cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love PN Automated emails!

StuartUK35
Grafter

I love PN Automated emails!

Sorry PN, but I gotta post this, as is made me laugh when I just read it!
Your system emailed me at 6am (so guessing an auto mailer), with info on my current internet connection.....
Account username: CustomersLoveComedyEmails
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 7.5Mbps
Current line speed: 80Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:
Now this is the part where I laughed!  I'm not to far from the Cab, and about 1 mile from the exchange...
My Cab was installed before the Enigma machine was invented, so 1945 maybe ?!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Grin
That means in modern day terms, it means my ADSL connection 20cn, also known as SlowNet, MakeACuppaNet, etc etc.  Or for the older folks here, I have basically a 56k US Robotics modem ! Cheesy
So the above email made me laugh, as my slow ADSL gives me a max 4.5mb Down speed, and a max 0.38mb up speed, with an average latency MS of 50 to anywhere....
So much for those LaughAminute quotes from Ofcom that ISP's must be close to providing the actual download speed you will get, etc....
Most ISP's quote 6mb for my line, but whats a 1.5mb out hey ????
But according to PN, you estimated I would get 7.5mb, to which you actually give me 4.5mb..
And you currently think I get 80mb ?  hahahahahahahahah !!!!!! I cant even get the estimate, let alone an 80mb speed!!!!! Cheesy
Oh well, made me laugh this morning!  Any other new customers had funny mails like that ?
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: I love PN Automated emails!

Yes, sending emails out that mislead and misinform does seem a bit daft.
Are you actually on FTTC now?  Have Plusnet changed their profile (Current line speed) in anticipation of a switch?  Certainly looks confused.
For many who have recently switched to FTTC the' Estimated line speed' bit does seem to (often?/usually?) default to ADSL speeds (totally unsure why yours would be so 'optomistic' though) and the 'Current line speed' is the profile set on Plusnet's side which starts off totally open on all FTTC provisions (40Mbps or 80Mbps depending on product), this will should change to match (slightly below) the BT IP profile once a 'delta report' is received from BT systems, this often only updates if your FTTC modem has resynced and you have disconnected and reconnected your PPP session (disconnect/reconnect at the router then wait for the delta report to feed through to Plusnet's systems).
If, as I assume, you have not yet switched to FTTC then this may have been wrongly triggered by the attempts to get you a Fibre service, hope you do soon get a service approaching the 80Mbps indicated in your email.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

So it looks like you're account has been changed to Fibre with the profile on our side set to the highest level. Along with that, you've been sent an estimate for your ADSL (based on information from the same source as http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome) .
I am positive I, or a colleague has raised this issue with the estimates.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
StuartUK35
Grafter

Tony,
The post was a funny post, in a feedback fashion..
Not asking for any action to take place, nor am I raising an issue with it!
If all goes to plan, I will be on fibre next week...
I just found the email funny, take with a pinch of salt! Cheesy
I think my account is one of the unusual ones, as everytime I call, even since early March, CS team think were on FTTC !  Possibly due to notes coming from the failed order for Tele+FTTC back in Feb....
So my account is messed up should I say, and once the first set of hurdles are complete, am sure the hurdles to do with Billing will rise up real soon ! Cheesy Cheesy
Using the BTW site, it states I am on a 4.5mb profile and has done since we got connected, and reconnected (plums at BTOR pulled our cable in the exch!) ......
Regardless of Fibre, doubtful my Profile would be set to FTTC settings as my potential install date for fibre isn't until 7th May, and my profile has been set to 4.5mb since start, yet my account when dealing with CS team thought it was Fibre before we even had the teleline connected!!!
Anyway, back on topic, I just found the automated email funny to do with estimated speeds, actual and what I really get! Cheesy