cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BT To Plusnet Usually A Rough Journey?

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Is BT To Plusnet Usually A Rough Journey?

I did everything right AFAIK including not requesting to move until the end of my BT contract, requesting a MAC code from BT (took a couple of calls to get one) and passing it onto Plusnet. BTOR (I assume) cut my BT broadband off 1st thing on Plusnet activation day and I called and got Plusnet broadband activated later in the day and was advised my phoneline would also transfer to Plusnet seamlessly in due course but it would appear BT know nothing about this, are still showing me as having active services and infact pointed out a list of extra charges I could be looking at for the move, once everything is sorted out, including a £30 broadband disconnection fee as apparently I didn't request and use a MAC code? and also a bill for another month's BT line rental and broadband to cover 30 days after Plusnet take over my services?
9 REPLIES 9
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Is BT To Plusnet Usually A Rough Journey?

Hi,
We've just checked the order we placed for you and we definitely used your MAC code.  You need to get back on the phone to BT and dispute that change.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Which charge are you referring to Kelly? The broadband disconnection charge or the 30 days extra charge for BT line rental and broadband services to follow when Plusnet take over each of my services where in effect, during which time, I'll be paying Plusnet and BT for line rental and broadband when only receiving the services from Plusnet? - Is this normal when someone moves providers? Maybe I'm missing something?
Also why would BT be unaware that I am moving providers? They said they have received no details from Plusnet.
:-?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We've seen the order placed in the BTW system with the mac code so they shouldn't have disconnected you and should know its there.  Dispute the disconnection charge based on that.
With the phone rental charges, you should pay us line rental from the point we've taken over the line.  There shouldn't be an overlap in charges from us until we've taken the phone line.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Ok. I'll have a go disputing the broadband disconnection charge highlighting that the MAC code is on the BTW order.
Ref BT saying that I have to pay them for another 30 days service in essence they are saying that eg if Plusnet take over my broadband on 26th Nov on 26th Nov I enter into 30 days notice with BT where I am still a paying BT customer with BT service and so during those 30 days I will be a paying BT and Plusnet broadband customer but only receiving service from Plusnet. They said the same will apply from the day my line rental is switched too. Does that sound right to you?
gnicholson8
Grafter

That sounds a bit hinky to me... I've never had overlapping charges before when using a MAC to transfer.
jim:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

A MAC code is purely to allow the service to be transferred over without interruption and doesn't constitute a change to any contractual obligations you might have (such as the 30 days notice in this case) with the losing ISP. 
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

It is correct that you will pay two different suppliers for a time after  the changeover date.
For broadband the argument goes that when a MAC is given it doesn't actually mean that someone is leaving -the losing ISP doesn't really know that their service is being terminated until the MAC is actually used - their notice period "clock" is then started and (assuming that the customer is out of any minimum term obligation) a bill will be raised for 7,14 or 31 days dependent on losing ISP.
The same applies for the phone, when any rental /calls plan charges will be subject to a minimum notice period after the phone supply is changed.
At least by using a MAC you don't get stuck with a cease charge as well!!
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Right, I didn't know this, if I had that may have influenced my decision on whether to move or not. Maybe that should be made clearer somehow.
Quote from: davidj60
It is correct that you will pay two different suppliers for a time after  the changeover date.

I think my problem here is BT don't recognise I've used a MAC code to move so nothing's happened as far as they are concerned and when I brought it to their attention they passed on that I may have to pay a broadband cease charge for changing providers without a MAC code. I need to give them another call today to see if they have access to the BTW order to verify that a MAC has been used.
Quote from: davidj60
the losing ISP doesn't really know that their service is being terminated until the MAC is actually used - their notice period "clock" is then started and (assuming that the customer is out of any minimum term obligation) a bill will be raised for 7,14 or 31 days dependent on losing ISP.
James
Grafter

BT won't recognise it on the broadband side until the order actually completes.
It's different to a phone order where they receive notification as soon as the order is placed.