Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speed test

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: BT speed test

Apologies for the lack of input from staff on his thread. This was mentioned in the private superuser board over the weekend and I responded over there, but admittedly I didn’t come back here.

I sent an email to one of my colleagues to find out where we’re at with the investigations with our suppliers on this one.

I’ll post back when I know more.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Gandalf i dont want to sound ungrateful but we have heard this before Sad while i do understand BT are extremely slow 

i would have thought this to be rather important to Plusnet that testing is correct

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Indeed @rongtw

This is my latest (I'm not on G.fast yet!)

Ye cannae change the laws of physics!Ye cannae change the laws of physics!

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

BT Speed Checker Fault?

After reading a few speed posts yesterday I decided to use the BT checker, being as a link was kindly posted in one of them.

I used it 3 times and all 3 resulted in a red bar showing 10Mbps.

So I used Speedtest.net that showed my correct 24Mbps, then Speedof.me that showed 25Mbps.

Back to BT - nope, still recording only 10Mbps !

All these tests were wired (Cat7) from PC to Router and CAT7 router to master socket.

Let's be careful out there !
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Re: BT Speed Checker Fault?

Yes @Kremmen it has been highlighted several times on here Angry it worse with firefox for some reason Undecided it has something to do with BT test uses Old Flash player  Angry

Staff here have told BT but nowt has changed , when you think that PN asks customers to use it for testing its even worse state of affairs

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I've had to move to using the Microsoft Edge browser just to get the BTW Speedtest to report correctly. Sad

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

And still no reply from Plusnet staff Sad

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Topics merged to keep things in one place.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@rongtw wrote:

Yes @Kremmen it has been highlighted several times on here Angry it worse with firefox for some reason Undecided it has something to do with BT test uses Old Flash player  Angry

Ron,

How about looking at this from a  different perspective...

• The speed test used to work with FF, Opera and Chrome etc.
  • The speed test has not changed
  • The speed test still works with Edge and IE and other explorers
  • FF (to name but one) has had a multitude of changes after which no end of stuff has stopped working through numerous changes ... including BTw speed test

Now tell us which bit has become broken - the changed browser or the unchanged BTw speed test?

I can see that it is fashionable, even satisfying to blame something we do not feel is modern and hip (much like some think twitface is the answer to everything because a minority of the population still young enough to know everything prefer it over what already exists and works) ... but when the changed bits fail with established technology ... tell me, which is broken ... the unchanged part or the hip part?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@Townman i understand what you say , especially as Mozilla say its a BT page problem .

But the way i see it is while i am aware that you need to use a different browser to get a correct test , there are plenty of other customers who are not , so it may cause Support here extra workload they don't need to do .

The simple answer is for support to state the BT tester dont work correctly with some browsers Thumbs_Up

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Ron,

I agree completely and of recent times I have seen agents (particularly @Gandalf) note that some browsers do not behave well with the speed tester.  Prompted by your sentiments ... I'll go update my 'boiler-plate' macro for asking users to perform speed tests.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I get spot on results with edge and negative results with chrome, i think chrome might be to blame on this one.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apologies for the really long delay in getting back to everyone here.

I’ve been advised that the best web browser to run a BTW speedtest on is Internet Explorer (Though Microsoft Edge seems to yield good results too).

At some point in the not too distant future, we should expect to see the speedtester use HTML5 instead of Flash Player which I hope should should resolve these problems.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet