cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excellent install - happy customer so far.

REMOVED_ACCOUNT
Dabbler

Excellent install - happy customer so far.

Only fair to share a positive install experience:
1) The engineer rang me at 10:30 not between 1-6 as offered, to see if he could come early. I said he could Smiley
2) The phone line and fibre Installs both went like a dream - the engineer was a pleasant experienced and helpful BT guy who knew what he was doing
3) My speeds have gone up from the poor ones I was getting from SKYto around 60 Mb/s
So far, I'm getting very consistent stats from speed testers, compared to the wild variations a Sky Fibre connection was giving me.

BT Speed tester = 60.65

BBC iPlayer Speed test = 58.550

15 REPLIES 15
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Excellent install - happy customer so far.

Hi PonsAlias,
Great news, always nice to see a smooth install Smiley
If you've got any questions for us please give us a shout.
Chris
REMOVED_ACCOUNT
Dabbler

HI,
I had to unplug my router yesterday to move it, and my speeds have dropped from 60 to 51.
Have I caused this, and will I have affected my DLM?
Thanks
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Are you connecting wirelessly?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Check your BT line profile here: BT speedtest http://speedtest.btwholesale.com - ignore the preamble and just tick Yes - then select diagnostic after it completes (Stolen/Borrowed from a post by Oldjim - thanks).
The BT profile + about 3% is the FTTC sync speed so that will give you an idea whether DLM has kicked you.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
REMOVED_ACCOUNT
Dabbler

Hi,
I am connected with a wire.
The output of that BT test is as follows:

• Download speed achieved during the test was - 50.84 Mbps

• For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-61.07 Mbps .

• IP Profile for your line is - 61.07 Mbps

I was getting around 60 yesterday - but I can't tell from this whether it's DLM or not?

w23
Pro

I'm on a slightly lower sync (based on BT's IP Profile) than you, just did a test with the following result (just to give you a comparison).

• Download speedachieved during the test was - 55.44 Mbps
  • For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-56.23 Mbps
  • IP Profile for your line is - 56.23 Mbps

My sync. is 58.1 Mbit/s
[Edit - Additional info]
My Plusnet 'Current Line Speed' https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is 78Mb
MY 'Current Gateway' http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway is pcl-ag04
You should be OK to disconnect and reconnect the router on FTTC without affecting DLM, this only monitors the modem sync.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

REMOVED_ACCOUNT
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
What is the current  speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

It's 78MB, Oldjim.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In which case I have no idea why the speed has dropped
REMOVED_ACCOUNT
Dabbler

Is this something I should ask Plusnet to look at? Or is it a case of waiting for the ten days?
(It's only day two, and I'm not UNhappy - but if I was getting 60 obviously I'd like to go back to that if possible.)
jim:quote
w23
Pro

Quote from: w23

MY 'Current Gateway' http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway is pcl-ag04
You should be OK to disconnect and reconnect the router on FTTC without affecting DLM, this only monitors the modem sync.

You could try a disconnect / reconnect via the router interface to get on a different gateway, you may be on one that's a little congested.
Call me 'w23'
REMOVED_ACCOUNT
Dabbler

I just checked via Plusnet again, and my current line speed has dropped to 53mb.
I've put in a ticket, just in case.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi,
Your line speed has dropped due to the sync rate dropping, I would firstly suggest disconnecting your connection, if you login to your router and click disconnect and power your router and modem off for a few minutes. Then power the modem on and wait for the DSL light to become stable and then login into your router and click connect.
See if your speed has then improved.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

As a matter of interest, how much difference does it make to your broadband experience whether or not you're getting 60 mb or 53 mb? I'm getting 43-45 mb & that seems fine to me.