cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faults team

Steevo
Grafter

Re: Faults team

Yes indeed, thank you!! 24 hours can make a difference....3 can almost make the same amount however! 🙂
I'm very grateful for your help. Fingers crossed for a speedy and successful conclusion.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No problem at all.
So that we're able to get the engineer to visit your Local Exchange, I think it;s probably a good idea to have the engineer visit your property, that way testing can be done to ensure the work carried out on the Splitter Card has been successful.
Could you advise when you'd be available for an engineers visit?
Steevo
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your message and for following this up. If it was possible to book the appointment in for a weekend, I would be very grateful indeed and should be able to fit around any day/time to suit. If not please let me know and I shall try and find a morning/afternoon in the week that would suit.
thanks!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
In answer to your ticket response, an engineer has been tasked to visit your Local Exchange without the need to visit your property. As soon as the engineer reports back to us, we'll pop you an update on your Fault Ticket.
Steevo
Grafter

Not a problem, thank you Chris. I shall have my fingers and toes crossed 🙂
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Me too! Smiley
Steevo
Grafter

Thank you once again all for your help.
The lift and shift was carried out today at around 12:30pm. Broadband seems to be running well so far however:
1. I appear to have lost my phone line. Handset shows up "line in use", listening for a dialtone there is nothing, and when you call the phone it just rings and rings as if there is no telephone attached.
2. Upstream SNRM still seems to dip when incoming calls are received
On the positive side, I wonder whether a line reset has been effective as:
1. Max DSL rate appears to have dropped to 3112 which seems a more realistic figure.
2. Speed tests are also showing a noteable increase in speed.
3. Interleaving is now running at 16 rather then 8 previously.
4. Loop loss has decreased from 67.5 to 64.
5. BTW ADSL tester shows IP profile to now be 2.18.
All seems positive. I guess it's just a case of waiting for the PN tests in a few days to see line stability.
Oh, and I'd quite like my landline back too please! 🙂
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Steevo,
So some progress, but also some issues.
Has the BTOR engineer advised that they've finished?  If not there is some possibility they still need to tidy up.
If they have finished the loss of the phone service is disconcerting.  There could be a disconnection on one side of the pair (broadband can still work with one leg disconnected).  I'm intrigued by the observation that the SNRM dips on an inbound call, if the phone is not working... do I correctly conclude that when you try to phone your line, though the phone does not ring, you see a dip on RouterStats?
@CRT
Setting aside that the phone don't work, the point of this activity was to address inbound calls impacting the ADSL service.  I thought the focus was to be the line splitter card?  The user has referred to a lift n shift, something which I though applied post splitter card impacting only the ADSL side connectivity - am I mistaken?  If a change to a different (as opposed to replacement) splitter card is required, would that have required a TPM?
I do hope I'm wrong, but I fear Steevo might still have a way to go to the edge of this wood?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steevo
Grafter

I hate to say it Townman but I think you might be right about it being a long way to the edge of the wood. My speed has just dropped back again to 1700! It would appear that the SNR has jumped back from 64 up to 68. This happened shortly after my last post, the SNRM downstream dropped and dropped until it hit zero, disconnected, and when it reconnected all had changed. It also looks to be doing the same right now once more...! (see attachments)
To answer your questions:
I had a call from the BTOR engineer to say that they had carried it out. He asked if the router was in sync, which is was so said that should be it all done and over.
Yes, the loss of phone service is rather troubling I'll admit.
You are correct about the phone service. Both before and after the work done today, no matter whether the phone was plugged in or not the SNRM showed a dip on each occasion. The BTOR engineer visited the property today as apparently BTW would not let him L&S without testing here first. He seemed to think the line was ok, however did say he found about 3000 errors on the downstream and that he would visit the exchange, test again and if they still showed he would be able to carry out the L&S. I also made a point of calling the line with the BTOR engineer here and his JDSU connected and he reported no errors on the upstream which is somewhat strange.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Steevo,
There is a lot going on here.
I've not used DSLstats - never seemed to be able to make it work - must give it another go.
What is the sample interval?  The SNRM plot does not hit zero at 13:31 which given that there was resynch is what I would have expected.  Please remind me which router you have.  One has to conclude that the sample interval is large and the zero duration was less than the sample interval or DSLStats plots the last known value if there is no response from the router.  Note RouterStats plots zero if there is no response.
The fall off of DS SNRM just approaching 13:31 is classic REIN from a switched mode power supply.  Note the continued decay after the resynch - back at the target SNRM but at a lower synch speed.  What got turned on (or taken out of stand by) around 13:00?
Will take another look at this later.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steevo
Grafter

Thanks Kevin.
Sample interval is set at 30s. As you can see from the DSL uptime though the resync happened on the mark there somewhere. The router is a TP Link W8960N. I think you're right with the "last known value" bit because when the BTOR engineer came out to test he unplugged the router and DSL stats didn't change. (see 11am onwards on attached screenshot). On the positive side though it appears to have re-stablised now around the 8.2 mark thankfully.
As far as I know nothing changed at around 13:00.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Looking more closely 13:15?

Steevo
Grafter

The upstream spike at 13:15 was caused by a test call I made to see if the problem still existed. Could this be it?
Having had no phone now for a couple of hours I've just phoned Plusnet CS, they tested the line and it would seem there is a problem in the exchange. Can't say I'm too impressed with BTOR's abilities when they were supposed to fix the ADSL, have likely not fixed it and potentially forgot the plug the phone back in.  Undecided
Fault Type:NDT
Test Results:Test Result: Fail - Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF)
Description: FAULT - Wiring fault between EvoTAM and legacy linecard.
Fault Ref:TR0000003932824
Estimated Resolution Time:06/10/14 23:59:59
Steevo
Grafter

The line also seems to be all over the place. My DSL connection reset 13 mins ago (possibly when I called PN from the mobile and they tested the landline), speed is now down to 1714 from 1767 an hour or so ago, and downstream SNRM has jumped from 8.2 to 9.3. Likely caused by the SNR dropping from 68 to 67. Oh, and interleaving is now back to 8 again from the 16 mark.
Lips_are_sealed
EDIT: upstream SNRM seems a lot more erratic now than before the engineer visit too. Is this because I'm in a training period?
Having just tried to call the line again the upstream SNRM dropped again, despite having no land line. It certainly seems that something in the exchange is amiss on both the ADSL and voice connections.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Steevo,
Whilst your phone line is basically goosed, there is little point trying to analyse what is happening with the stats, however some of the observations are interesting.
First some basics - the higher the SNRM the better.  This is a measure of signal over noise margin.  The higher the margin, the stronger is the signal over the noise.  Conversely (unless it is a very good line like mine) a really low SNRM can be very bad, leading to disconnections.
I am glad that you can attribute the 13:15 - 13:31 DS SNRM decay to a phone call made at 13:15.  It seems none too different to this issue - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125789.msg1105050.html#msg1105050 (it is a long read so I've pointed to the critical observation along the journey).
It would be interesting to know what happens with the phone plugged in and then see what happens if you pick up the handset.  Then call the phone, note the SNRM changes.  Hang up, watch the DS SNRM to see if it decays the same as per 13:15 and before it hits 2dB pick up the hand set / phone the number again and see if the SNRM shifts.
As I said the line is bust, BTOR should have checked the voice side as well.  There might be more than one fault - whilst there is a disconnect within the exchange the line cannot be fully tested.  That SNRM decay I think is symptomatic of a bad joint.

@CRT,
Given that the current situation is the consequence of a borked fault repair, is there an escalation route for getting BTOR back on the case sooner than the 6th?
Kevin