Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is itn possible to have a joined up conversation with Tech support

Homesite

Is itn possible to have a joined up conversation with Tech support

Ticket 31002807
I have no complaints regarding the speed of response from Tech support  but:
I currently have a ticket open regarding a query with my line speed (caused by me switching off the modem). Unfortunately, even though Tech Support are responding I cannot get them to answer my specific questions. All they do is repeat what they have already stated regarding testing for faults. I'm fully aware of what they are saying but want them to clear up the questions I have before I proceed.
It is very difficult to have a "joined up" conversation with them as it has been a different member of Tech support who has responded each time.
Is it possible to carry on this query with just one member of the team only?
5 REPLIES 5
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Is itn possible to have a joined up conversation with Tech support

welcome to the Forum
It is difficult as they work shifts and the phone system queues means you could get anybody, It is possible that a person can be assigned to a difficult problem, and the Coms people Chris, Mand or Mattt can arrange that, they inhabit the forum
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We have the written ticket there so any agent can read through what's happened and respond accordingly. From reading your ticket, I can see that we're going to have to go and do some explaining - I'm sure pierre can explain about Mand's 'educator' ;). In all seriousness though I'll have a word with the agents concerned, and I'm very sorry the responses were that unclear.
The latest response has it spot on (at least it looks like it to me, please let me know if that's not the case) - basically, if the equipment in your local telephone exchange detects a number of drops in your connection, it will lower your connection speed as a slower connection is much more stable. The drops are usually caused by noise or interference on the phone line, so if you've noticed any of that when making a call that could well be the cause.
The best thing for you to do would be to visit http://faults.plus.net - that will take you through all the tests we need in order to investigate the fault with BT for you. It doesn't matter that you don't see the disconnections on your router.
Hope that helps, please let me know if there's anything further I can do to help with this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Homesite,
If you need any help there's a number of users here with plenty of experience in helping to sort out problems. Post a description of your issues and we'll see what we can advise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Homesite

Thanks Matt
The responses show the reason for my post. These are very helpful and are obviously the correct path to follow to resolve line connection problems.
BUT!
I have not reported a fault of this nature and from my point of view I do not appear to have the problems outlined and therefore cannot answer the questions. My original query, plus follow ups, seems to have disappeared off the ticket and have never been answered. Tech Support’s comments are related to a complaint about the line dropping – which I hadn’t made!
I can understand that there may be problems with the line, but unless I can see them on my PC as I'm not aware of them I cannot answer the questions. My request for fault dates and information regarding my modem has been overlooked.
Background:
My line speed dropped after the modem was turned off for a few minutes. It stayed at this lower speed. Speed tests also indicated this.
A ticket was raised after a number of days to query this.
I subsequently realised that the modem would only change its speed if the software was rebooted. (Again a Speed Test showed the same thing). This is alien to me as my previous modem kept track of what the line was doing, without any input from me.
I pointed this out to Tech Support. No comment received.
Meanwhile the Tech Support response was to ask questions as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For us to be able to further investigate your connection problems please answer these questions:
1. Do you lose your connection only at certain times of the day, or is it all the time? If only at certain times, please say when.
2. How long has the problem been happening and when did it start?
3. What are you doing at the time of the fault (e.g. downloading large files). Does your connection drop when idle?
4. When you lose your connection is sync lost on the modem/router (i.e. does the ADSL link light start flashing or does it remain solid green?)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
None of these points are applicable to my original questions and as far as I can see I have none of these symptoms. I can’t answer them so am stuck in Limbo!

And:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The slow speeds you are experiencing are a result of your connection not being stable, ie you connection is dropping. It is not a speed issue but an intermittent connection issue and we need to treat it as such to resolve the problem…
Once the connection has been stable for 72 hours your speed will increase.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This may be so but rebooting the modem software makes the modem speed change up or down, either way! Length of time doesn’t seem to enter into it. It is now back to where it was.

As I stated in one reply, if there is a hidden fault I obviously need to get it sorted but to do so we all have to be looking at the problem the same way!
So – Why isn’t there someone who has an overview and looks at ALL of the correspondence and is able to work towards a common understanding of the problem? Without this I will have to spend time, and possibly money, trying new filters etc. (I am willing to do this if necessary).
As things are, valuable Tech Support time is being used going over the same points.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think you need a basic explanation of how the sync speed determined when your router connects.
I suggest you have a read of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
Because the Signal to Noise ratio varies constantly and each time you connect it will always connect with the target SNRM it is inevitable that your router will sync at a different speed every time. The only exception to this is if you a re so close to the exchange that you always sync at the maximum speed with margin to spare.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)