cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi keeps disconnecting while broadband is fine via ethernet?

gemdan
Hooked

Wifi keeps disconnecting while broadband is fine via ethernet?

The wifi side of my router has effectively stopped working. If I perform a reset then devices can then connect via wifi but this only works for a few minutes before the devices then disconnect again. The router is still connected to broadband though as I can connect fine via ethernet cable with internet still working as normal.

Once this happens I can't reconnect again via wifi from any of the devices. The only way I can get it working again is by doing a reset on the router. However, as stated, this then only fixes the problem for a few minutes before it breaks again.

I have tried updating the wifi driver, reinstalling the wifi adapter, etc on my laptop all to no avail. The problem doesn't seem to be the laptop as the problem also affects my 2 android phones as well. The fact that resetting the router temporarily resolves it suggests that its a problem with the router.

The version is: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 04/09/19

Please can you assist as having to operate via cable any longer is impractical?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Wifi keeps disconnecting while broadband is fine via ethernet?

Welcome to the forums, @gemdan . Your Hub is currently on a troublesome firmware release, for which an update is being released, so that may solve the issue.

A long shot question for you - what user name is reported at line 12 of your Hubs Help Desk?

John
gemdan
Hooked

Morning John,

Thanks for responding. Given that it is effectiviely broken, can the new release be pushed to my router as a priority?

Line 12 is: <myusername>@plusdsl.net

Presumably that's correct as broadband is connected ok? It is just the wifi side where the problem appears to be be...

Dan

jab1
Legend

I can't push it - like you I'm only a Community member , not staff, but the roll-out is being done in great lumps, so you will get it soon, hopefully.

As I said the 'username' query was just a long-shot, but it does sometimes revert to 'setup' which can cause problems.

John
gemdan
Hooked

Note: I noticed the event log while looking at the helpdesk settings. I can see there are various events of these types:

IN: BLOCK [12] Spoofing protection (IGMP <IP#1>-​>224.0.0.22 on ptm0)

OUT: BLOCK [7] ICMP replay (ICMP type 3 code 1 <IP#1>-​><IP#2> on ppp3)

Is this normal? Or perhaps related to the problem I have?

jab1
Legend

They are unrelated, just the Hub doing its job of protecting you from unauthorised intrusions.

John
gemdan
Hooked

Ok, thanks for your guidance.

What can I do to get this fixed then? Just waiting an unknown time for a firmware update to be pushed out doesn't seem like adequate service. Are there plusnet support reps on this forum that can actually action this for me? Or another vehicle for requesting help?

jab1
Legend

The update is being pushed rapidly, but you could try posting a request on this topic;https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363#M15510 . No guarantees it will make it any faster, as the PN router guru who monitors it is not always around.

John
gemdan
Hooked

Thank you John, your time and help with this is much appreciated. I will post in that thread...

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @gemdan, thanks for getting in touch I am really sorry for the issues with your WiFi and for the inconvenience caused. If you pop a message on the thread @jab1 has linked for you our products team should be able to get you the newer firmware pushed.

In the meantime, it may be worth amending some of your routers settings.The steps below show you how to separate your routers Wireless frequencies, as having them synced can sometimes cause issues with your devices if they aren't using the best one.

1) Connect a device to your Hub One, once done you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254.

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4) Turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

You will now see 2 available network connections in your settings (if the device is compatible) and can pick which one to use. Please note that the 5GHz has a stronger signal, however, not all devices support this and the range isn't as good. 2.4GHz is what most routers use so can often encounter interference but with that being said, it has a better range and therefore is better used for devices used further away from the router or that aren't stationary.

If you have any issues doing these steps at all, let us know and I can do this for you remotely from our side.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
gemdan
Hooked

Hi @LaurenB,

Thanks for responding and providng this guidance.

I have already posted in the other thread as suggested by @jab1. I do hope this will get picked up upon by your team and my be firmware updated as a result.

I have also just separated the two frequencies as per your suggested temporary workaround. Hoepfully this will make my system more useable in the meantime...

Thanks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for the update! Let us know how things go with the frequencies split and once the firmware is updated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@gemdan - you've probably already seen, but I pushed the firmware to your hub earlier this evening. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gemdan
Hooked

Much thanks @bobpullen, I've done a restart and set the two frequencies to sync again. It's working ok at present but the real test is whether it remains stable. I'll report back on this in a few days to give you feedback...