cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 issue with wifi (no other devices affected)

Morgan4875

Windows 10 issue with wifi (no other devices affected)

I have a plusnet one router. An issue arises with my using laptops and it affects all three of them(running Windows 10). When a device is connected by ethernet cable the device works fine, but then instantly the wifi on two of my other laptops immediately fails. My phone, alexa devices etc, everything else stays connected to the wifi, it is literally just the laptops connected to the wifi that then immediately fall over. I get the message "Connected, no internet" on my laptops.

I have set up a TPLink router in my end of garden room hard wired using cat6 cables and strangely i can connect to that wifi extender fine on all three of my laptops, but not to my plusnet router despite my router being a lot closer (I can rule out being too far away from the router being an issue).

When i take the ethernet cables out of the router my wifi connection to my three laptops all then work absolutely fine. 

I was wondering whether this is the IPv4 DNS server address settings in my laptop and i changed these to the 8/8/8/8 and 8/8/4/4 as it appeared from reading other threads on this message board that that fixed that issue but did nothing for me!

I don't think it is the router as i have been with plusnet previously so had a spare plusnet one router in my loft which i set up to reflect my current settings and works exactly the same as my 'newer' plusne one router so i think that can be ruled out.

So i am a bit confused as to whether the issue is a windows 10 problem or whether a setting in my router needs changing.

I do have an engineer visit planned next week but if i can get this resolved prior to that then that'd be fantastic.

Thank you in advance if anyone can kindly help!

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Windows 10 issue with wifi (no other devices affected)

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Morgan4875 If all other devices stay connected, and only your laptops suffer the issue, then it appears to be a W10 problem. Sorry I can't suggest what it can be - I don't use Windows machines - but maybe one the other Community members who do can help you.

John
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It might seem a silly question but when you swapped routers did you swap the power bricks too?

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

To get a few facts try opening a command prompt (CMD in the search box should produce a window called Command Prompt).

Then type ipconfig and return.

You will get a list of adaptors and for each an IPv4 Address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Try this on each PC when everything is on WiFi and then with an ethernet connection.

The differences should tel you what is going on.

I've a feeling that when on Ethernet, for some reason a PC acts as a DHCP server (perhaps some Internet sharing setting).

The "nuclear option" is to remove all network adaptors from that machine and let them reinstall but that might get you in more of a pickle so I would hold off doing that until some more evidence has been gathered.  

I am the satisfied customer....
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Actually, one other thought.

You say "I have set up a TPLink router in my end of garden room hard wired using cat6 cables".

Is that connected to the Hub One "LAN port to LAN port" or does it use a WAN port on the TPLink Router?

It should be in the WAN port on the TP link device otherwise you run the risk of two DHCP servers "fighting". Also in that setup the DHCP ranges need to be different (say 192.168.1.1 onwards on the Hub 1 and 192.168.2.1 onwards on the TP link).

If you can turn off DHCP on the TP link that would also work. 

I am the satisfied customer....
Morgan4875

Hi John and thank you for your response. These are two personal laptops and one work laptop and the settings are the default settings used and I haven't done anything to them on my laptops. I don't think this is an issue specific to windows because this would mean that everyone else out there when running a laptop using wifi and a separate laptop using an ethernet connection would experience the same problem. Your comments are appreciated though.

All the best,

Morgan

Morgan4875

Hi Rising Sun!

I hadn't to date but I have since tried different power sources to both plusnet routers but regrettably there is no impact on using a different power supply. In all instances the routers fire up exactly as intended and the issue only arises once i connect an ethernet cable. Your input is gratefully received and thank you very much.

Kindest regards,

Morgan 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Morgan4875 wrote:

Hi John and thank you for your response. These are two personal laptops and one work laptop and the settings are the default settings used and I haven't done anything to them on my laptops. I don't think this is an issue specific to windows because this would mean that everyone else out there when running a laptop using wifi and a separate laptop using an ethernet connection would experience the same problem. Your comments are appreciated though.

All the best,

Morgan

Exactly - so I wonder what is different in your location?

John