my area at the moment) I will be back to Plusnet in a shot. I highly recommend Plusnet to everyone I know who can't get cable and I get asked a lot due to my line of work.    I've never had anyone moan at me for signing up and to be fair the less technical people have always said to me how great they think the telephone support is - really patient, understanding and helpful.
Anyway enough of the prattle,
3 REPLIES 3
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Leaving - Its been real

Hi there,
Sorry to see that you're leaving, you seemed to have covered the points you've raised and happy to hear that you were generally happy with our service.
If you've any specific questions then us know,  otherwise good luck with your new provider and we may see you in the future.

ruaim

Quote from: peterb99

If/when FTTP is available at my house

"If" is the true statement here.  Currently PlusNet don't offer FTTP (except on a trial)  hence my leaving. Getting on this trial is like pulling teeth.  I waited 4 months to get connected and 36 emails later, I gave up and have signed up with another provider.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi ruaim,
Just letting you know that I've replied to your post here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118011.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team