cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback From Fibre Upgrade

baldrick
Grafter

Feedback From Fibre Upgrade

Today I was upgraded to fibre so thought I would feed back my experience.
To be honest, having read of the many issues people are having I was expecting problems. The morning started potentially badly with me receiving an email saying that the change was now complete. As I was receiving the message through my old ADSL link half a day before OR were due to do the work I feared the worst was starting to happen. I rang customer support and was informed that there was a 15 minute wait. Even before a could start composing a potentially offensive message on this forum (only a few minutes to be honest) I got through to a PN agent. She explained that I had received an automatic message that simply came out on the swap over day. She then went on to check that the booking was still confirmed for this afternoon. Sure enough after lunch the line went dead and around 1 Hr later an OR contractor turned up.
He could not have been more helpful. Having installed the OR modem he went to the trouble of setting up my Asus N55U router for me.
Whilst my download sync rate is 80Mbps I am currently managing 23Mbps. Hopefully this will improve.
I guess that a summary of my feedback at the moment is: Whilst some people are undoubtedly having problems things can go well. However PN should consider whether sending automatic emails before work is done is wise. If as seems to happen, OR had missed the appointment it would have given a message that PN are not behaving in a professional and competent manner.. Or put another way, shooting themselves in the foot!
10 REPLIES 10
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Feedback From Fibre Upgrade

Thanks for the feedback. It goes to show that most installs go absolutely fine, but people in general only hear about the negatives stories.
Your speed should be around 40Mbit now, so I'm a little surprised that the throughput is so low. We may need to look at that in more detail later (make sure you're using wired connections when testing).
I take your point, but we do it this way so that we can ensure the account is ready for when the engineer arrives. In theory it saves contacts from customers still being on DSL speeds, or even not able to connect after the engineer has visited.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
baldrick
Grafter

It all seemed to start so well...
My download speed has not improved. It seems to fluctuate between around 7 and 23Mbps. I thought that it would not be appropriate to complain until I fitted the PN router in place of my Asus unit. I had trouble getting it working so rang in and was talked through manual set up. The problem was that the auto configuration bit wasn't working. The person I talked to was very helpful and tried to address the speed issue for me. I ended up setting a PPPOe session on a laptop connected to the OR modem via a CAT5e cable, so removing all routers from the loop. With this direct connection the BT Wholesale speed tester shows my typical download speed to be around 7.5Mbps and the upload around 15Mbps. I then swapped the session over to logging into speedtest@speedtest_domain and got 66.25Mbps down and 3.16Mbps up.
Has any-one got any idea what is going on? Also if PN staff come along can they please check to see if this has been logged as a fault and is being addressed.
Thanks.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

This has been raised as a fault and I'm overseeing it from afar. Your sync rates are actually fine so it'll definitely require a little further investigation.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
baldrick
Grafter

Thanks Matty, I feel happier knowing tou are on the case.
baldrick
Grafter

Following on from a similar posting I have just asked Chris P for assistance. He fixed my issue in 5 minutes. I would say to any-one getting hot under the collar about PN's performance to persist on this forum. There are PN staff who are both knowledgeable and helpful out there doing a grand job.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

How very very strange! Everything was set correctly on our side, all I did was set something wrong and then move it to the right value again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Well, that belies the saying -'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Smiley
I have to agree with baldrick, I have found the forums the best route to solving issues. The Plusnet staff and many of the members are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To be fair, sometimes when all "appears" to be correctly configured, it takes extra experience to consider that something hidden is wrong and the route to fix is to change the settings from right to wrong and back to right.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

baldrick
Grafter

I totally agree with Townman. But.... There appears to be a systematic error in PN's system management software. This begs the questions:
How many others have this problem.
Will the PN fault team be made aware of this possible 'Fix'.
Will PN correct the possible fault
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Will the PN fault team be made aware of this possible 'Fix'.

I'm trying to get a few examples of this happening so I can get it opened as a problem (and not just a one-off) to get the underlying cause fixed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.