cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing first impressions

sotciv
Dabbler

Disappointing first impressions

So I decided to make the switch from Sky, mainly due to their constant disconnects and awful customer service, I ordered the biggest Plusnet Fibre package on the 29th, for install on the 12th (today).
Well the engineer didn't arrive, and I realised I hadn't even received a router from Plusnet yet (which I paid £5.99 postage for). So I contacted the customer support and was told that there wasn't actually an engineer booked out for today, even though it clearly states on my account page that my installation date is today, and that's the date I chose when signing up. Nothing was said other than "we'll email or text you within 24 hours".
Waited 2 weeks for this appointment and wasted one of my days off work, as well as paid £30 for the install. Incredibly disappointed so far, especially after seeing all the reviews raving about Plusnet.
17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Disappointing first impressions

Something hasn't gone right here at all.
Leave it with me.
[EDIT]
Unfortunately it appears the orders were never placed hence why no engineers gone out. I'm replacing the orders for you now and these should complete by the 26th. Are you on fibre with Sky at the moment?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
happysnapper
Grafter

It's not a fault it's a feature.
Welcome to Plusnet.
sotciv
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
Something hasn't gone right here at all.
Leave it with me.
[EDIT]
Unfortunately it appears the orders were never placed hence why no engineers gone out. I'm replacing the orders for you now and these should complete by the 26th. Are you on fibre with Sky at the moment?

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated! Is there any possibility of having it installed before the 26th though? By the 26th this will have taken a month just to get switched over, and I don't want to have to pay another month of Sky's services due to the delay.
And no I'm not on Sky Fibre at the moment, just their standard broadband unlimited package. I've recently been able to get fibre in my area finally and opted not to upgrade to Sky's fibre and switch to Plusnet instead as I'd had a lot of issues with Sky.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Sotciv,
Welcome to the forums, sad to learn of your migration issues.
If I may, a couple of points for caution.
1. Do not give Sky an end date for your services with them - that could cause them to place a "cease order" on the line which will create difficulties for the migration process and could result in the loss of the phone number
2. You are undertaking a LLU to BT migration, they have been known to be problematic as it needs a number of steps to be coordinated by BT Openreach
3. If you have encountered difficulties with your existing service, there is the possibility that the issue is related to the copper line which feeds your property (you did not share details).  If this is the case, there is a risk that you will see similar problems after migration.  There is though a wealth of expertise here to help, in addition to the PlusNet staff

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sotciv
Dabbler

Before deciding to switch I was on the phone to Sky for quite some time and they did rigorous testing. They'd assured me that there wasn't a single issue with the line and didn't know where the drop outs were coming from, and sent me a fresh router/micro filter/cable etc, but the dropouts and speed dropping were still happening. That's the point where I decided I might as well just switch providers.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@sotciv
Unfortunately I can't get it done quicker then the 26th I'm afraid. It's a transfer so under Ofcom ruling we can't speed it up otherwise I'd have requested the first one available.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sotciv
Dabbler

No worries, thank you anyway I just got the text there so hopefully everything goes smoothly this time!
dick:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Matthew,
I thought of the 10 day embargo on take over when writing the previous post, but forgot to write it!  Embarrassed Huh

@Sotvciv,
Did the "drop outs" include a loss of synch or were they possibly wifi issues?
If Sky are correct, then you might have local interference issues - REIN / SHINE - on the line from some local electrical device.  That can be very hard to locate / identify.  If you want to understand what might contribute to that - read the thread below on the RS setting link - that was one of the worse "line dropping out" cases I've helped with around here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sotciv
Dabbler

Hi there  guys, sorry to bump this again but I just received a strange email from Plusnet today, and thought I'd mention it here just incase there has been another hiccup. It stated -
Dear Mr ******,
Account username: sotciv
We can confirm that your order for Home Phone has now been cancelled.
Should you wish to sign up for our Home Phone service in the future, you can do so through our website -
http://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html

Is this anything to be worried about? I haven't 'cancelled' anything or even gotten in contact with Plusnet since mentioned in this thread.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
I would suspect that there is some reordering happening. I have seen this too - PN's systems tell you about the cancelation step but zero about the substituted orders.  All very confusing.  Crazy

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Having a look now, will update this post shortly.

Thanks for speaking with me on the phone this morning. Really sorry that the order was cancelled but it's definitely resolved now  Smiley
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
sotciv
Dabbler

Well after a month the BT engineer finally came today and installed my fibre, all's well in that department, however when I originally ordered it, I had checked the option for the engineer to install a free extension kit of up to 30 meters. I asked the engineer about this when he was here, and he stated it wasn't on his job sheet so he couldn't do it. Is there anything you guys can do about this?
One other thing, when I signed up it stated I was guaranteed 74Mb  within the Mb, however atm I'm getting ~40 - 50. Is this normal since it's a fresh install, or is it a peak hour thing? I'm not complaining by any means as 50Mb is a far cry better than anything I've ever experienced, but still curious.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The profiles are all set correctly.
Was this ran over a wired connection or wireless?
With regards to the extension kit we'd have to look at getting a engineer out to install it if that's the case.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: sotciv
One other thing, when I signed up it stated I was guaranteed 74Mb  within the Mb, however atm I'm getting ~40 - 50.

Hi,
There are never any guarantees with speed - they are always estimates and they are provided from BTOR databases, based on what other users in your area are getting.  One of the issues with FTTC technology is that as more users take up the service, deficiencies in BTOR's d-side copper circuits give rise to something call cross talk, which will cause degradation in speeds.
Also note that speed estimates are SYNCH speed, where as a speed test reports effective data transfer rates which is not the same.
HTH.