cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband usage when no router connected!

Surfer
Grafter

Broadband usage when no router connected!

I can understand it showing slight usage when a router is connected by not being used and this should be below 1mb a day, but when there is no router connected and no telephone connected I expect it to be zero constantly.
However this is not the case with us and with no router or phone connected we are seeing usage up to 250mb a week which over a month equates to nearly 1GB.  We had no router or phone connected for a period of at least 3 weeks, but usage is shown.  As stated a few kb a day is perfectly acceptable, but not when it runs into megabytes.
Over the past weekend when we were out most of the day and watched TV at night on the Sunday it seems that nearly 2GB was used and again on the Monday 1.4GB was used.  Generally I only use about 150mb per day.
Obviously I am concerned that someone else could be hacking into my router which is a PlusNet one with the security settings.  Is there any way this can be checked?
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broadband usage when no router connected!

Have you owned a different router previously, and have now sold or passed the old device to someone else ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What type of connection are you on?
Surfer
Grafter

Previously router a Belkin which generated a code is destroyed.  Using a wireless Plusnet with security enabled.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, thanks. But Fibre, ADSL2+ or ADSL?
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was mine, I would change the Plusnet login password here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=change_password&s=0, and in your gateway's authentication settings.
You could change your wireless network encryption password to something different - just to be sure,  but someone using your wireless connection does not explain how the broadband connection is showing increased usage when the gateway is disconnected.
If the problem persists, then ask Plusnet to reset your account connection, as that will log out anyone else using your login credentials, but only you will get reconnected because you will have changed the password.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I've taken a look over your account and this should be resolved as far as I can tell? The issue was related to a mis-config on our side from your old router, when you received the new router and started using it then it overwrote the mis-config and fixed the issue. Sorry about that, but it should all be sorted now and as far as I can see you haven't been charged for any incorrect usage.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Surfer
Grafter

I am within my limits so no issue there, just wondering about megabytes of data being downloaded when no router or phone were connected as this still shows up in my history.  Also large downloads over the past Sunday and Monday?  Can the latter be explained and when the downloads took place, i.e. time?  
For another poster, being rural we are probably on ASDL only.
Adie:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris - what are you on about ? how can a misconfigured router that isn't connected to the telephone socket cause the recorded usage to increase ?
Surfer
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi there,
I've taken a look over your account and this should be resolved as far as I can tell? The issue was related to a mis-config on our side from your old router, when you received the new router and started using it then it overwrote the mis-config and fixed the issue. Sorry about that, but it should all be sorted now and as far as I can see you haven't been charged for any incorrect usage.

The PlusNet router was only connected up about a week ago?  Between about the 7th March and mid March the router was connected, but no usage as we could not access the home.  Between mid March and 11th April no phone or router connected to the phone line.  From 11th April until about 18th April a Belkin router was connected and used, but removed due to it dropping out constantly.  A Plusnet router was installed and it also suffered drop outs initially, but the issue seem to resolve itself.  At all times security has been in place.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: purleigh
@Chris - what are you on about ? how can a misconfigured router that isn't connected to the telephone socket cause the recorded usage to increase ?

It wasn't the router that was misconfigured, when it registered on our side that's where the issue took place.
It should all be sorted now surfer so you shouldn't see any erroneous usage appearing. Please let me know if you do.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Surfer
Grafter

Can you tell me why my usage was so high at almost 2GB for the past Sunday and Monday?
jim:quote
Anotherone
Champion

My modem/router has a Broadcom chipset. With no computers or wireless on, overnight usage (8hrs) is about 60kB, so a full 24hrs should be no more than 180kB !
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just checked the overnight usage of one of my referrals, who leaves their router switched on overnight but everything else is switched off,
Anotherone
Champion

Hmmm. That modem/router which ever it is, obviously talks too much  Grin Grin