Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet reveals eight out of ten mums rely on the internet for parental advice

Plusnet reveals eight out of ten mums rely on the internet for parental advice

Plusnet reveals eight out of ten mums rely on the internet for parental advice

Hot on the heels of yesterday's pick of mum-friendly resources, Plusnet have been talking to mums up and down the country to ask how they spend their time online and how the internet can make be used to make their daily lives easier. For example, we found out that the majority of UK mums (82%) rely on the internet for parental advice while a massive 99% spend their daily 'me time' online. Read on to find out what else we discovered ... According to our survey*, two in five (41%) mums say they do their weekly shop online to save time, with almost the same amount again (40%) banking online to avoid long in-branch queues. A massive 99% of mums spend up to four hours of their own 'me time' online each day.

The new generation of mothers are an internet-savvy audience with more than half (51%) researching their children's homework online. Asking more than 3,300 mums, our study found that a quarter of mothers consider themselves as "networking mothers" who use online forums and other social media to get parenting advice. It is clear the internet has a big part to play in motherhood with well over a third of these networking mums (39%) finding it a vital resource when their child is ill and they need to look up symptoms.

It is not just parenting issues that these networking mums are clued up on, as half of those asked also liked the fact that while housebound with the kids, they can seek "adult conversation" from peers online through sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Speaking about the survey results, Plusnet ambassador and Dancing on Ice Star Jennifer Ellison said:

"It's great that mums can find a quick way to get advice online when it's needed. I personally really value being able to use the net to speak to my family when I'm away. Doing Dancing on Ice has made me realise how valuable something like video calls are - it's fantastic to be able to see your little boy as well as talk to him on the phone. I'm also a big fan of online shopping - the last thing I want to do after a hard day's training is go shopping - and I'd much rather spend any spare time with my family."

The study conducted by Plusnet among the netmums community, also asked about favourite 'mum moments' in film and TV. Mother's instincts struck a chord with this audience, with nearly a third (31%) voting for the most touching moment as that in the 2003 movie "Cheaper by the Dozen", when Kate Baker, (played by actress Bonnie Hunt), sacrifices her career to care for her children at home. Meanwhile, Rachel Green from sitcom 'Friends' was voted the most admired mum character with more than a third (35%) of the results. Jamie Ford, our CEO said:

"Through this study we can see how vital the internet is when you are a parent, in fact even us Dads are partial to turning to the net, especially for things like help with homework. With more and more people using the web for everyday needs Plusnet is committed to providing reliable and competitively priced broadband, perfect for family life."

Are you an intenet-savvy mum? What's you favourite 'mum-moment' in film and how long do you spend on the internet each week? Leave a comment below and let us know ... * Research carried out by netmums 15th February 2012-8th March 2012, with 3,360 respondents.  

0 Thanks
Seasoned Pro
"The new generation of mothers are an internet-savvy audience with more than half (51%) researching their children’s homework online..." You mean 51% are stupid. "children’s homework" the clue is in the title. So 51% of the children in this new generation learn nothing. I bet the other 49% are too busy coping chunks out of Wikipedia.
You can count my wife out, although she does use the internet, I would ot call her internet savy! My children (12 + 10)are more IT literate than her. We've had a media PC for 6 years, and of course the internet for even longer and you won't believe how many times I get summoned to sort something thats pretty simple, especially if she paid attention to what I said previously! Thankfully our two daughters are learning and often know how to resolve the simple everyday problem you get. The one that always throws my wife is when shes browsing and clicked a link which opens in a new tab, and she just can't work out why the back button doesn't work!