Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi extender connection problem

FIXED
0bened0
Hooked

Wifi extender connection problem

I have a HUB 2 router. I have 2 TP Link wifi extenders connected to it via ethernet cables (one of which passes through a switch). They are both exactly the same model. One of them (the one that passes through a switch) works perfectly. The other just will not connect to the Hub. I have tried swapping them over with the same result (the one not going through the switch refuses to connect). I have tried pressing the pairing button, un-plugging the extenders power, trying to reconnect, in an endless combination, but nothing seems to work (It has previously connected without issue, just not anymore). I have accessed the hub and can see the device sitting there (greyed out, as I think it just knows it's previously been connected to it) but no way to get it to connect.

Any suggestions welcome!

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Wifi extender connection problem

@0bened0  Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

It is not clear which extenders you are using or how you are connecting them.

Can you please  advise:

Which Plusnet hub you have

The model of the extenders

More detail on how it is all connected together.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

0bened0
Hooked

They are both TP-Link Nano routers, (TL WR802N and TL WR702N) . The one that works fine is the TL WR802N (though as I said swapping them around gives the same result) and is connected from Port 2 via a netgear GS205 switch by Cat5e. The other is connected to Port 1 directly by Cat5e, this is the one that won't connect. The main router is a Hub 2. I can't find model number on it anywhere.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@0bened0 wrote:

They are both TP-Link Nano routers, (TL WR802N and TL WR702N) .

From memory I believe these devices have a number of operating modes; Router, Access Point, WiFi client....  At the risk of asking a stupid question - have you set up the correct Access Point mode in the one that doesn't work?   

0bened0
Hooked

Not a stupid question at all! I've tried to access both of them using the IP address shown on the router manager but nothing shows up. Also, as I said, swapping them round deems to make no difference. It's as though the router just doesn't want to talk to anything on Port 1

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Fix

Is it port 1 that's the problem or the fact that its connected directly rather than through the switch?

What happens if you connect the switch to port 1?

NB. By port 1 you don't mean the red one do you? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro

@0bened0 wrote:   The one that works fine is the TL WR802N...  

If you swap them round does the WR802N not work or is it still the WR702N that doesn't work?

I was a bit unclear reading your description - but it sounds like either device works fine when connected to the netgear switch and neither device will work when connected to port 1 on the Plusnet Hub 2 router ?   If that's the case could it be a cable  or connection problem on port 1....  I guess you probably tried swapping the cable over to see if that's the issue.

Have you tried connecting both Nano routers to the Netgear switch at the same time to see if they both work.

If you can access the Nano routers check they are set up for access point mode (which is the default I believe) and are getting their IP addresses by DHCP.  I suspect by default both these devices would be in AP mode and have a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.254 - if both are trying to use the same address this may well be causing problems.

If you only connect one nano router to port 1 (and the other isn't connected) does it work ok?

0bened0
Hooked

not the red one, no! 

The only thing I didn't try was swapping the ports round (daft!). Just did that, and they're both now working!

Which is great, but I don't know WHY that made them work!

Thanks!

0bened0
Hooked

@Ian06 wrote:

@0bened0 wrote:   The one that works fine is the TL WR802N...  

If you swap them round does the WR802N not work or is it still the WR702N that doesn't work?

I was a bit unclear reading your description - but it sounds like either device works fine when connected to the netgear switch and neither device will work when connected to port 1 on the Plusnet Hub 2 router ?   If that's the case could it be a cable  or connection problem on port 1....  I guess you probably tried swapping the cable over to see if that's the issue.

Have you tried connecting both Nano routers to the Netgear switch at the same time to see if they both work.

If you can access the Nano routers check they are set up for access point mode (which is the default I believe) and are getting their IP addresses by DHCP.  I suspect by default both these devices would be in AP mode and have a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.254 - if both are trying to use the same address this may well be causing problems.

If you only connect one nano router to port 1 (and the other isn't connected) does it work ok?

head spinning a bit now! Swapping the ports round fixed the issue. Hub manager says they are using different IPs

Ian06
Aspiring Pro

@0bened0 wrote:

head spinning a bit now! Swapping the ports round fixed the issue. Hub manager says they are using different IPs

If they are working now and on different IPs that's good, probably best to stop there - could it have been a loose connection or cable?

@MisterW is much more knowledgeable than me, so I'm glad he's been able to help