cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PlusNet a 'Mini'? What do you think?

My car's dead. It is an ex-car. As a result I've been scouring the auto websites a lot recently. I've been trying to make the best choice about which car to get, with stories of financial belt-tightening on every front page. One thing I won't be buying is an SUV - the market for these is down by between 20% or 40% - that's a heck of a lot! Along the way, I started thinking about how buying broadband compared to buying a car... Today I made a decision and bought a used Mini, and if I was to draw a similarity to a car for PlusNet then that would definitely be it! Here's why: - Many car purchasers (speaking from my personal experience) don't immediately think of a Mini, as they appear quirky or too small, but they're surprisingly spacious and can accommodate four adults comfortably. - Everyone who has one raves about them, with either 4- or 5-star ratings everywhere I look. - Mini is now owned by a bigger company (BMW). This hasn't made them break the Mini heritage and vision, but instead they have been developed and improved on for the modern world. - They do things differently to the mass market. - They're not for everone but don't pretend to be - they're about the fun of driving and confident that what they're doing is pulling in the right direction. - I found out that Minis aren't full of bells and whistles by default, but you add these - for a personalised mini experience. (They are reassuringly expensive which is different to PlusNet, but maybe the exception to prove the rule). What do you think? If you compare PlusNet to a car, is it a Mini or another car altogether? I'd love to hear from everyone - current PlusNet customers or community site readers. Phil Sheard, Emarketing manager @ PlusNet Twitter - www.twitter.com/philsheard (Edit: Mini's *aren't* full of bells of whistles by default, that was a typo. Cheers Martyn)

0 Thanks
12 Comments
12 Comments
Ghozer
Grafter
Regardless of what car I would equate to plusnet, I have always wanted a new Mini, a Mini S, in black, with white alloys to be exact Smiley
jmd1
Not applicable
Mine is a Yaris - very reliable, nice and easy to drive, economical so I would like the my Internet experiemce to be like that............. and most of time it is!
phil
Grafter
Great, thanks for joining in! jmd - the Yaris comments sound fair to me, and it's another car with a good reputation. I like the 'easy to drive' idea too - it takes hard work to make things easy. Ghozer - yes, me too Smiley the S is a different beast altogether
phil
Grafter
PS - I'm eager to hear a range of opinions so if you want to include positives and negatives then that's fine
Neil_A1
Not applicable
My wife has a Yaris and I love it. It's small but spacious, nippy yet economic and doesn't depreciate too quick. Tenuous link but I think it's a bit like BBYW Option 1.
Not applicable
[...] the post Is PlusNet a ‘Mini’? and I’d love to hear your comments too - whether you think I’m right or wrong Filed [...]
Melise1
Not applicable
Back to the point...As a proud mini softtop owner, I think the parallels drawn between PlusNet and Mini are spot on, Phil-bert. MMJ
James_H
Not applicable
Best advice you'll ever get when buying a car: Never buy a french car. I can say this with a clear conscience since I've had a Megane II for the last few years. Worst car I ever bought. Know lots of folks in similar positions. Anyway, to continue Phil's analogy, if PN is a Mini - small, well built etc, that must make CPW etc a Renault Megane II. Bigger, but sadly so cheaply put together that although the pricing looks appealing, the whole lot is a shoddy mess of ill fitting parts. I could go on, but it'd be more a rant about how rubbish my motor is rather than anything pertinant to the blog. ;) PS. Anyone wanna buy a Megane - great motor, well built, fabulous to drive - it could be *your* dream car. LOLs
puddy
Grafter
I have a Mitsubishi Outlander which is based on a new Mitsubishi EVO/Lancer It gives me 42mpg unlike my shogun sport which only gave me 23mpg and the outlander holds 52% value at 3years and its still a 4x4 Not sure what car PN is but it has to have been made in Japan for build quality
Joey1
Not applicable
A Mondeo Estate Diesel - cheap to buy, low running costs, reliable, carries 4 and the kitchen sink, uncomplicated and it just keeps going...........
Aterlatus
Grafter
Whatever the shell, I'm a big fan of my V6's. Got a 406 4-door atm. I like them kinda cars - they plod along quite happily (and not terribly un-economically) without a care in the world. However, when you really have to put your foot down you know it'll respond. Kinda like my plus experience - normally just the odd bit of browsing and SSH stuff but when there's something sizeable I gotta download I know it'll give me the full 8mb more often than not. I've always wanted a V8 though... roll on (or out, depending on how you look at it) ADSL2+!
Not applicable
[...] up to all sorts of stuff, including pondering an age-old question – if PlusNet was a car, what kind of car would it [...]