cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of an era

Word_Warrior
Grafter

End of an era

Well that's it, an end of an era. I'm leaving Plusnet with a heavy heart. I've been with plusnet for a very long time, almost since the internet became popular with my free-online account and dial up modem.
So why? Well over the last few years, service seems to have deteriorated starting with the woeful and over priced PAYG hosting. Now the inferior You View based Plusnet TV. You'd think after trialling it for around 2 years PN would have come up with something equal to or better than their parent company BT but no, it is a fragmented version. BT Sport is okay but no app for it for people on the go. No WiFi hotspot network. Then they drop a bombshell, we have to pay extra for another channel we may not want, no choice except take it or leave it. I've been trying to reduce my BB/Phone/TV cost lately and weigh up the options available. The extra £5pcm for BT Sport was the straw that broke the camels back for me. So I'm off, ironically to BT Crazy
There are aspects of Plusnet that I shall miss. This forum, Customer support and the guys who sort out any issues we have. Plusnet BB and phone is excellent which makes moving all the more galling but it's a question of economics coupled with the apparent deterioration in the once famed service.
I won't exclude my return one day to PN but for now, Farewell.
Cry
6 REPLIES 6
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: End of an era

Can't blame you WordWarrior!
Word_Warrior
Grafter

It's about a month since I moved to BT Infinity and so far no regrets.
Pros?
One modem/router box not two (Hub5) very tidy and the lights give clear indications of mode instead of meaningless blinking lights.
Apps! BT Sport, My account and wifi hotspot info.
Free WiFi pretty much everywhere.
McAfee Net protect included.
Okay, it's still early days but pretty happy with everything so far.
Cons?
None so far.
If Plusnet get a more unified set up in the future and a TV system that is equal to or better than BT's then one day I'll return but at the moment it's a no brainer. Sorry PN but just dishing out some tough love.
I was more than happy with my PNBB & Phone it was purely a financial decision but now I've moved there is so much more with BT. Maybe BT are sitting on PN preventing them from competing. If it's true it's a real shame. If it's not true why aren't you as good or better?
PLan2015
Grafter

How are you finding the Home Hub 5? I had one to play with a while ago and found it would spontaneously reboot, even with the latest firmware at the time - so ditched it.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Seems fine apart from a day or so back when it wouldn't accept my password even though I had it correct. Just rebooted it and it's been fine ever since.
Just remembered a 'Con' Occasionally when opening my laptop it logs in to BT WiFi - Fon rather than my own SSID, more of a niggle than an annoyance.
Another Pro about BT WiFi is when out of range of a cell signal on my phone with a 3 account (Which is on the whole a good service, don't believe the bad publicity) I can use Three In Touch wifi phone to make calls (No EE, you weren't the first... 3's had it for ages)
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

one con for me would be no static IP available.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I had a static IP when with PN but really don't miss it but I appreciate that some need it. As I said, PN BB and phone were excellent, it was an economical decision for me but the added bonus was the apps, BT Sport online and in iOS. Losing the static IP was a small price to pay... for me.