Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic hardware setup and replacement routers

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Automatic hardware setup and replacement routers

This can be turned on and off through https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php
This may not give the user full control because for example if someone upgrades from ADSL to FTTC and gets a new router. Does their old router remain associated with their account or does the TR069 system hold only one router serial number for each account?
If multiple routers can be associated the page I linked really ought to list the serial numbers and allow people to remove those for routers they give away.
Showing the serial number associated with the account on that page wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. Otherwise someone given a router by another Plusnet user may think just turning it on would auto configure the new router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
27 REPLIES 27
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Automatic hardware setup and replacement routers

Moved to Feedback as it isn't ADSL specific and it is a very good question which needs answering
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Attempting to turn it off doesn't even work for me, it always just says:
Oops! That didn't work.
It looks like a system error has stopped us from updating your selection. Sorry about that!
Please come back later and give it another go.

Maybe because I'm not currently using my 582n?
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
There should only ever be one active router on the account, in terms of serial number and TR069. However, if you've disable automatic setup and then you get a new router, I'm pretty sure it will automatically default back to enabled. I've never actually tested this theory but I'm sure there's probably only a handful of people that would turn automatic setup off.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've two routers supplied by Plusnet so I'd be interested in the status of them on my account. I've PM'd you the serial numbers Luke.
Edit: I have automatic set up turned off because I'm on the IPv6 trial
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Luke has confirmed I have two routers recorded, both disabled (I am on the IPv6 trial).
I wonder what would happen if I enabled auto set up? How does it know which one I intend to use or will it enable both?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

But isn't there a separate account (login) associated with the IPv6 trial?
Some other trials may not have a separate login, what does happen in that case?
I'm one of those who would prefer auto config switched off but, like ejs, I can't disable it in the member centre (I'm also using my own router).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: w23
But isn't there a separate account (login) associated with the IPv6 trial?

Exactly. That's why I don't want it to automatically log in to my normal account if the router reboots.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've enabled auto set up temporarily and asked Luke to look to check the status of the two routers recorded for my account.
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
They are both now enabled!
I think you probably have a point. If it showed the serial numbers you could decide what to do with each. I think when the system was designed it was thought that you would be the only person using that router. I can raise this with products if you like?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It isn't a "if you like" it is essential given the number of customers either getting a replacement router of moving to fibre and then possibly giving their router away
Note that others do it differently
For example Talk Talk set it up according to the telephone line without looking at the router details
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Which ever method was chosen, it would require some effort by products. I certainly think it's a good idea if the serial number is shown in the account.
But whilst I'm thinking as I'm typing, I'm not so sure the TalkTalk method would be the best, in fact it could present a big problem.
There are different versions & models of (modem/)routers supplied by Plusnet in use out there. There's also some replacements that have been sent out when users have had faults. There was a recent case where a firmware update was needed but the router that was in use was not the expected one (based on serial number), so the update wasn't/couldn't be pushed until the correct on was on-line.
This needs a bit of thought.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: jelv
This can be turned on and off through https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php

Quote from: LukeS

There should only ever be one active router on the account, in terms of serial number and TR069. However, if you've disable automatic setup and then you get a new router, I'm pretty sure it will automatically default back to enabled. I've never actually tested this theory but I'm sure there's probably only a handful of people that would turn automatic setup off.

No 'Automatic Hardware Setup' icon is even showing on my 'Member Centre - Connection Settings' controls, and I'm happy for it to remain like that.
Possibly that's either because I've progressed over the years from an early 'legacy' account to my present 'Unlimited' (and thus retained all the old 'extras' such as inclusive VoIP, but perhaps avoided having the TR069 option added), or maybe it's down to the fact that I've never received a router from PlusNet (they didn't provide them when I joined, but I prefer to choose/use my own - now on my third DrayTek).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The present Plusnet system doesn't work when the user has two routers
This is why the staff on here have needed to ask for the serial number of the router
With Talk Talk I believe they check the router automatically but don't use the serial number to set up the user details which is what I was talking about
When I loaned a friend on Talk Talk a Plusnet branded D-Link router  it just worked and I believe that it upgraded something as when I got it back I had to do a hard reset to get access again to change the login details
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: RobPN
Possibly that's either because I've progressed over the years from an early 'legacy' account to my present 'Unlimited' (and thus retained all the old 'extras' such as inclusive VoIP, but perhaps avoided having the TR069 option added), or maybe it's down to the fact that I've never received a router from PlusNet (they didn't provide them when I joined, but I prefer to choose/use my own - now on my third DrayTek).

I think you are probably right that this is something that is enabled when Plusnet supply a router.
I'd like the TR069 status of the routers to be checked on an account which has been upgraded from ADSL to FTTC and the user has had two Plusnet routers (one for each).