cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari… on Windows

Safari… on Windows

Safari… on Windows

When reading Planet Mozilla this evening I noticed that Apple had released a Beta of Safari 3... which now, also, runs on Windows. Hopefully, if it runs on Windows true to how it runs on a Mac, this will make the lives of web designers / developers easier, as they won't need to have a Mac to test Safari-specific JavaScript code etc. I've just installed it on this machine, and I have to say that I'm not that impressed with it. Perhaps it's just because I've only tried it on one Website, and I don't have Safari for the Mac to compare it to handy, but it seems to be doing a bad job of rendering at least the PlusNet Portal. I, will, however, give it a fuller test when I also have the Mac to hand to compare it too. Edit: Now I'm paying more attention, at least one of the sites Safari was having issues rendering does actually have some dodgy HTML, which Firefox's 'View Selection Source' feature was handily fixing for me... Maybe I was a bit too hasty to judge 🙂

0 Thanks
3 Comments
3 Comments
drunkenmonkey
Grafter
Also don't forget it you can't save any preferences as it doesn't have a save button, you can't use google toolbar, it has the most dullest GUI in the world, uses double the memory of firefox on first load and it does an awful job of rendering pages and already several security holes!
DTEG
Rising Star
I've heard a few people mentioning the preferences, and haven't had any problems myself. Changes simply appear to be reflected immediately, and all you need do is close the preferences window. Windows Safari's certainly bad, but not _that_ bad.
Word_Warrior
Grafter
I have to say I use Safari 3 on my laptop and home PC (both Mac) and find it much improved over v2. Some of my websites are run in the Joomla CMS and they render perfectly. One issue with v2 was the Joomla editor, some components wouldn't work. In version 3 all is remedied. I've not used Safari for windows so can't comment on it but the Mac version is excellent and as Internet Explorer is no longer available for the Mac, unless you still have v5.2 installed which is pants, then the choice is Safari, Firefox and Opera the latter being not to my liking. I used to use firefox to update the Joomla sites but now Safari is okay, I rarely use it. Star rating? 4