cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would have appreciated a warning of approaching download limit

mikegood280

Would have appreciated a warning of approaching download limit

I've just had an email telling me that I've exceeded my 10GB download limit and that you're charging me £5 for an extra 5GBs.  I have no problem with this (even though I have only just squeaked over the limit on the very last day of the billing period and I presume the balance of my £5 will not be carried forward to the next billing period); however, I would really have appreciated an earlier email warning me that I was approaching my download limit.  Other providers I have been with have done this, and I would have thought that a company so good at customer service in other respects as PlusNet would do the same.
17 REPLIES 17
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Would have appreciated a warning of approaching download limit

PN do send an email @ ~80% (I think!)- are you sure it didn't get diverted to spam folder?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It should have been sent to the email address shown on this page: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=view_details&s=0
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I upgraded to 'Unlimited', I used to receive two "You're approaching your usage allowance" emails at 80% of monthly allowance.
One email would arrive at the address specified in the link 'Jelv' suggested above,
and the other email went to "postmaster@myusername.uk"
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It doesn't seem that you were sent the usage warning this time, not to sure why so I'll look into this.
I've reset your usage this month so you'll not be charged the additional £5, your usage will again reset tomorrow as it's your billing date.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: purleigh
and the other email went to "postmaster@myusername.uk"

Don't you mean postmaster@myusername.plus.com?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooops, I got it slightly wrong above, after double checking my mailbox naming it turns out that probably more than ten years ago, I set up "postmaster@myusername..uk" as an alias for my catch-all mailbox, which is obviously "myusername@myusername..uk"
So to restate what I should have said previously -
I get one notification email to my accounts catch-all mailbox, and another to the address as shown in the link in 'Jelv's reply.
Sorry if that caused any confusion !.  Embarrassed

However to answer 'Jelv's question -
No I didn't mean "@myusername.plus.com",  because my username and connection settings are from a time before Plusnet existed.
Roll_eyes
mikegood280

Thanks all for your helpful replies - and thank you PlusNet for removing the charge.  I had already checked in the spam folder and the warning email wasn't in there.  Just a once-off glitch it seems - these things happen, despite the well-known fact that computers never make mistooks!
Highbury

Mike, as a matter of interest did you ever check your usage?  This functiion seems to have completely broken down for the last couple of months.  It had crossed my mind that it could be enormously helpful for PN's accounts if users found themselves being charged an extra £5 a month for going over their limit.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 70

It should be possible to prevent this charge by setting the amount you want to spend when the limit is reached. I believe it will reduce your down speed rather than applying the charge.
Look in Manage my usage.
Dan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Quote from: Chris
It doesn't seem that you were sent the usage warning this time, not to sure why so I'll look into this.

Chris,
Is anyone at PN profiling this issue?  In the past I have not received the 80% threshold warning and earlier this week one of my referrals advised me that they had the same experience.  Are the threshold warnings and exceeded emails identically addressed?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All usage warning emails should be generating as normal, if there's anyone that believes this is not the case then let me know and I can collate these and investigate further.
henderson2

I did not get the warning email that I was approaching my limit in either my plusnet webmail account or my account that all plusnet webmail is forwarded to.  The first notice I received was on 4/11/2013 that stated I'd exceeded my limit and that 5GB had been added costing £5.  Not in spam either.
Peyton
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peyton,
I've checked and can see that you haven't received it, I see you've got a ticket raised with us so I've replied to that.
henderson2

Thanks so much Chris.  I truly appreciate your promptness in not only answering my questions, but making the requested changes also.  Trying to reach Support via phone is abysmal at the present.  Hopefully that will improve soon.  Your promptness and courtesy are how I've always known Plusnet to be.  Kudos to you!