Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping out

jcj01
Dabbler

Wifi dropping out

Hello!

Our WiFi keeps dropping out, at least once a day.

We have the PlusNet Hub One router with an ADSL broadband.

When the drop out happens our devices appear as still connected to the wifi but no internet connection is available, to sort this we reset the router and things go back to normal until it happens again.

Using an ethernet cable the connection works as usual, even during a drop-out.

Do you know how we could fix this?

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wifi dropping out

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jcj01
Dabbler

Thank you both for suggesting using the search and mostly for moving this to My router section.
The wifi dropped out today once more.

For now, I  am going to follow the instructions suggested here by BD and split 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz wifi
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Multiple-Daily-Disconnects/td-p/1817614

I´ll update with the results!

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for reaching out @jcj01

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your service. Tests on the line this afternoon haven't really picked anything major up to be honest, though the off disconnection every now and again can be seen. I'll pop a visual radius graph on to this post so that you can see these as well. If the light on your router is turning orange when your WIFI stops working, the problem is with the line itself, though if it's staying blue, then it's definitely WIFI related.

For WIFI related issues, please refer to the following pages:

For tips to boost the WIFI service within the property, please click here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

For support in splitting the 5GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, please click here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363

Note - If you've been restarting your router at all, these disconnections will also appear on the visual Radius below.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jcj01
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply @adam945 
The link you referenced as support splitting 5ghz and 2.4 ghz seem to be my issue.
My previous try of splitting 5G and 2.4G was not successful but looking at the links I understand that I have to disable 5Ghz completely.

I´ll try that for now and see if this resolves the problem.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Great stuff @jcj01

sounds like a plan, let us know how you get on.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jcj01
Dabbler

Hello unfortunately the issue still persist
Following the information in https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363

I have tried the first 2 possible fixes out of 4.

1. Disable or toggle the 5GHz radio
  2. Extend the DHCP lease
  3. Use an alternative router
  4. Use alternative Wi-Fi access points

I don´t really see the point of trying options 3 and 4.

Apparently the last resort is to request firmware update on my router, let´s see if that does something.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @jcj01

I'm sorry to see you're having issues still. 

I've tested your line today and the tests are now showing "HIGH RESISTANCE IMBALANCE DETECTED", which can be an intermittent problem, generally caused by wiring or equipment. 

Is your router plugged into the master telephone socket with no extension cabling between the socket and the router?

If that's the case, we'd need to arrange an engineer appointment to investigate further, so could you raise a fault to us at faults.plus.net and in the notes box at the end, please add your availability for a visit.

The available timeslots are weekdays (and occasionally Saturday's) 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. This means we'll be able to arrange an engineer straight away once we've picked the fault up.

If you can post back after you've raised the fault, we'll make sure that is picked up for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jcj01
Dabbler

Hello @Gandalf,

Thanks for your reply, I have just raised the fault.

Although it might be an intermittent issue this has been happening for a few months already. Anyways, glad to hear there are possibilities to fix this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @jcj01

Sorry again for the issues. I meant to say the type of fault we've detected is intermittent in nature, because when Adam tested your line, the tests didn't show the fault. I can see we've automatically raised a fault to Openreach as a non-appointed task, which means this should be investigated externally without a visit. 

We'll update you when we know more, but feel free to post back with how it goes over the next few days. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jcj01
Dabbler

Hello @Gandalf 

The wifi has disconnected 5 times so far within the last hour. making it unusable.

Do you see the same from your end?

Could it be due to the fixes I tried to apply on the router settings or something from your end?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @jcj01

Looks like the problem's due to your broadband disconnecting rather than WiFi so it wouldn't be caused by the settings you've changed in your router. An engineer's been out today and identified a potential wiring issue and advised they'd need access to your property for further investigation.

Can you reply to the support ticket logged on your account Here or the text we've sent with when you'd be free for a visit?

Post back afterwards and we'll make sure the engineer's booked for you as soon as we can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Breeze77

hi @Gandalf 

Sorry to be jumping on the thread here, but I have been experiencing the same issues for the last few days making work near impossible.

My channels have been split for a while and I had the firmware update last summer (when i had a similar problem specifically with 5g).

I carried out a router reset - the first time i did this, the router was very very hot to touch (it even has a bit of a faint rust colour on it - like if an iron had been left on it) so not sure if there is an issue there.

Are you able to complete any of the tests on my system that you have on jcj101?  

thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Breeze77

I'm sorry to see you're having issues too.

Testing your line isn't showing any problems, but based on what you've said and how long you've had your router, I suspect it may have developed a fault, so I've arranged to send you a new one now you should get within 3 to 5 working days. 

Let us know how it goes once you've got it. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet