cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheffield Shakes

Sheffield Shakes

Sheffield Shakes

Wow! Just as I was posting to the forums the house starts shaking!  Properly shaking.. with bottles rattling off the table.. Looks like the area has been hit with a bit of an earthquake.  The local forums are already abuzz with it.  Never felt anything like it.

0 Thanks
11 Comments
11 Comments
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Last about a minute in Sheffield, USGS are reporting a magnitube 4.7 with the eipcentre near Lincoln. Details here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php#details
prichardson1
Not applicable
Lights just out and head down to get some much needed rest, no sooners but my bed is rattling. Thought somebody was trying to force their way in the back door due to the buildings layout, but no, whilst listening for tell tale sighs I should dial 999, by god does the whole building rattle. My door opened despite its normal snug fit and object have fallen off my solid wood furnishings (no cheap stuff here). I have experienced several earth tremors in my life before, and this was by far the biggest. Veeeeeeery freaky.
brad1
Not applicable
Was just finishing watching a film when it felt like either the neighbours were jumping around or someone was in the house. When it went from side to side and shook the whole room I began to wonder exactly what was going on! First instinct was earthquake and then I saw everyone else in neighbourhood turn lights on and so knew it wasn't my mind! Very weird, I do not envy the Japanese or San Francisco folk who have major earthquakes!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
I've been in California and "experienced" a 3.2 I think it was. That was tame in comparison to this. That lasted a couple of seconds this was a lot longer and a lot more violent, the whole building shuck here.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Forum thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,61529.0/topicseen.html No problems that we can see on the network. Everything seems to be fine.
pberry1
Not applicable
Epicentre was apparently Market Rasen. Must be the most exciting thing to ever happen to that place. http://tinyurl.com/3cf252
clockley
Grafter
I was playing Pro Evo with my housemate who "hilariously" pretended like nothing had happened. In my tired state, I thought that I might be imagining it, and my girlfriend came downstairs to ask why we were making so much noise. Then I freaked out a little, overwhelmed by my first experience of an earthquake, and watched the sheffieldforums thread go from 3 pages to 28. Cripes.
liam1412
Grafter
Well I'm a little gutted I missed it. After 8 too many pints last night, not even an earthquake would have woken me. Oh well I'm sure it wasn't that exciting. Good to see only 1 reported injury so far as well.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
What really amazed me is how much quicker the Internet is at reacting to and gathering information on a news story like this. Maybe it's just because it happened at 1am but by about 1:10am the people I was speaking to had already found the eipcentre, estimated size and rough area that it had affected and it wasn't until 10 minutes later that the BBC NEws 24 presenter said they were getting reports of a quake and about another half hour before Sky News found the same information that had posted in forums and on IRC.
prichardson1
Not applicable
Indeed, far quicker and quite exciting when you think about that element of it. After the quake, the first thing I did was to send an SMS to somebody and fire up the laptop. Got on to IRC and swore at folk asking if they felt it too. The response was quite amusing showing just how slow I was in comparison, and I wasn't slow.
Be3G
Grafter
Indeed - I was actually quite surprised by the fact that people kept joining IRC specifically to ask about the earthquake; I imagined people just sending text messages or asking anyone else they lived with etc.. Having said that, being down in London the tremors weren't that strong, so it didn't seem too fuss-worthy until we realised (again, thanks to IRC) that people closer to the epicentre had experienced considerably stronger effects.