cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you're not happy read this

bluesage

If you're not happy read this

I raised a ticket on the 16th of Feb. That's right, more than a fortnight ago. I'm sure that they're filtering out iTunes traffic but they seem to have done nothing other than ask me to use Wireshark which doesn't work on uptodate Macs. You'd think they'd know that.
It could be a good service if it only had adequate support. At the moment I've given them a time limit after which I shall say that their product is not of "Merchantable Quality" and let them sue me for the balance of my contract term. I think I'd win and I think the precedent is one they'd be wise to avoid. I've had an independent expert check my system. That's not cheap -  do you think they'll pay his bill?? But if we go to court it'll be part of my counter claim.
Has anyone else seen users give up and disappear. How did plusnet react? Surely they can't afford to be bleeding users?
I think I just wish they'd say 'sorry' and 'we can't fix it economically - we'll waive your notice period'
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: If you're not happy read this

your notice period is only 10 days, you might have to pay for deferred cost items that you had at sign up i.e. router
zubel
Community Veteran

Filtering out?  Do you mean blocking completely, or simply throttling?
The latest version of Wireshark does work under Snow Leopard, however it might need a couple of tweaks
B.
bluesage

Hey Guys - thanks for your replies.
Barry - I don't know if they're blocking or throttling. If I try to download anything (music, iPhone app, my account details) iTunes times out after half an hour or so and says they can't complete. My iPhone suffers the same as my iMacs but works fine on other networks. I've switched routers. Other peoples macs don't work on my network. I've tried turning of every firewall in sight.
Pierre -I thought they hit me with an 18 month contract when I kept running out of download capacity and went unlimited?

So far it seems that the only person working on this is me, and now some support from you guys, for which I'm grateful.
bluesage

P.S. Oh and my problem with wireshark is in getting it to recognise ports to capture. This is a documented bug and the work around involves Unix like tweeks to files I've never heard of located in places I've never seen, Guess I'm too chicken to try so I've ended up borrowing back an old iMac running Leopard not Snow leopard.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all contracts except business changed a few months ago, the contract is now one month but the notice is ten days
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
What times of day are you seeing these slowdows? The different download speeds for the different types of traffic on your account can be found here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/unlimited-experience.shtml iTunes comes from Akamai IIRC so is classified as a download server.
Having said that, they shouldn't time out but just slow down depending on the time of day.
I can see we've got 2 wireshark captures on the ticket so we'll take a look and make sure nothing is amiss.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluesage

It seems to happen any time, day or night. I can't tell if it's blocked or throttled. Iphone apps are, by definition not very large but the time out takes up to half an hour so my guess is it's blocked, is there an easy way of telling?
Thanks
Roger
Mark
Grafter

It's certainly not blocked by intention or design and as Chris has alluded, you may see the download speeds slow during busy periods but they should not simply stop or time out.
Chris has stated that he or one of the support team will take a look at the wireshark captures and from there we'll hopefully see whats happening.
I'm sorry your having these issues but we'll work with you to resolve this.
Mark
bluesage

My connection went down last thing last night and I did another reset the router and went to bed. This happens one or two times a day but last night  the service did not come back. Left it to this morning and low and behold everything is now fine and the iPhone is in a monster update . Would love to know who did what and why it wasn't done 3 weeks ago.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can't see that any changes were made on our side either to your account or profile. Let us know if you start to have problems again but it's good to hear that it's working again for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.